Exhaust Madness

halojm

True Classic
At least that what my wife calls it! I've been messing around with several different exhausts that exit thru a central location with twin outlets. I started off with a Ford Windstar muffler that I modified for twin outlets, then opened it up and packed it with muffler insulating wrap to quiet it down (note the many welding lines on the outside of the muffler). However, fine particles of the insulation would give the back of my X a "metal-flake" appearance, so I yanked it off.
CenterExitExhaust3.jpg

I liked the simplicity of the Ford Windstar muffler to adapt to a central outlets design, so I built another one using a Walker Quiet Flow muffler.
CenterExitExhaust1.jpg

However, I didn't like the way the exahust flowed thru the Ford Windstar muffler, it just didn't seem very efficient. So, I modified an earlier exhaust system i made up using a cross-flow, twin outlet muffler from a late 80's Camaro. Because the outlets came out the ends, I welded tight-radius, mandrel bent 180 degree exits, into tight-radius , mandrel bent 90 degree exits, then out the rear grill. The result is outstanding, low rumble at idle, moderate sound at cruising speed, and a full-on wail when you really run it up in rpm's.
Dave
CenterExitExhaust2.jpg

Exhaust ideas

Have you looked at the current model Mazda Miata muffler, dual outlets with center intake. Performance muffler for a 1.8L engine. Should be quite and offer low restriction. Also , a longer pre-muffler pipe should enhance performance. I must admit I follow all of your "exhausting adventures" with enthusiam. Thanks for the postings.

Bob T.

Great, another exhaust suggestion!

Now my wife is really going to be happy! Maybe it's a good thing I'm leaving today for a month long mission with the Army in Africa.
Dave

Can't wait to see the finished project

Now my wife is really going to be happy! Maybe it's a good thing I'm leaving today for a month long mission with the Army in Africa.
Dave

You are certainly being thorough in your efforts on this project. At least your wife doesn't have to worry about where you are when you are at home. ;)

Be safe on your trip Dave and thanks for all you do for all of us.

It would have been nice to see the innards, but I guess the gases pass though two perforated inner tubes in the last version?

It certainly looks interesting.

Audio would be nice...

Dave... yur wife is right...

You are indeed a SICK man...

But I love the Camaro system's design and all... especially the tilt to get it to work and fit correctly!

OUTSTANDING... and it actually sounds good too!

Congrats!

How did you avoid resonance with the twin outlets symmetrical around the centreline of the car? When I did my Dallara "tribute" back in 1992, I went for a similar look but got lots of resonance off the back window (flat surface). I know exhaust system volume (internal capacity, not loudness) contributes a lot to this but when I went back to a side outlet the boominess went away immediately . . .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back