NEXEN Tires, appears to have a GREAT Warranty.

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
Looky here:

http://www.nexentireusa.com/about/warranty

Here's the most common size we use and the only one they offer in 185/60x13.

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/passenger-tires/cP641

This might be the better deal overall for the DD's in the group... You will need to research on the others (Federals, Achilles, Kumho's, Falkin's, Toyo's etc. etc.)

EDIT: I can't find anyone that distributes Nexen's in this size! In fact, I have only found Tireseasy.com carrying Federals and Achilles. I did find these TWO on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-NEXEN...0|Rim+Diameter:13&hash=item566e3ae88b&vxp=mtr

... but that's it! I wouldn't know if the warranty is valid with this sale, free shipping but 9% tax for CA buyers, $140 for the set of TWO or about $154 for CA. A set of FOUR Achilles can be had for about the same money... but with road hazard insurance and shipping, would come to $232 dollars. If you can find a set of FOUR Nexens with the warranty, they would run about $280 with free shipping, or only $48 dollars more.

I really thought I found a good deal here... and it is, if you can find the tires! I'll leave it to someone ready to buy to research...

But if you like 205's for the rear... there are plenty to choose from on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk....X205/60x13+tire&_nkw=205/60x13+tire&_sacat=0

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
I liked my Nexens a lot, I like my Achilles even more believe it or not. I swear they're quieter and smoother (but they're new so hard to compare I know). I don't push the envelop so can't speak to extreme performance but I never lost grip and rode often in the rain, and at least a couple times on ice!! They did pretty well on that too.
Winter is roaring up our butts here in Michigan again so the X is staying put for the foreseeable future. I didn't quite make it to 8,000 miles this season, close but not quite.
I would not hesitate to buy either one again. FWIW

Hey, Tony have you ever checked out onlinetire.com ? They carry Nexen and a few other brands in that size. I have always found them to be very reasonable. Since they are in Cerritos I pick mine up at will call, but they do ship nationwide.

Myron... Did you notice their disclaimer on those...

Nexen's?

Lower than Normal Inventory
Please Call to Confirm

Yeah Jeff... I gotta say the same as I can't...

remember my car traveling so SMOOTH with truly balanced tires the FIRST TIME. I'm running the 175/60x13 Achilles up front... and those odd-ball Pro-Meter 205/60's in the rear.

Nicest ride I've had in years... but I too haven't pushed them and in fact, with all our health issues as of late, I've only been running around in our DD. More to come... and I'll let you take the lead.

No I haven't, not until now... I see if you Google...

"onlinetire.com" the first link is a title to TireRack.com.

I have spent some time searching but have never come up with this site before. Thanks for posting!

Here is what I found:

1. Shipping in CA for any 4 tires is about 45 bucks... which is on par with other sites. For the average set of four Californians will need to pay taxes of about 15 bucks... So a total of $60 more if you have them shipped, 15 bucks more if you pick them up in La Mirada.

2. Their TOYO's are about the same price you'll find anywhere but SHIPPING IS FREE. This would be great for all others out of state.

3. Here are the tire sizes and brands available and prices are GOOD!

• 175/60 Two styles of Achilles, One style of Federals
  • 185/60 One style each, Achilles, Federals, Nexens and Toyo's
  • 205/60 One style Vredestein, Three styles of Toyo's, 2/3 are not DOT approved.
  • 175/50 One style Nankang
  • 215/60 One style Kumho slick with two complete grooves which makes them Street Legal, I guess! States they are "Passenger/Performance".
4. NEXENS are priced right here as well and with the added warranty benefits they would easily be worth the little extra money for those DD folks.

This has been fun... Thanks to Kevin Channer for the excellent referral!~

Word of Warning!

When Special Ordering these or other 185 60R 13 tires from any of "the usual suspects" (no names for legal reasons) get the manufacture date stamped on the tire, first. Very few still make this size tires. I beat someone to the last set a Falken Zies 912's
I have NEW, Never mounted sets of NEXEN 662's and Federal Formosa FD1's in this size. Some were made in '06 others as "Late" as '08. The Expiration Date for Tires is SIX years and this is 2015.
Some of these "off brand" tires are also notorious for being "Out of Round"
I bought the NEXENS for my Geo and The Formosa for the Fiat. Took the Falken's off the Geo and On the Fiat and still running the 13 year old tires that came off the Fiat on the Geo, until I rebuild the whole front end. FREE tires are Free Tires.
I got all the parts, but this old FART ain't even working in Sub Zero weather
Buyer Beware!

EDIT: I thought this might be an option, before I saw the Price.http://www.skygeek.com/74-451-127.html

This stuff might just be worth it, considering I'm working on cars 23, 25 & 37years old. Many of the parts I find are NOS. Boots on NOS CV shafts failed within a year. I should have known because the boxes they came in were falling apart. I wonder if it works on NOS Clutch & Brake Rubber seals?

Last edited:
Yeah... GOOD POINT, Red! I thought of this when I...

purchased my "Pro-Meter 205/60x13s" and he had 10 sets of 4 all manufactured (in Turkey) just this last May. I don't usually ask with the popular makes... but as you so mindfully pointed out, when they become rare they could be NOS... and maybe too OLD.

That $225 dollar preservative I see is mostly used for (private) aircraft that would probably be sitting around in the heat for days (months) at a time. Well worth it... but you could also buy another set of tires for the money... Not your Falken's... but you get my point.

