Stuck head removal plate

bpimm

Brian Pimm
Does anyone have the head removal tool that bolts on in place of the cam box to pull a stuck head? I've seen pictures and costa mesa r&d has a video of theirs but their website is dead. Before I start laying one out I thought I'd see if there is one floating around to rent or borrow.

Thanks.

I remember that tool. Several members reported it to be very effective a few years ago (I might still have posts about it saved on my old hard-drive, but I'm sure the attached images are gone thanks to Photobucket). I don't think "R&D" is still around but the tool should be. Hopefully someone here will offer one up. If not, do you have good enough images to be able to reproduce it from? Let me know if you don't and I'll see if any of the old ones are still on my other hard-drive.

Check in on Mirafiori. I think they have one in their loaner tool bin.

like this...

head removal tool.JPG

the real tool has pretty fancy "bolts" to press down on the studs which have a captive ball bearing in the end, so it doesn't mangle the end of the stud.

Most difficult part will be angling the bolts relative to the plate.

SteveC

like this...

View attachment 4850

the real tool has pretty fancy "bolts" to press down on the studs which have a captive ball bearing in the end, so it doesn't mangle the end of the stud.

Most difficult part will be angling the bolts relative to the plate.

SteveC

Yep that's the beast, I measured the angle to be 20 degrees and the patent drawing backs that up. If Mirafiori doesn't have one to borrow I'll start laying out the plate. it wouldn't hurt to have a couple extras floating around. I'll see what I can find for a bearing to press on the bolt.

I found some small thrust bearings I could put in the end of the bolt but they are only good for 400 lbs and are $56 each, I think a rounded bolt should work without to much damage to the stud, besides the studs probably could use replacing after 40 years.

I just joined Mirafiori, any idea where the info on the loaner tool bin might be? I try searching a little later.

I don't know that there is a link for the "tool crib", but I believe Pete Angel is the crib keeper. Post a message asking to borrow the head tool from the crib and Pete will get back to you. If you search for "Tool Crib" you will find the posts where JeffV was borrowing the head tool a while back.

Strange that someone tried to patent a tool that is already made by the factory and several aftermarket makers in Italy... the Oreca one shown above has the word 'brevettato' stamped on it that means 'patented' ... you can still buy them out of Italy for about 100 euro.

SteveC

I don't know that there is a link for the "tool crib", but I believe Pete Angel is the crib keeper. Post a message asking to borrow the head tool from the crib and Pete will get back to you. If you search for "Tool Crib" you will find the posts where JeffV was borrowing the head tool a while back.

Thanks Jim I found that thread and sent him a message.

Very nice work Brian. :) I may need that if I ever decide to disassemble the 1300 I pulled out of my 78.

50/50, there is a drawing made from a gasket for the mounting holes and the clearance for the valve springs, but no drawing for the angled push bolts. I bolted the plate to a head and used a transfer punch to mark the locations, clamped it on the mill at 20 degrees and drilled and tapped it.

Here is a copy of the tool drawing, this does not include the push bolt locations. It is also made from a gasket so the holes don't line up perfectly but they are oversized enough so they work fine, they're drilled at .375" or 9.525mm. I used .500 X 20 tpi bolts and rounded the ends so it would push in the middle of the stud.

I renamed the drawing to .txt so it would be in an acceptable format for the forum, just remove the .txt and replace the . before the dxf and hopefully it will still be a dxf file.

Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• Head removal tool dxf.txt
    51.4 KB · Views: 244
Back