'87 Bertone X1/9 for sale ... low miles but rusty

steve_2.0

Low Mileage
My Mom bought this car new in '87 and drove it until '96 when she parked it. It sat from '96 until 2010 in her backyard in NJ with a tarp over it and rusted. The chassis may be salvageable, but I wouldn't count on it. I brought the car out here to So Cal in 2010 and changed all the fluids, belts (timing, etc), new cap and rotor, new plugs, new plug wires, rebuilt the brake calipers, etc. And go figure ... it started right up on all 4 cylinders. Drove it around the parking lot and noticed that one the short fuel injector hoses between the fuel rail and the injectors was spraying fuel. Parked it in my garage and haven't touched it since.

And so ... it's time to part with my X. I don't have the time or the energy to make it whole again.

The car is whole apart from the following (mostly lost to rust)
-missing nose panel although a replacement is included with the car
-missing hood - beyond repair
-missing headlight buckets - beyond repair
-missing engine cover - beyond repair
-missing exhaust - more rust that metal but the manifold is still intact

Not sure what it's worth, so I'll just say $1000 obo. I know it's not worth that, but ... obo. The drivetrain is original and never modified. It does have Konis on it and Faza stage 1 lowering springs along with some custom camber plates in the front. And the mileage is correct in the pics ... 55,297.

Hopefully someone can make use of the car. Car is located in Tustin CA, 92780.
-Steve Ramm

X_01.jpg X_02.jpg X_03.jpg X_04.jpg X_05.jpg X_06.jpg X_07.jpg X_08.jpg X_09.jpg X_10.jpg

Last edited:
There is a great deal that looks good on the car. It would be a great place to start for a conversion to a Dallara or other body style as some here have done. Wish it were closer...

Good luck with the sale.

Hello steve_2.0

Xweb FS&W rules require an asking price. You can add an "or best offer" to your price to let people know you are flexible.

Thanks

Based on her choice in cars I'd say your mom is cool!
How badly rusted is the under-carriage, rockers, lower corners, etc?

If you have no luck selling the entire car and decide to sell some parts from it, please let me know. There are a few items I would pay well to get.

Based on her choice in cars I'd say your mom is cool!
How badly rusted is the under-carriage, rockers, lower corners, etc?

I kinda pushed her towards the X 1/9. I had two previously and this was her 2nd. She also had an MG TD, Alfa Spider, Porsche 356, Porsche 912 (x2), VW Dasher (???), Volvo 242GT, the two X 1/9's, BMW 323ci, BMW 325 coupe and finally a Volvo C30.

Anyway, to answer your rust question ... yes. There are some holes in the footwells (a'la Flintmobile), the rockers actually aren't that bad somehow, but there's a ton of rust on the front end and there are some holes in the front trunk side walls. It's not the normal X 1/9 rust pattern ... probably because it was sitting under a tarp and getting rain and snow mostly on one side. The doors are really rusty near the bottoms.

If you have no luck selling the entire car and decide to sell some parts from it, please let me know. There are a few items I would pay well to get.

Will do. I'd really like to just get rid of the whole thing in one shot. I could really use the other half of my garage back. :)

That's an impressive list of cars; your mom is beyond cool!
Given the amount of cancer on it, if you do decide to part it out I have a list of items to buy from it.

Thanks Steve. I think at $1K it should sell quickly. It looks like there are a lot of good parts there.

Not a problem. First time I've ever posted something for sale here.

That's what I thought. I don't think there are many 55K mile drivetrains around anymore. Still amazed that it fired up on all 4 cylinders. I had a '76 and a '77 many years ago and those would misfire if I didn't start them for a few days.

Soooooo, this X is still holding down my garage floor and really needs to find a new home. It's definitely a parts car unless you like the feeling of the wind rushing up your pants legs through the rust holes in the floor.

Any offers over $500. Drivetrain is good, low miles, and interior and electrical all work.

I'm in Virginia so I'm out but you guys near him are total idiots if you don't buy this X as a parts car at that new price.

That's harsh, but I can't say my own sentiment is close to the same. What's cool (in a sense, I'm guessing NOT so much for Steve) is it's still there & hasn't been hauled off to a pull-a-part of whatever. Oh, that's just for the rust free cars with a bad plug wire in California, right? (just kidding... )

If interested I'd possibly trade you a mint "Dino" steering wheel with hub for that wheel and hub. Pm me if interested

Back