Side vents/ducts, and now Snorkels!

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I don't recall this being discussed before (although I'm sure it has been at some point). This falls under the "customized X" category, so if you are a purist then you might go to the next thread now. :D

I've been considering a custom "large intake duct" modification for the side vents (that feed cool air to the engine bay). The motivation is two fold; 1) I think it would look good, to me the stock ducts seem too small proportionately for the car; and 2) Hopefully they would bring more cool air into the hot engine compartment. I guess now would be a good time to mention that I don't have anything connected to the stock ducts on the inside (none of the blowers, hoses, etc). So the ducts just serve to direct air into the general bay area as the car is driving.

There are a few directions (style wise) this could go:

Larger 'scoops' over the existing openings, replacing the stock 'boxes'. This is sort of along the lines of what FAZA did as part of the Abarth Stradale package, but I'm thinking more like this example from the MR2:
toyota-mr2-carbon-fiber-side-air-duct.jpg

Bigger openings with 'grills'. Maybe something like some early Porsche Turbo's had:
1989-Porsche-911-M491-air-vent.jpg

Or on the Miura:
Monterey 2012 025.JPG

Although I think the X's body is too small for the full "Testarossa" look. I believe it was the Eurosport body kit that tried a version of this?:
56589539-770-0@2X.jpg

I like several of the 'vintage Italian sports car' styles:
Monterey 2012 139.JPG

Monterey 09 009.JPG

002.JPG

Has anyone built something along these lines?

A few more to look at.

The 288 GTO:
ebay165790.jpg

Perhaps one of the modern Lamborghini versions could be 'down-sized' and 'retro'fied' to work...but I prefer a more vintage look:
lambo-sides.jpg

I failed to mention this concept would be for a street car, not a track car. So I don't think the 'NACA' duct would be appropriate:
v_Lamborghini Countach Anniversary ventd.jpg

Classic Benz 300SL (but reversed):
engine-air-vent-on-a-mercedes-benz-300sl-car-s07jj9.jpg

I removed the inside plastic half, it seemed to open up the corners inside the engine bay; I also followed Tony's (Blacktooth's) advice to cut out the smaller "grid" on the back of the outer duct, nearly doubling the open area for airflow; all that's left are the vertical slats. Only noticeable under fairly close inspection.

Jeff

I removed the inside plastic half, it seemed to open up the corners inside the engine bay; I also followed Tony's (Blacktooth's) advice to cut out the smaller "grid" on the back of the outer duct, nearly doubling the open area for airflow; all that's left are the vertical slats. Only noticeable under fairly close inspection.

Jeff

Yep, I did the PAPA Tony air scoop grid mod, too, leaving just the vertical slats.

I'm with you there Dom. About as bad as the old Boxster:
hupyy8u7u0mq4lgekxdc.jpg

Although Porsche has improved that:
6c477abf-2751-4976-b60c-b7d8eaa64291_teaser_720x406x1_5.jpg

Thought I'd give it the best chance of looking good, at least for any tennis fans.

I realize style preferences are very subjective, more a matter of taste than design. But I think in this case is could be both, a design improvement (increased cool air intake) as well as an aesthetic improvement.

I like that the stock ducts fall within the body recess along the side panels, but they seem a bit anemic:
Fiat-X1-9-1972-1600-02.jpg

Especially when the X is given a "performance" look; larger wheels, lowered stance, cleaned-up trim, etc:
13.png

df29a862cfd8ba935cf9a5210e8e5925.jpg

Even more so if wider fender flares have been added:
7174711492_602b86fe4f_b.jpg

TAS2016-03.jpg

Another way to illustrate this is by comparing the latest concept X1/9 with a rendering of another X1/9 concept idea:
fiat_x1_9_concept_front_by_x_tomi-d5kup0o.jpg

4dc3fc26fda6d548d26b5b5afe5df05a.jpg

The two are very similar overall - and I like both - but to me the second example is much bolder with it's increased side ducts.

I guess this might be an appropriate moment to re-emphasize that I am purely looking at this as a "customized" (non-stock) view of what could be done to the X. No offense is intended to the original styling of it in any way.
I'd love to see some visual examples of various duct designs applied to the X but I lack any skills with graphic software, Photoshop, etc. Anyone able to offer something to look at? Thanks

Good point. They need to flow with the body lines and have an appropriate size for the application.

Another way to illustrate this is by comparing the latest concept X1/9 with a rendering of another X1/9 concept idea:
View attachment 5642
View attachment 5643

The two are very similar overall - and I like both - but to me the second example is much bolder with it's increased side ducts.

