Sail panel removal

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
What's the trick to removing the sail panels on a 76? I found two very small (8mm) nuts on studs that seem to come down from the sail panel, one near the tail and one up by the rear window glass. Got both of those out, and while the sail panel seems looser, it's not free.

While I'm asking questions, what about the vent grill that's just behind the side window? Is the cap at the top removed and that allows the grill to slide up and out? or do you get the grill out somehow and that allows access to remove the cap?

Thanks,
Pete

sail panel

what are you exactly trying to remove?
inside or outside?
is this an x or scorpion?
mikemo90*aol.com.

Well it's posted in the X1/20 forum

So I'm going to go with "Scorpion". :)

I don't know what you mean by inside and outside, I'm pretty sure it's all one piece.

Pete

Are you talking about where the release cables lead to?

Pete,

The top bolt is also held by the back of the top mechanism. Did you undo that bolt?

Ralph

I did undo those Phillips screws while trying to get the "cap" off the top of the grill, but it didn't seem to release anything. Where is this bolt you are referring to?

Pete

Man, I'm lost now...

By "triangle" trim piece you mean the black piece above the vent grill at the top of the sail panel?

Pete

The '76 sail panels are attached at the bottom by three 6mm studs; one in back and two in front. They are also attached by two pop rivets at the front edge behind the louvered vent. The louvered vent is attached by a single "T" bolt at the bottom, accessed from within the engine compartment. Hope that helps.

Yes, But I had a 77 and maybe there is a difference. I do not remember any pop rivets. Sorry Pete

oooops

I opened new posts and saw the question, and forgot about x's bigger bro'. actually I didn't look at the title.
my bad.:tomato:
mikemo90*aol.com

Someone post a picture, already!

I don't have a Scorpion and can't contribute anything to the solution but I am curious about the question and want to learn the answer.

Can someone post a picture so we know what that part of this car looks like, please? :read::grin:

pics

Sail panel from a '76:
$(KGrHqJHJFcFF2Ms!KUbBRgUulcuNw~~60_35.JPG

On the car:
Badge.jpg

glass version on a '77:
cy6g.jpg

Got 'em off!

Without breaking anything, even. Couldn't have done it without you guys - big thanks. Many more questions coming I'm sure as I get further into the teardown.

Pete

Not sure about your panels

My panels when I removed them had a crap load of foam underneath.
In-fact may car has foam in all sorts of places at the back and oddly enough no rust that I can detect. What was yours like?

Warren

There was a small blob of what might have been foam

at one time, on the inside of each sail panel. It was heavily disintegrated and might also have been some type of insect nest, hard to tell. It scraped off like old dried dirt. Other than that they were fairly empty.

If it was foam, I wonder if they put it there to cut down on vibration of what is a relatively thin panel.

Pete

I will see if I can send you pics

I still have the foam in the sail panel sections. Just curious to see if any one else has this.

Warren

Waking up a very old thread from the dead.
I don't know anything about Scorpions but am considering purchasing one.
Is it possible to replace the solid '76 sail panels with the glass '77 ones? Are they a direct interchange? Finally, does anyone (eg. Monte Hospital, etc) offer the "open" sail panels to do this?
Thanks for the education.

Hey Jeff, as you (most likely) know I have a '77 but I got some '76 panels that I want to finish the same so I can switch them when the mood strikes me. They don't appear to directly interchange but I believe they can be made to.

Sorry it doesn't directly answer your inquiry. Get the Scorp!

Back