'76 Beta had carbs or FI?

tdskip

True Classic
Hi guys - what fuel system did these run as delivered in the USA? Any summary of the needed SMOG equipment it should have?

Need another car like another hole in my head, so of course I am looking....

Carbs until '81

Hi guys - what fuel system did these run as delivered in the USA? Any summary of the needed SMOG equipment it should have?

Need another car like another hole in my head, so of course I am looking....

I'll check my manuals later, but it should have a carb, sealed fuel system w/charcoal canister, not sure about EGR, a CAT or smog pump. The carb might have a diverter valve and other fancy plumbing. The underhood sticker should have the details.

Thanks guys - great info.

The '76 in Seattle (which I'm sure has already made the rounds) is calling to me. I mean, just look at the seats and tell me it isn't worth the price of admission! '76 requires SMOG down here so need to be careful as to the system being intact.

I'll check my manuals later, but it should have a carb, sealed fuel system w/charcoal canister, not sure about EGR, a CAT or smog pump. The carb might have a diverter valve and other fancy plumbing. The underhood sticker should have the details.

Some more details...

From my buddy KD over on Mirafirori.com:
EGR system, Air injection, some form of EVAP also. Federal cars generally were not required to have Catalysts that early.

Is this that coupe? It's pretty stock I think.

Am extremely certain they didn't have twin carbs. So from that standpoint this car isn't too stock.

In terms of emission control equiptment, it would likely have everything any of the Beta's had at the time as the engines were identical across the Lancia line (there were differences in transmissions).

Fiats of the same period had all that Greg mentions and possibly a catalytic converter as well depending on where it was sold.

'75 Fiats had the following (from a Mira post from the distant past): California versions now required to have catalytic converter. Air pumps and other emission controls are added as necessary.

From a Fiat specs and data page for 1975:
Auto choke system, idle stop device, vacuum bellows controls the partial opening of the 1st barrel throttle from the idling position (fast idle operation setting adjustment).

Emission Control Systems

Engine feed system provided with fuel recirculation (closed circuit) and evaporative emission control.

Crankcase emission control system (closed circuit) by recirculation of blow-by gasses and oil vapors

Exhaust emission control system (reduces air pollution from exhaust gases by the post-combustion process)separate from the CEC system

Thanks Karl.

CA "only" requires what was originally on the car to pass (visual) inspection and then meet the standards in effect when the car was built. If the carb and other bits have gone missing probably not the right one at this point.

Thanks.

According to Haynes...

US models had the following emissions equipment:

1. Warm air intake control
  2. PCV separator
  3. Fuel return line
  4. Fuel tank evaporative emissions collection
  5. EGR
  6. Air pump and diverter valve
  7. Dual points ignition

The pic of the engine with the dual carbs etc. shows that it is not stock and likely has few of these systems intact.

Scorpion engines weren't identical.

In terms of emission control equiptment, it would likely have everything any of the Beta's had at the time as the engines were identical across the Lancia line (there were differences in transmissions).

Fiats of the same period had all that Greg mentions and possibly a catalytic converter as well depending on where it was sold.

'75 Fiats had the following (from a Mira post from the distant past): California versions now required to have catalytic converter. Air pumps and other emission controls are added as necessary.

From a Fiat specs and data page for 1975:
Auto choke system, idle stop device, vacuum bellows controls the partial opening of the 1st barrel throttle from the idling position (fast idle operation setting adjustment).

Emission Control Systems

Engine feed system provided with fuel recirculation (closed circuit) and evaporative emission control.

Crankcase emission control system (closed circuit) by recirculation of blow-by gasses and oil vapors

Exhaust emission control system (reduces air pollution from exhaust gases by the post-combustion process)separate from the CEC system

Scorpion engines weren't identical.

Out of curiosity what was different? For example on Fiats of the period most of the engines were identical with differences in exhaust plumbing generally making the biggest difference in output, 124-131, 128-X1/9.

As we got deeper into the emissions mess of the 70s the engines became more and more alike as they didn't want to have to fully develop and test different versions of the same thing. Something we still suffer in out market as manual transmissions become more and more rare...

And one more detail...

According to my friend KD at Wine Country Motors, the California cars were required to have catalytic converters, other states' "Federal" cars were not.

Most obvious difference was the intake mounted distributor on the Scorpion. There were many subtle difference such as the oil filter/AC bracket, carbs, exhaust manifold, oil pump and pan, water pump, cams and housings...

Out of curiosity what was different? For example on Fiats of the period most of the engines were identical with differences in exhaust plumbing generally making the biggest difference in output, 124-131, 128-X1/9.

As we got deeper into the emissions mess of the 70s the engines became more and more alike as they didn't want to have to fully develop and test different versions of the same thing. Something we still suffer in out market as manual transmissions become more and more rare...

OK so it was packaging of the ancillaries for the application. Did they get different cams (beyond the intake having a dist gear and the exhaust not) or other tuning differenced?

Thanks for taking the time.

I am looking at two Scorpions later this week (one is a basket case, the other may be resurrect-able). More info going int is always helpful.

I guess the crank, rods and pistons were the same! But even the blocks were slightly different. Cam profiles were the same, I think, but as you mentioned, the distributor gear was on the opposite side.

OK so it was packaging of the ancillaries for the application. Did they get different cams (beyond the intake having a dist gear and the exhaust not) or other tuning differenced?

Thanks for taking the time.

I am looking at two Scorpions later this week (one is a basket case, the other may be resurrect-able). More info going int is always helpful.

Last edited:
Back