Installing Earlier Cover

lookforjoe

True Classic
Did the preliminary install of the early cover from Tim & side covers from Erk (thanks, guys!)

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

had to remove the filler neck & connecting elbow hose, redrill mounting ear & reposition elbow - this allowed the neck to be moved further back & downward

IMG_7357.jpg

repositioned the fuel filter mounting bracket to lower the filter & ouput fuel line. Also had to remove some of the edge of the side panel - earlier cars obviously don't have the horizontal flange visible behind the fuel pressure gauge.

IMG_7361.jpg

Just need the locating pin/bracket for the engine cover stay, and to decide whether to paint body colour or black.

EDIT: Locating pin in place - velcro along bottom edge to prevent spring rubbing the paint off the lower cover..

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7770a.jpg

Last edited:
This is rapidly becoming an extremely tastefully modified X! Love it. I'd lean toward black on the engine cover since the black tailight area and such but body colored Targa might be nice.

Well Hussein... to each, his own...

I can't argue with the quality of the install... but I always liked the simplicity of the later model cover.

I woulda been more impressed with a CLEAR, LOUVERED, GLASS cover offa some Volvo you found...

HA!

New York?

hey Joe
judging from you lic plate letter i would guess you are in lower NY like westchester co.? If you are So are we. if you are lookin for a x to meet at the local events
Let me know
Ron

Hi Ron

I'm in Rockland, just over the TZ :D

Didn't know there were any local events!

hey Joe
judging from you lic plate letter i would guess you are in lower NY like westchester co.? If you are So are we. if you are lookin for a x to meet at the local events
Let me know
Ron

I agree that the later version is simpler - but, I don't like the height of it at all. I'd actually like it even lower than this version, really.

I can't argue with the quality of the install... but I always liked the simplicity of the later model cover.
I woulda been more impressed with a CLEAR, LOUVERED, GLASS cover offa some Volvo you found...
HA!

events

well I mean Weschester cruise nights
Sat night Thornwood thurs nights Portchester Wens night Yonkers
I plan on stopping by them ( if they let me in some have entry gaurds to stop modern mustangs etc from coming in) I have not gone yet hopefully I will have my car in 3 weeks I am planing on going to Rosehill shopping center in Thornwood on Columbus ave July 10th. I have experience with that when I had my "Shogun " # 001 some of the muscle car guys would lean on the entry guard not to let me in because when I was there the Shogun would draw such crowds that the muscle heads were jealous they would tell the gate guards that I was lying and that I had made it in my garage. BUT! I had copies of Motor Trend and Road and Track to prove it was a Chuck Beck creation. But I digress. I will post when our project X is completed and if we will be in Thornwood would be happy to meetcha!

Did mine today too!

Still need the prop rod like you.
IMG_1035.jpg

I may put mesh grille instead of the side grilles.
Bob T.

PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSION

I would also like to get that deck lower and more simplified. I was just studying the problem yesterday. Looks like the intake manifold sticks up a bit, but the rest can be relocated.

I really like the idea of a one-piece trunk lid/engine cover. The little rear trunk is silly anyway and I leave the access panel opened up because I LIKE to see the engine. See a Pantera for an example.

I want to put a solid deck cover, with a bulge if necessary, then ventilate heat out the BACK of the car between the tail lights. Open up that trunk area completely for engine access and show-off.

A simpler version would be just a fiberglass engine cover that goes ALL the way across with a "power" bulge in the middle with a reverse hood scoop to draw air out. And maybe a couple of telescoping scoops that reach out to the sides of the sail panels to scoop cool air in???

I like this idea because it doesn't destroy the originality of the car. Just bolt on stuff.

I would also like to get that deck lower and more simplified. I was just studying the problem yesterday. Looks like the intake manifold sticks up a bit, but the rest can be relocated.

I really like the idea of a one-piece trunk lid/engine cover. The little rear trunk is silly anyway and I leave the access panel opened up because I LIKE to see the engine. See a Pantera for an example.

I want to put a solid deck cover, with a bulge if necessary, then ventilate heat out the BACK of the car between the tail lights. Open up that trunk area completely for engine access and show-off.

A simpler version would be just a fiberglass engine cover that goes ALL the way across with a "power" bulge in the middle with a reverse hood scoop to draw air out. And maybe a couple of telescoping scoops that reach out to the sides of the sail panels to scoop cool air in???

I like this idea because it doesn't destroy the originality of the car. Just bolt on stuff.

Sounds like an Abarth engine cover?
abarth_engine.jpg

I have also thought a lot about this myself. I started a fiberglass project to create a single engine/boot hood but I soon found it too unweildly to get it right. My goal was to have the cover open to the side rather than to the rear window or just a pin setup and pop it on and off completely when needed.

Back