Fiat 850 Coupe 1967(1000OT)

Hermanzini

Daily Driver
Hello!

My name is Roar from Norway and this is my 850 Coupe!
I am in the process of making it into an Abarth 1000OTS.
It will not be 100% correct, but I hope it will be an upgrade from standard at least.
I have an Abarth 1050ccm engine with reversed rotation, with that I need better cooling so I am going to get a front radiator.
I am working on a 1300 OT replica grille, to make it fit I basically have to cut the grille apart and bend it to shape.... But the grille is almost done now!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Picture.

Thank you!

I love the colorcombo, the only bad thing is that it is very hard to find seats with good side support to match that color...

Here is a pic of the engine bay, standard stuff.

The one on the left is going in to "Little Blue".

Great looking car and a nice path forward to a really hot car. Nice job on the grill.

A nice assortment of engines there.

A 1050 is my dream with an 4 port intake head. So far I haven't made much progress on acquiring one...

Roar....Very clean original looking car! Is that a factory color? Thanks for sharing it on this forum, since OTS cars are one of my favorites..
Can you show us or describe how you made your grill trim and the script which I would say is plastic?
Do you have any pictures or details on the OTS and/or OTSS?
What material have you gathered on the OTS other than the factory Abarth poster we have on our walls?
Nice arrangement in your shop with all the glass enclosed models and other nicely arranged items on the walls. :)

'67?

Here is a pic of the engine bay, standard stuff.

Interesting that your '67 has the VIN stamping & ID tag on the front firewall instead of on the inner left fender (below/to the left of the fuel filler tray). And you have the early-style fuel filler tube (1/4-turn type gas cap) & a later-style engine bay courtesy light. :confuse2:

If I may ask, what is the VIN of this car?

A nice assortment of engines there.

A 1050 is my dream with an 4 port intake head. So far I haven't made much progress on acquiring one...

Thank you!

The one on the right is an Abarth 130TC,1998ccm going in my X-1/20.
The middle one is a lady cup A112 Abarth, 1050ccm going in a Fiat 127.
The left one is an A112 Abarth with reversed rotation and a few performance upgrades.

I was so lucky a few years ago to come across 3xA112 engines very cheap, dont think that is possible anymore....

Interesting that your '67 has the VIN stamping & ID tag on the front firewall instead of on the inner left fender (below/to the left of the fuel filler tray). And you have the early-style fuel filler tube (1/4-turn type gas cap) & a later-style engine bay courtesy light. :confuse2:

If I may ask, what is the VIN of this car?

Not sure where the id stamp should be, but on the s1 coupe's I looked at before I bought this it was in the same place on the firewall.
Maybe it is an USA/Europe thing...?
The car Is 49 years old, so possibly a lot has changed since new... :)

The win is line #2 on this (non original) badge.

Roar....Very clean original looking car! Is that a factory color? Thanks for sharing it on this forum, since OTS cars are one of my favorites..
Can you show us or describe how you made your grill trim and the script which I would say is plastic?
Do you have any pictures or details on the OTS and/or OTSS?
What material have you gathered on the OTS other than the factory Abarth poster we have on our walls?
Nice arrangement in your shop with all the glass enclosed models and other nicely arranged items on the walls. :)

Thank you! :)

The color is a factory color, dont remember the name but can find out!

The grille was bought from GMR, Belgium. It is made for 1300/124, so it is a little wider and deeper than an OTS/OTR grile.
The thing is when I got the grille it did not fit the car at all, it was flat!
The 850 is not at all flat in the front, in fact it has a very complex shape. I had to cut out the masking, cut the frame in 4 places and bend it to match the bodyshape......Many hours/no picnick! :-D

The script is a plexiglass piece with writing on the back.
When I got the grille to fit the car, the scriptplate did not fit at all so I had to cut it to the right shape.
Also had to change the writing from1300 to 1000!

I have looked all over the internet to find pictures of the technical details and have found a few, very little info on these cars out there.

Roar

VIN locations...

Not sure where the id stamp should be, but on the s1 coupe's I looked at before I bought this it was in the same place on the firewall. Maybe it is an USA/Europe thing...?
The car Is 49 years old, so possibly a lot has changed since new... :)

On very early 850's (up to mid-1967 or so), the VIN stamp & alloy VIN tag are located on the left inner fender wall, just above the bumper mounting bracket, between the taillight area & the fuel filler tray - there's a bulge in the inner fender metal there. That's where the VIN was stamped into the body, with the VIN ID tag mounted just above this. (I have a good photo of my early-'67 Coupes' VIN stamp like this, I'll post the photo when I get home later tonight).

