Karl! Why are you keeping this from us???

rocco79/138

True Classic
http://www.harveycadillac.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Firebird
14397184710x640.jpg

I have nothing to say...
:)

Oh my. What the hell is that and how did you find it?

Words fail me. So many kinds of eeeewwwooo.

Needle in a haystack! My first car was a '70 Camaro and seeing one at the last Cars and Coffee in Asheville brought it back to the surface. So I was trolling Autotrader classic just so... 1979 is the highest production year so least costly to aquire. A good friend drove his family Firebird Formula 400 during the same period and the Pontiac can be less $ as they are somewhat less sought after. So I changed the search from '78-'80 Camaro to Firebird and voila! There she blew! A red whale of sorts! And right near you...
My dad and I used to go to auto show in Detroit (custom mostly but the International on occasion) and there was a really nice F body concept that we saw there and in one of the GM hot rod mags. It was very much NOT like this car!!!
Once found, I knew I had to pass this car along! I think customs are rather hard to place but this one...ugggh!
Regards

If they would have made the overhangs shorter on each end and not put on all the "Italia" dodads and the Cadillac grille, it wouldn't have been so bad. Crude cut and paste of what it could have looked like....
22221523_1808233799204103_7443075531219500640_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not a 79. Interior, hood, hatchback indicate it is the next generation 1982 to 1991. Looking at the engine compartment would guess early year probably 1982 or 1983.
Still pretty interesting.

Sorry I am not going to go check that thing out for anybody. I value my sight.

If they would have made the overhangs shorter on each end and not put on all the "Italia" dodads and the Cadillac grille, it wouldn't have been so bad. Crude cut and paste of what it could have looked like....

I am fascinated of how much better it looks after this very simple edit of the pic.
Says a lot on how bad the proportions were on the actual car.
Could also be that mr Valente has some real skills in automotive design.

Yes it does look much better with less overhang. Proportion is a huge part of design. That car lacked proper proportion in so many areas of its design. Adjusting those elements makes it look much more like a Zagato or Frua design.

Nice job.

Last edited:
I am fascinated of how much better it looks after this very simple edit of the pic.
Says a lot on how bad the proportions were on the actual car.
Could also be that mr Valente has some real skills in automotive design.
Thank you! I wanted to be a car designer but my mom was pretty insistant that I go the math and science route and I don't think I had/have the talent to get me through art school. I have a few freinds that are designers (one even ran the Fiat design studio in the 1990s) and I try to learn as much as I can from them...
But yeah, I kind of want to buy the car and chop it down to size now :) It looks to me like a mash-up of a Matra Murena a Ferrari 365GT/4 and an AC3000ME
WP_20151228_003.jpg

Looks good like that, a 944, yes I know, old thread

Back