Does anyone have an experience using Argentina Mercado Libre?

Kevin Channer

True Classic
I was recently viewing Fiat 128 parts on Mercado Libre in response to (Tony S) request for a radiator. I was impressed with the variety of parts and the prices. Does anyone have any experience using this site? I know they are partially owned by ebay, and I guess I am wondering if it is as reliable? Also what is shipping like? George/Cozzoi if you are listening out there feel free to chime in.

I found there was a bit of difficulty buying things from Argentina, payment requires an ID number (like a social security number) which was the sticking point...

SteveC

That's an interesting requirement, I wonder if it has to do with money laundering or tax evasion? Its to bad because if there is a work around based on the prices it looks like it could be good parts source.

Mercadibre is partially owned by ebay, but it works completely different. Seller lists the product, buyer buys it now (rarely in an auction) and then both receive an email from mercadolibre with each others phone contact and email, so they could contact each other, meet and close the transaction.
Anyway you can open and account and ask the seller before buying, about online payment methods accepted (Paypal is available in L.America but rarely used in mercadolibre transactions) and shipping quote, but be sure to ask for Paypal insurance, otherwise I would not recommend you to consider any buying.
As far as I know, ID number is not required, at least not in mercadolibre Peru or mercadolibre Chile.

Last edited:
Randomly found this thread while searching for something else.
I've never heard of "MercadoLibre". I have discovered other, non-eBay, sites based in other parts of the world that offer exceptional deals on great items. I've been using a couple of them with no issues; easy payment using credit cards (with offers the card's backing if needed, in addition to that offered by the selling site), rapid shipping (it's often faster from around the world with their carriers than it is across town with USPS), very good communication (I barely speak English, and certainly no other languages), great support, and better customer service than I've ever found in the US.
So I'd like to learn more about MercadoLibre, please offer any input you may have.

Last edited:
Randomly found this thread while searching for something else.
I've never heard of "MercadoLibre". I have discovered other, non-eBay, sites based in other parts of the world that offer exceptional deals on great items. I've been using a couple of them with no issues; easy payment using credit cards (with offers the card's backing if needed, in addition to that offered by the selling site), rapid shipping (it's often faster from around the world with their carriers than it is across town with USPS), very good communication (I barely speak English, and certainly no other languages), great support, and better customer service than I've ever found in the US.
So I'd live to learn more about MercadoLibre, please offer any input you may have.

Feel free to post about the other selling sites you have found. North American Ebay is damn near useless, there is so much crap shoveled into a search that what might be 5 pages of actual Fiat parts turns into 100 pages with one or two actual fiat parts on it...ugh

North American Ebay is damn near useless, there is so much crap shoveled into a search that what might be 5 pages of actual Fiat parts turns into 100 pages with one or two actual fiat parts on it...ugh

use the (-) symbol to remove the crap from showing up in your search.
For instance adding ( - fits ) at the end of searching for Fiat x1/9 removes all the added garbage with those ads flooding eBay with : (Fits: Fiat X-1/9).

just like this: fiat x1/9 -fits

You can exclude any word you don't want to see in your search that way..:)

there is so much crap shoveled into a search that what might be 5 pages of actual Fiat parts turns into 100 pages with one or two actual fiat parts on it
Unfortunately the search functions on foreign sites are actually worse due to certain language issues. For example a seller may describe a part that we know by one name using an entirely different word because of a mis-translation. So not only does his part not come up in your search, but you get all of the other completely non-relevant items that were mistakenly listed by the name you used in your search. Frankly it's very sad to say but our eBay has one of the better search engines I've found because at least it offers some filters. For example, what success do you find when searching Amazon? HORRIBLE!

use the (-) symbol to remove the crap from showing up in your search
I did not know that, awesome! Thanks, I love learning new tricks like that. Another thing I do is to adjust the price range to eliminate everything below a reasonable level for the item you want. For example if you are searching for something that can't possibly cost less than $50, you exclude everything priced below say $25. That cuts out all of the little non-relevant trinkets that clutter the results when you show the results in order of price (low to high). Also I typically filter out everything but "buy it now" (only because I don't want to bother with all the bogus 'come-on' listings starting at $.01), and I filter out everything but "new" items. Those two alone cut the results at least in half. But I love that "-" feature!

Back to the subject, on MercadoLibre I found some interesting aftermarket 'go-fast' engine parts for older Fiats (like the Uno) that are popular vehicles in their markets today. They have "tuner" companies there that make stuff for them that we don't see. And given their economy and the exchange rates, they are amazingly inexpensive. I will attempt to message the sellers of a couple items to find out more about purchasing and shipping to the US. But the sites are not in English so I have to use Google Translate, therefore I'm not sure how the messaging will go. Wish I was fluent in other languages.

Last edited:
Hello "Greg (in Conn)", I wanted to send you a message but your profile page has that feature blocked. Please contact me, I'm interested in something you may have for sale. Thanks, Jeff

use the (-) symbol to remove the crap from showing up in your search.
For instance adding ( - fits ) at the end of searching for Fiat x1/9 removes all the added garbage with those ads flooding eBay with : (Fits: Fiat X-1/9).

just like this: fiat x1/9 -fits

You can exclude any word you don't want to see in your search that way..:)

Best tip in a long time. Thanks!

Feel free to post about the other selling sites you have found. North American Ebay is damn near useless, there is so much crap shoveled into a search that what might be 5 pages of actual Fiat parts turns into 100 pages with one or two actual fiat parts on it...ugh
Karl,
If I ever go to Fleabay I put OEM on the search and all the fuzzy dice, dashy board carpets and bobble head hula ornaments go away... Anyone here should also list OEM so we can avoid the 28,000 pieces of robo-listed garbage!
Regards

I tried couple yrs ago to buy some stuff from Mercado libre for my 128, and cause i speak spanish thought it was a done deal.Well 99.9% of all sellers refused to, the other .01% tried but came back saying no also or never replied me back.

99.9% of all sellers refused to, the other .01% tried but came back saying no
Was that "refusal" or "no" pertaining to selling/shipping to a USA buyer? Or another reason?
I have not contacted anyone there yet but I found some great parts that I can't find elsewhere, and at terrific prices. So interested to know why it did not work.
Thanks

Seems like its a hassle for them to ship international, like a lot of goverment bullcrap/hassle , lets say probably customs.Most of the time they told me local only...

Thanks. I can see that happening, some countries are funny about packages going in or out. I have a friend with family in another country and they come to the US for a visit and load up on a bunch of stuff to take back. They can take it back as luggage but it can't be shipped there.

It occurred to me we may be talking about a different Mercado Libre, they are in several countries. Maybe the international shipping isn't as much of a problem with some locations. I'll try sending a request for information.

I was looking at the Brazil site. I want to ask about an item but I do not speak Portuguese or even Spanish, and not sure how well English will work. I've been using Google Translate just to read the site, and frankly that only gets you so far. But I know someone that is fluent in Spanish (well accepted in Brazil despite Portuguese being the primary language) so I'll get her to help send a message.

Was that "refusal" or "no" pertaining to selling/shipping to a USA buyer? Or another reason?

I tried using this same website several years ago to obtain some very rare Fiat 128 parts (unique to an Argentinian-built variation), but was told by several sellers that they are not allowed to export items due to government regulations (Argentine government, not USA).

Thanks Jeff, that corresponds to the experience "Karfrik" had with the Argentinian site. I will be curious to see if that also holds true for their site in other countries. Hopefully I'll be able to contact the Brazilian one this coming week.

Back