I guess this might be an appropriate moment to re-emphasize that I am purely looking at this as a "customized" (non-stock) view of what could be done to the X. No offense is intended to the original styling of it in any way.
I'd love to see some visual examples of various duct designs applied to the X but I lack any skills with graphic software, Photoshop, etc. Anyone able to offer something to look at? Thanks

No help with the photoshop stuff, I'm neanderthal when it comes to that stuff.

However, comparing your two X1/9 concepts, I agree the second one is more bold, and I prefer the look. However, each one fits well into the accent lines on the car - the top one has narrow accent lines and a narrow intake. The bottom one has broad accent lines and the scoop is commensurately sized. Likewise with the original X1/9 - the scoop fits nicely within the accent lines.

So it's going to be very tricky IMO to upsize the scoop, but still have it look right with the X's narrow accent lines.

Pete

Pete, I was thinking maybe a scoop of similar general shape as the stock one but enlarged as follows:
The top and bottom mount just above and below (respectively) those body lines. This still follows the contour lines but to their outer edges rather than within them.
The front to back length extended to reach to the stock fender flare at the back.
The width extended further out-board with more of a "scoop" (maybe coming a little further forward).

These added dimensions could allow the body opening to be larger to pass more air, as the larger scoop should supply.

This might be something of a modified "Abarth" concept, but a much more 'stylized' and shaped to fit the stock body (without the added flares):
ebay-fiat-x19-abarth-prototipo-01.jpg

Perhaps not quite so far above/below the body lines, and taper in the back to meet the stock fender shape. Also more 'contoured' like on some of the examples above, so as not to look like the VW bus scoops Jeff showed. The opening in the front needs to be 'smoother'.

OK, I really SUCK at this, but hope it shows the general dimension I was thinking. However it needs a LOT of style improvement over this 'stick-figure':
546b477835a86_-_fiatx19-72921510.jpg

Although it does not look large, volume wise this would significantly increase the surface area on the body-inlet as well as the air-inlet opening of the scoop. And give more of a 'ram' effect when the car is moving. I guess wind tunnel analysis is needed to confirm that, but if nothing else I think it would greatly improve the look (if properly styled).

Last edited:
Maybe try to imagine this duct (circled) reshaped to the correct dimensions / contours, and added where my (poorly drawn) red lines are on the photo above:
4dc3fc26fda6d548d26b5b5afe5df05a.jpg

We really need someone with a little artistic skill here...certainly not me.

I wonder if you could take 2 scoops and cut the bottom off one one and the top off the other and make one that is taller. It wouldn't be any longer, of course. That would be an interesting photoshop experiment.

Pete

Perhaps a little bit of this styling incorporated into the scoop:
228890.jpg

Or this:
lamborghini-huracan-lp610-4-290-960x480.jpg

Too "modern" for the X? But could work with the overall 'wedge' shape of it.

I agree that the originals can look a bit wimpy. I have a spare set of side scoops and have thought about grafting pairs together, but I'm not sure how to go about it, so I haven't even tried it.

I agree with Dr. Jeff; something more exaggerated, but still fitting the body lines, could look nice, maybe giving a more modern look, particularly if the outer shell matched body color.

Jeff

thought about grafting pairs together, but I'm not sure how to go about it,
Maybe new ducts could be made on a 3-D printer? Or the old method of shaping them in foam, making a mold buck, and either use fiberglass or some type of plastic forming to produce the duct. Perhaps if you cut two stock ducts and glue them together that could act as a form to cast a mold buck off of? [This type of project is Ricardo's expertise.]

particularly if the outer shell matched body color.
Body color duct, I like that. It did not occur to me that was one of the features that make some of the examples above look better.

While I've always liked the classic or "vintage" styles of air ducts / vents (as in a few examples I included in my first post above), they are more fitting for a traditional body design...maybe more Fiat 124 Spider than X1/9. Those tend to have chrome accents and are flatter against the body. Often they were air-exhaust vents more than air-intake scoops. Initially I imagined one of the "vintage" styles on the X, but now I'm thinking with the wedge shape and more modern design of the X, plus the ducts being functional inlets, they need to be a modern style.

I have similar ideas about improving the design of the front and rear grills, the cabin exhaust vents on the roof pillars, and the engine cover. Guess that is the 'cliff hanger' until next season. Right now I have a few years worth of existing projects to complete without starting new ones. But I enjoy hearing everyone's ideas in the mean time, so keep posting your inputs. Thanks

Back