Later 850's had this moved to the front firewall, where yours is located. This was not a Europe vs. USA thing, it was done on all production 850's. If your VIN is 0125949, then your car was at the tail end of the 1967 models, so some of the mid-'67 body/parts changeovers like these would be appropriate.

The win (VIN) is line #2 on this (non original) badge.

This plate is not only non-original, but AFAIK also not appropriate for a Fiat 850-based Abarth (it was used on some of the 600D-based & other Abarths). Plus, the TIPO stamping of "1000 OTS" is not what would've been stamped there anyway (if this tag was used), it would've been an "ABA xxx" number. I'm not at home right now, so I don't have access to my chassis/tipo data, but I think it was something like "102/D" or "202/D" for the OTS?

EDIT: A little online sleuthing got me the following info on the Berni Motori website:

http://www.bernimotori.com/abarth_monoalbero_en.html

Engine Suffix: 202/D
Chassis Suffix: 102/D
Model Type: 1000 OTS coupè
Bore x Stroke: 65x74
Unitary Capacity: 245,554
Total Capacity: 982,218
Notes: Der. 850 FIAT
Rotation: LH

Last edited:
Paint code

The color is a factory color, dont remember the name but can find out!

The original 3-digit Fiat paint code # is stamped at the bottom of your alloy Fiat VIN tag mounted on the firewall. It will likely be stamped twice (next to each other), once for the body color & once for the roof color.

Give us the paint code #, & I can probably tell you the name of the color. :italia:

Thank you, Jeff!

Lots of great info there!
I will make a new Abarth tag with the right model designations. It looks so good!:)
There is a square on the left side of the engine room for such a tag, like you said.

The original 3-digit Fiat paint code # is stamped at the bottom of your alloy Fiat VIN tag mounted on the firewall. It will likely be stamped twice (next to each other), once for the body color & once for the roof color.

Give us the paint code #, & I can probably tell you the name of the color. :italia:

I will check this out tonight, thanks!
Wonder what color this thing had when new....? Have a feeling it is grey...

Re: Early VIN location

On very early 850's (up to mid-1967 or so), the VIN stamp & alloy VIN tag are located on the left inner fender wall, just above the bumper mounting bracket, between the taillight area & the fuel filler tray - there's a bulge in the inner fender metal there. That's where the VIN was stamped into the body, with the VIN ID tag mounted just above this. (I have a good photo of my early-'67 Coupes' VIN stamp like this, I'll post the photo when I get home later tonight).

Ok, here's where the early-model 850 VIN is located:

Re: Paint code location

I will check this out tonight, thanks!
Wonder what color this thing had when new....? Have a feeling it is grey...

If you look at my Coupe VIN tag below, the paint code can be seen at the very bottom of the alloy tag. My car had paint code #233 (Bianco/White) as original on both the body & the roof.

Fine-tuning "the look"...

I will make a new Abarth tag with the right model designations. It looks so good!:)

The replica front grille, side badges & rear lettering are all good steps in creating a good-looking tribute car as you're doing. Even better when these items are applied correctly on a car as beautiful & well-kept as yours is. But seeing as how the 850-based Abarth cars never had any type of Abarth ID tags on them, installing a fake tag will only make the car look foolish (my :2c:). Why cheapen all the hard work you've done to make your car look good & look (reasonably) like an OTS by installing an obviously-fake & inappropriate tag like this? :confuse2:

"Disguising" your 1050 engine just a bit more using a few Fiat 850 bits would help to give it an older "period" look, as well. I see you have a block-off plate where the 1050 fuel pump would normally be mounted, so I'm guessing you'll be using an electric fuel pump? If so, swapping your 1050 timing chain cover with a regular Fiat 850 one would get rid of that big ugly fuel pump mount bulge at the front/left corner of your engine.

Removing the coolant tube from the front/right corner of the cylinder head (above the generator mounting studs) & plugging the hole with a hex plug (or welding-up the hole) would also help get rid of (or at least reduce) things that would normally be out of place on an OTS engine.

With just these 2 minor modifications, your 36DCD/manifold & OT1000 sump (& maybe a nice exhaust/header system) in place & no inappropriate badges/emblems/tags in sight, a quick glance into your engine bay would have things looking fairly appropriate for an OTS or OTSS tribute car (the only obviously-noticeable difference being the oil filter on the side of the engine). :)

Do you also have an "OTS" rear script? (they're elusive)

Back