1977 X for sale in Cleveland area - not mine

Is that a passenger side A-pillar radio antenna I see? Wonder if the dealer did that, or someone added it later. Looks similar to what is on the Scorpion, and also the 80's Honda CRX.

Pete

Is that a passenger side A-pillar radio antenna I see? Wonder if the dealer did that, or someone added it later. Looks similar to what is on the Scorpion, and also the 80's Honda CRX.

Pete

Hi Pete,

My 78 has the A-pillar antenna. Perhaps it was factory for some early years? Or maybe just where Fiat suggested to add it when dealers put in a radio in those years?
photo_op3.JPG

Interesting. I thought all the stereos were dealer-installed items. However, the factory did run antenna coax wire to the passenger side trunk area, at least on the later cars. So I assumed that's where all X antennae were located. I wonder if the switch occurred with the dashboard change-over. I don't think I've ever noticed an X with the antenna anywhere but the RHS rear quarterpanel top. You learn something every day...

Pete

My step mom's original X (the first in the family) was identical to this car but with a white interior. It had the A pillar mounted radio antenna.

All of my big bumper cars had a rear mounted antenna.

Interesting. I thought all the stereos were dealer-installed items. However, the factory did run antenna coax wire to the passenger side trunk area, at least on the later cars. So I assumed that's where all X antennae were located. I wonder if the switch occurred with the dashboard change-over. I don't think I've ever noticed an X with the antenna anywhere but the RHS rear quarterpanel top. You learn something every day...

Pete

My 1978 X1/9 has a powered retractable antenna running upward from the left rear trunk. I wouldn't trust the originality of this as I do not have a radio and my dash has never been cut. No clue if its the original dash or not.

Back