Exhaust Part III

halojm

True Classic
So, being snowed in with nothing to do, I went out to my garage and fashioned up an entirely new exhaust that exits thru the rear grille. I made up a base flange to bolt up to the Euro (74 style) dual outlet exhaust manifold, then plumbed that thru 1 1/2" pipes into a Megs Exhaust collector.
Exhaust-1.jpg

I attached the collector to a short radius 90 degree 2 1/4" elbow, then directly into a AP muffler for a 1995-2003 Ford Windstar. I attached hanger dowels on both sides, then welded one stainless exhaust tip to the existing outlet, then opened up another outlet and attached the second stainless exhaust tip.
APMufflers.jpg

ExhaustPartIII1.jpg

ExhaustPartIII.jpg

ExhaustPartIII2.jpg

I welded matching hanger dowels to a brace I put under the trunk floor, attached the hangers and welded everything up.
ExhaustPartIII3.jpg

ExhaustPartIII4.jpg

I modified the rear grille to have matching openings for the tips
ExhaustPartIII5.jpg

And here's what it looks like finished
ExhaustPartIII6.jpg

ExhaustPartIII7.jpg

ExhaustPartIII8.jpg

And here's how it sounds
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igyuJ4nmfLQ"]YouTube- Exhaust Part III.avi[/ame]
Dave

That looks awesome!!!

Love the way the tips look out the back grill! Great job and a new saved pic in my idea file! lol

Thanks for sharing

Very Impressive!

Looks and sounds great! Congrats, great work. I have one question though...did your car not have the little recess where the exhaust tip exits on the car body, or did you rebuild it somehow? Thanks for sharing.

Michael

looks good . Im really glad to see you cut the holes in the grill versus the typical square cuts. One observation though.... it kinda look like they arnt centered properly. they look a little too much to the left. maybe a 1/4 inch or so. Or is it just the angle of the vid?

Dave, Great work...

... great craftsmanship and a great mellow, yet throaty sound.

Ya done gud!

I prefer one tip to the side, but I can't argue with how well you did here to make everything blend so nicely.

Thanks for sharing...

Oh... and one more thing... We don't seem to have that kinda HAZ MAT suit yur wearing here in LA-LA-LAND... Is that a PA thing or the latest in Sports Car Fashions I'm just missing out on... again???

(HA!)

Exhaust Access Cutout

My car had the normal (for '75-'87) right side exhaust access cutout, but I replaced that panel with a European model with no cutout.
Dave

Video Angle

I measured and re-measured everything on this exhaust several times before committing, and I was VERY anal about perfectly symmetrical cutouts and outlets.
Dave

HAZMAT Suit?

That, for you guys on the wrong (I'm sorry, West) coast who don't get to experience working on their cars when it's freezing and there is almost 2 feet of snow on the ground, is a Carhartt insulated coverall. I've had that particular Carhartt coverall since 1976, it's got to be some sort of record!
Dave

Would you consider making another???

Maybe you are looking for some parts to cover your labor???? :hammer:

Everyone has a price.... LOL

Arman

I Have to Spend Some Family Time Now

But you can buy the inexpensive muffler here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0390755477&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT, the collector is cheap from Megs Exhaust, pick your own tips, have a muffler shop give you a 75 degree bent 2 1/4" pipe about a foot long and (2) 1 1/2" pipes about 6" long with a 15 degree bend in both. Then it's just a matter of setting everything up where you want it and welding it up. It took about a day of solid work. I see you're up in Mount Bethel. If you're ever down in the Philly area (I live near where 476 intersects 95), pm me and I'll show you how to do it. I even have an extra flange I made and a spare collector.
Dave

Back