The Expiration Date for Tires is SIX years and this is 2015.

Yes and no.. you'll find references that up to 10 years old is acceptable

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

"The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"More recently, The Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice issued May, 2005, states "customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires. Additionally, because in some cases automobile makers--based on the characteristics of the relevant vehicle--stipulate in the owner's manual the timing of tire inspection and replacement. Please read and confirm the content of the owner's manual."

and then..

"
Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.
While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors have joined their European colleagues by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service.

It is important to take into account Original Equipment tires are mounted on wheels and put into service right after being received by vehicle manufacturers, so their calendar age begins immediately.

However the same cannot be said of tires properly stored in a tire manufacturers' warehouse or in Tire Rack distribution centers before they go into service. Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service.

Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle."

Personally, I have seen six year old tires from Michelin that were dry rotted and cracked quite badly on my friend's daily driver.

If you look at my 2006 Yokohama A-539, they look brand spanking new.. for tires that have about 30K kms on them.. my car is rarely out in the sun, never stored below 10C, and always properly inflated. That doesn't mean they're safe, but there are no apparent indications or warnings of a point of failure. I have a new set in bags, but also from 2006 - they have zero heat cycles - tires start aging after a first heat cycle (assuming they've been properly stored).

Here's some more info from Hagerty and Coker tire:

http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Ask-Hagerty/How-many-years-do-tires-last

http://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2014/03/21/Shredded-Tire

Good article:
http://www.hagerty.ca/articles-videos/articles/2010/02/16/Tread-carefully-with-older-tires

So, I don't fully agree that tires expire at 6 years.. but I would say 10 years is my limit - providing they're in great shape otherwise.. but when they start losing their grip, I'm changing them. My X1/9 is a sports car.. I want sports car grip! Buy the best tires you can afford, and you'll be pleased with the results.

Comfort and warranty aren't the biggest concerns.. neither is treadwear. They do need to look good though :)

Well it wasn't me that you beat to the Falken's

:)

I got two sets of 185/60/13 912s from tire-easy back in 2011 and all 8 tires had a manufacture date of 2011 (varying from the 2nd to 6th week of 2011), so very fresh at the time.

IM002992.jpg

I bagged them and put them on a shelf in the basement for future use. I think I will finally mount a set this spring.

It is really depressing to see the selection of 185/60/13 "performance" tires dwindling, but at least the size is still available. I may start running the expensive Toyos eventually, since I really don't put a lot of miles on my Xs. Heck the 78 hasn't moved under its own power in years.

I've been "working" on this tire issue for the last couple years, off an on...attempting to find out what is out there, how you get it, etc. I haven't made a lot of progress so far. Maybe I just need the impetus of having orders.

I have a connection to a tire seller/importer who can get tires from Taiwan/China. I know that isn't everyone's favorite but right now that's the only place I've been able to find anyone who still makes the tires (other than Nexen, which is South Korean). I'm thinking that if I had enough interest I could approach my connection to get an order to come over in the next container. They'd be shipped to LA and would go out from there.

I don't believe anyone is importing these because no current mfrs run these small rim sizes and because the older used car market is too small for the big players.

Federal tire is the Taiwanese name for Bridgestone, IIRC. Bridgestone is Japenese and if memory serves got its start from Firestone. While manufacturing tolerances can vary, particularly with older equipment, the point I'm making here is that my impression is that the various tire makers are mostly using the same compounds and designs and varying the tread styles.

Anyway, some food for thought. The other thing we're going to have to come to terms with is that unless mfrs go back to selling cars with 13s, 14s and 15s we're going to have ever dwindling supply and correspondingly increasing costs. Gone are the days when you can get a set of 13s for $100...or even $300. If any of you have older non-FIAT classics and have had to buy tires from Coker, you likely know what I'm talking about. Which isn't a dig on Coker; it's just the point is the small volume manufacturer doesn't have the huge volume to offset costs and therefore tends to charge a higher price, particularly when they're the only game in town.

Actually - Coker sells Vredestein in 165/70/13's which is the correct OE size for late model X1/9s..

They look ok, but a little skinny - that's all. No, they're not cheap.

Maybe one day they'll have a 185/60/13 as well. who knows..

Hey Jeff... good to hear from you...

As for the manufacturers... I'm finding MORE and MORE the US companies are going overseas... and the foreign companies are coming here because of import duties!

I posted a while back I was finding Goodyear's made in China and Michelins made in the US as just ONE example. The Michelin's currently on my DD are from Turkey

I'd say that RIGHT NOW, one can no longer look at a Brand Name and trust the quality based on the name only. I'd also say the quality of all tires as of late, excluding our 13's, has really come up in the world giving us great traction, smooth rides and excellent wear qualities.

Good to hear from you, hope you and yours are well.

If you are OLD, you too may also remember the...

days when all NEW tires were WRAPPED in brown paper and the high priced ones were wrapped in reflective gold and silver papers!

Kinda like this:

I couldn't actually find any photos but most were wrapped in paper and we had some "dummy" old tires wrapped in foil in stands for display.

Hinda like this:

And look what I found here, HA!

In the US you can get Vredestein tires (Quatrac 3) in 175/65-13's, which is what I have on my car. Good tire, decent price, proper over-all diameter, no body rub.

Back