LeMons X1/9 Dyno Run

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
Car testing day went well. Not significant problems with the car's new engine or mechanicals.

We bedded in extra brake pads, sorted out a few misc items and generally got the car ready for the next LeMons race at Sears Point (Infenion Raceway).

We did some dyno pulls at the shop located in ThunderHill race way to tweak the engine and see what it will do. Here is some video of the X doing a three in a row dyno run. This is one of several dyno runs that were done that day.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZfDS1Ly4M0"]YouTube- Lemons X19 Triple Dyno Pull.mpg[/ame]

To add some fun and interest to this, Let's have a Lottery as in the past to see who can guess how much power this engine makes on the dyno and to make challenging, what is the power band, RPM and Torque..:hmm:

Hint, the engine was run to 8,000 RPM.

Yes, the body work has changed, it part of the next theme that is not done yet.

Not sure yet..

There are over 20 LeMons races this year across America. Several of them have already been run this year and the sheer cost and logistics limit our LeMons involvement much like any other LeMons team.

LeMons racing has evolved from the Altamont Demo derby days significantly serious racing and the car have improved significantly.

Bernice-
Are you going to run the entire Lemons season?
Rolf.

old cars is hard

Bernice-
Are you going to run the entire Lemons season?
Rolf.

We're taking it one-race-at-a-time right now. Running a Fiat in endurance racing is not a low-effort proposition - we're hobbyists with day-jobs and families, and there's a HUGE amount of work that goes into a) preparing the car for race-day, b) modifying/improving the car between races, c) getting the theme going and continuing to evolve it. It gets easier the more you work on the car, as you figure out how to remove anything unnecessary, and understand how to do things with the least possible number of steps.

It would be significantly easier to just run a Japanese car or scrounge up an e30 bmw and just run it - but not nearly as much fun. I figure we'll keep going as long as everybody is learning something, getting to try out different ideas, and of course having fun.

Also, a plug for Kevin at MCE racing where we did the dyno tuning. He's done work on Fiat's in the past, and also does motorcycle tuning. So our motorcycle-carbed Fiat was right up his alley. He and I worked really well together in looking at the data, tweaking the carbs, looking at the data again. Picked up about 10% more power just by twiddling with the carbs.

I think he was really entertained by our project, and was impressed with what the car could do and how quickly we could make the necessary changes. Patient and knowledgeable. Good guy.

http://www.mce-racing.com/

Last edited:
I have no idea...

Last time I "guessed", I was off by a factor of about 50 percent. Ha!
But I agree with the others, it sounds awesome! :thumbsup:

105 bhp
93 ft-lb
7200 rpm
It sounds pretty smooth and tractable, so I'd give that as a blind guess.

Bernice, how about some details?

I presume there are regulations as to engine modifications, Could you elaborate so that we might use this as a basis for analysis.

Engine size ( 1500 I suppose)
Bosche injection or carbs, or ?
O.E or larger valves
O.E or modified manifold.
Bob T.

Let's make this worth guessing at..

I'll make a trophy from the broken engine parts out of the previous LeMons X engine... This trophy will go to the winner (For those not in the USA, shipping is not included)

The actual dyno curve will not be published until after the LeMons race first week of March at Sears Point, Infenion raceway.

Maybe a Golden Peanute...:rolleyes2:

You get to guess from the contents of this video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTt4jhsq620"]YouTube- Lemons X1/9 Bike Carb Test Run (Italian Stallions)[/ame]

More info would make it too easy..

I presume there are regulations as to engine modifications, Could you elaborate so that we might use this as a basis for analysis.

Engine size ( 1500 I suppose)
Bosche injection or carbs, or ?
O.E or larger valves
O.E or modified manifold.
Bob T.

I have no freakin' idea unless...

"More than a stock X" counts as a winning guess! :)

I am with Bobby B. Not a clue as to the tech specs, but it sounds freakin' awesome.

As always Bernice, good luck to you, cmice and the rest of the Lemons crew.

Back