WTB: TC Starter Motor

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Starter on the Scorpion gave up the ghost today. Anybody got a good working starter they want to part with? Cheap? Cuz I bet shipping is going to be expensive...

Thanks,
Pete

Can't tear it down, clean it up, refurb/replace brushes and be good to go? Isn't it usually just brushes that need some TLC?

I'm not sure that's the case here...

It actually seems to be the "bendix", or "solenoid", or whatever that thing is that sits on top of the starter motor. The motor itself seems to be ok.

Pete

Rebuild yours...

Often the contacts in the solenoid are burnt, and can be sanded and polished or turned over/around to provide fresh material.

Any competent starter/alternator shop should be able to rebuild yours for a fair price, and will often give a superior result to off-the-shelf "rebuilt" units.

Thanks guys...

I might dive into it. Time is kind of at a premium right now, working 2 jobs. So while I go the DIY route when I can, sometimes I just want to do a quick R&R and be back on the road.

Pete

My advice...

If you have any good or "old fashioned" starter/alternator shops in your area start there.

There's one in my town that is the darkest, smelliest, grossest place to visit but they do good work. The owner is 100% country folk but does great work at a great price.

If you have any good or "old fashioned" starter/alternator shops in your area start there.

There's one in my town that is the darkest, smelliest, grossest place to visit but they do good work. The owner is 100% country folk but does great work at a great price.

My shop like that went under, must have been the same guys :excited:, it was unbelievable (filthy, unheated chain smok'n but nice guys) They had the parts and the smarts, too bad.

Starter on the Scorpion gave up the ghost today. Anybody got a good working starter they want to part with? Cheap? Cuz I bet shipping is going to be expensive...

Thanks,
Pete

Tis the same starter motor as used on lots of other Fiats... You may need to drill a hole to fit on or remove a locating dowl...
If you can't source one locally I stock rebuilt ones. But as you point out, shipping is not going to be cheap.

BTW, by far the most common complaint right now is not the price of the parts, but of the shipping. And UPS is going up 7% on the second!

Chris Obert

Postage option...

A starter fits in a USPS priority flat rate medium box, $10.50 anywhere in the US in 2-3 days with delivery confirmation, if purchased online.

Found one...

And a big thanks to COOPERTL for sending it on out to me. Shipping was not as bad as I was anticipating, around $20 by USPS.

Thanks again, Terry. Let me know if you need any X parts and I'll check my stash!

Pete

Back