Fiat 128 Sedan Build for the Bride of Burrito

So the yugo 1300 efi head has notched inlet ports? Isnt the yugo injector placement different to the x19 though? It's straight above the port and not angled like the Fiat, so is the notch still in tbe same place? Sounds like the efi yugo head would be a poor mans upgrade for any efi x19 ....

Thats some good info (yugo casting numbers) that I can include in my sohc tome...you don't mind if I use your pics Jeff?
SteveC

I can tell you for certain that the Yugo injector placement differs from the X1/9 placement. I did have to do a little massaging with the die-grinder to make it so the injector wasn't squirting right into a wall. I took the time to clean up some casting flash while I was in there, too. I was holding out for a Yugo intake manifold, but I still haven't seen one pop up, so that ship has all but sailed. I'm sure the port shape is far from ideal, but I seen much more heinous port work make good power on FWD VW stuff.

So the yugo 1300 efi head has notched inlet ports? Isnt the yugo injector placement different to the x19 though? It's straight above the port and not angled like the Fiat, so is the notch still in the same place?

Here are some old photos of a Yugo EFI intake I used to have. The 4th pic shows the injector cut-out on the top of each port on the intake-to-head mounting flange, similar to the FI X1/9 & Strada intake. It's been many years since I've had a Yugo 1300 EFI head in my hands, so I'm assuming (on vague recollection) that the Yugo head would be ported to match for injector (nozzle/spray) clearancing, again like the FI X1/9-Strada heads.

Sounds like the efi yugo head would be a poor mans upgrade for any efi x19 ....

Probably, but you usually have to buy it with the whole car still attached, & the GV+ cars were 1990-91 only here in the USA (ie: not readily available).

Thats some good info (yugo casting numbers) that I can include in my sohc tome...you don't mind if I use your pics Jeff?

Not at all man, go right ahead. Sharing the info is what this is all about. :thumbsup:

Intake

I was holding out for a Yugo intake manifold, but I still haven't seen one pop up, so that ship has all but sailed.

Wait, didn't you recently part out a Yugo GV+ & keep the engine? It didn't have the manifold?

You might try contacting John (Fiatpwr) to see if he has a Yugo EFI intake manifold available. :2c:

The easiest way to verify if this is indeed a Yugo 1300 EFI head is to simply look at the intake ports - they should be factory-notched for the fuel injectors like an X1/9 FI head is. After that, refer to the casting number on the side of the head, just to the left of spark plug #1.

I'd say this looks to be a Yugo 1300 head, due mainly to the noticeably-larger valve deshrouding & the extra "swirl" cut (flow relief) around the intake valve on the short side of the chamber, like on this Yugo 1300 carb (GVX) head I have:

Versus the Yugo 1100 chamber shape where it's a straight line right across the short wall & with tighter valve shrouding clearances:

Yugo 1100 head casting number is: 128A000 4469750

Yugo 1300 carbed (GVX) head casting number is: 01 652 128A6.064

Yugo 1300 EFI head casting number is: ???

Looks like the EFI Yugo cylinder head casting number is 46641 555 128YA13EU

20151229_191433-1_zpstpvpfbhm.jpg

Sorta.

Wait, didn't you recently part out a Yugo GV+ & keep the engine? It didn't have the manifold?

You might try contacting John (Fiatpwr) to see if he has a Yugo EFI intake manifold available. :2c:

Yes and no. The Yugo I parted out came with a F.I. Strada/X1/9 1500 engine swapped in and the original Yugo head in the hatch. The engine ended up being frozen up hard and the head junk.

It's not my proudest moment, but I beat the pistons out of the bores with a 3lb mini-sledge and a block of wood, honed the crap out the cylinders, and slapped it back together with first-oversized rings filed to fit. The Yugo head was the only one I had that didn't need gone through, so onto the block it went.

I'll eventually put together a fresh motor for this car, but this one seems to be surprisingly healthy considering it's checkered past.

Except those 128's are very late model ones... Brazilian made cars reverted to a more Ritmo / strada type brake reaction rod setup (whereas a 128 sedan we all know and love has a full width front sway bar)

sway bar from a Zastava vehicle with a five speed trans solves the problem, as the sway bar has a similar kink in it to clear the trans extension....

If the car was a 128 coupe, then this brake reaction rod would probably be a very simple swap over (as the coupe is a longer distance to the front pickup point than a sedan chassis is)

SteveC

Back