strut on the engine cover- who's dunnit?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
Lost my big wooden stick, while rebuilding everything....lol
I ran a search, and saw one on the passenger side, I'm guessing one won't fit where the original lift bar thing goes, but haven't fooled with it, as I thought I would see what others have done
so show off your creativity guys and gals.......

well there it is...

that is the one I saw....but could find no mention of how long of a strut you used....could you tell me kind sir?

Strut details

This is taken from the website of the company that I bought mine from:

"These black shaft gas springs combine all the proven reliability of an SPD gas spring with a nitride coated annealed steel rod for strength and corrosion resistance. 15" extended length, 9.5" compressed length, 5.5" stroke, 6 mm rod diameter, 15 mm tube diameter, 40 lbs of force and plastic socket end. 1 per pack."

And here is the URL:

http://www.adventurerv.net/gas-spring-40lb-ext-comp-wplastic-ends-p-2599.html

You'll also need 2 of these brackets per strut:

http://www.adventurerv.net/strut-brackets-p-797.html

I also use one to keep the frunk lid open. The strut is just strong enough to keep it up.

Cheers,

Rob

I think wanabefast did it.

/I saw it a few times and he would pull the cover release and the lid would open. He sold the car to JJ and JJ stripped some parts off and resold the car.

oem, wooden stick or gas strut...

But someone has us all beat

This guy went to the trouble to mold in fiberglass an engine cover prop that resembles a early X bumper. What a visionary among us mere meager mortal Xers. Maybe he had in mind to unveil it at FFO.

:clap:

0515111131a.jpg

Mine arrived Saturday, according to the USPS tracking. However, some bastard stole my packages off the front porch before I got home. They also took my $$$ adjustable Koni's that took weeks to get for my Volvo.

While you guys are at it... don't forget the...

Front and rear trunks also.

Send your thanks to Greg Smith (budgetzagato) for these instructions and photos:

You'll haveta figure out the rear trunk yurself and then post similar How-To photos and instructions here for the next guy!

what I did....

I bought 2 sets of brackets, one set like Rob used, and another that have a tall offset, but was afraid it would be too stressful.....I didn't like the angle of the way he did his, and my flush tee was there too.... so I opted to go thru the stut tower area, like this. Car was already up, so I just unbolted the top strut mounts and lowered it a bit to get in there. I did find that the pressure from the stut makes my engine cover shift a little....I might see if I can find another strut with a little less pressure, and put this one up front.
By the way, they don't carry those mounts there anymore, but found some on Ebay

My replacement strut & brackets arrived today.

Seems like we all have varying ideas on the ideal location for the brackets.

I bought the ones rjplenter listed, but didn't want it to be so compressed as his appears to be, so I mounted my rear plate on top of the strut tower.

Enlarged the bracket holes to 6mm clearance, so the existing strut plate stud passes through, and I drilled another forward of that

X19_0306.jpg

X19_0307.jpg

With a little 'tweaking' of the hinges the lid now stands straight up - so much easier for work access - should have done this one YEARS agO!!!

X19_0280.jpg

2957F070-0914-406F-BCA8-F0E78839C8DD_zpsbkwifoua.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good solution...

I want to do this to my Scorpion of course. The stock engine lid prop results in a 45º opening, looks cool but is silly for any kind of work.

Fortunately the Scorpion engine lid is removable with one 8mm nut. :dance:

Thread revival :D

Going to use these same parts to add a gas strut to the Fiat 500. I can't stand the old school prop rod, there have been several occasions where my wife or I almost pushed down on the hood to close it. I'm sure that would put a lovely twist in the panel, given how flimsy most of the sheet metal panels are on this.

Back