Sender/sensor confusion

My 49 state 79 1500 was not drilled and tapped for a sender. I don't think the oil pressure gauge made it to the US 1500s. I prefer it to the voltmeter they switched to.
Same on all of my US spec 1500 X engines. But I seem to recall some US engines might of had the extra tapped hole in the block? I believe it was @lookforjoe that even found it covered with some soft metal filler. So I double checked all of the blocks I had available to see if maybe the hole was there but covered up......no such luck. I was going to drill and tap that spot to add a extra sender, but the oil filter adapter I used (to allow a remotely mounted filter) had a port for it instead.

Same on all of my US spec 1500 X engines. But I seem to recall some US engines might of had the extra tapped hole in the block? I believe it was @lookforjoe that even found it covered with some soft metal filler. So I double checked all of the blocks I had available to see if maybe the hole was there but covered up......no such luck. I was going to drill and tap that spot to add a extra sender, but the oil filter adapter I used (to allow a remotely mounted filter) had a port for it instead.
I checked my 1500 block for the port after I saw Hussein's post. There was no evidence of the port being drilled, filled or otherwise. I thought about drilling and tapping one at the same location the 1300 had it but figured why take the risk when the issue could easily be solved with an adapter. I don't know if I would go the banjo adapter route again as I had to mess with it a bit to keep it from leaking. I think that more conventional pipe fittings could do the job without resorting to "banjos". I'm getting the same readings on the meter with the sender high on the 1500 block (idiot light port) as I did with the 1300 where the sender was near the oil filter. Also used the same sender from the 1300.

Back