79 Instrument Panel in a 75?

Austin74

True Classic
I have a damaged instrument panel in my 75 and like the look of the 79, with maybe orange needles for an all-business look. From just looking at pictures it appears both panels have their gauges, warning lights, and mounting holes in the same locations. Is this a plug-n-play swap or am I missing something?

Can't say it will work off hand. I would have to look at the electrical wiring diagrams for each year. In all the years I have been on the board, I do not remember anyone doing this.
Bob Brown would be the best off of the top of the head person to get an answer from. Apart from that looking a wiring diagrams will be required.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I had an '81 or '82 instrument panel in my '76 back in the day (Bertone with reverse tach) and it all worked perfectly. I believe the plugs at the back are the same, tho some older catalytic models had "slow down" for an idiot light verses something else on newer ones. Should be easy - and that's a money back guarantee :)

Physically, it will fit. I'm not sure about the electrical connections. It sure could work, but is it just "plug and play"? I have doubt.

Also to consider is the speedo cable. There should at least be a difference when the speedometer starts moving counterclockwise (in 1980). Dig in catalogs to see if the speedo cable is the same for all years (1300 and 1979 1500).

The euro versions will swap out directy. Don' know about th us version. The late bertone 86-87 had a different speedo cable fitting and also a volt gauge instead of oil.

The electrics are all the same except 74-76, they had one extra spade terminal on the body side connector for the oil pressure gauge.

74-76 had the 130mph, thread on speedo cable and the clockwise tach.

IMG_20171115_084236730.jpg

77-78 changed the surround color and swapped the oil pressure gauge for the volt meter.

IMG_20171115_084301668.jpg

79-80 had 140mph and the counter clockwise tach and removed the "SLOW DOWN" idiot light.

IMG_20171115_084341436.jpg

81-83 had 80mph speedo, Changed the "FASTEN BELTS" to jut the normal symbol.

IMG_20171115_084447835.jpg

84-86 went back to 140mph, clip on speedo cable and had "BERTONE" above the turn signal light and added the "EX GAS SENSOR" idiot light.

IMG_20171115_085042495.jpg

87-89 changed the font on the gauges.

IMG_20171115_085320366.jpg

I apologize for the crappy pictures.

My '79 had the casualty (from being flooded...by water..not carbs) of the tach apparently being DOA. It had the reverse rotation (CCW) tach and I presume it was original. I replaced it with a "79" (ie, reported to be by PO) cluster that is aesthetically the same but the clock runs clockwise. I'm not sure I really care either way...I have a steering wheel that makes it so tach view is not obstructed, mileage (if I cared) is very close to what the dead unit showed, and it's not a show car anyway...but it was a point of curiosity for me.

I'm considering using the housing from my dead unit to make an alternative setup, perhaps with the classically inaccurate but pretty 124 gauges, possibly with something else...

Brayden, thanks so much for posting the photos. I saw a cluster advertised on CL a few weeks ago that was listed as a 79 and appeared as one, but had a conventional tach needle rotation. Do you know of this variety? I missed out on it and want to buy one, but other 79s seem to have the reverse rotation as you have shown.

The electrics are all the same except 74-76, they had one extra spade terminal on the body side connector for the oil pressure gauge.

74-76 had the 130mph, thread on speedo cable and the clockwise tach.

View attachment 6518

77-78 changed the surround color and swapped the oil pressure gauge for the volt meter.

View attachment 6519

79-80 had 140mph and the counter clockwise tach and removed the "SLOW DOWN" idiot light.

View attachment 6520

81-83 had 80mph speedo, Changed the "FASTEN BELTS" to jut the normal symbol.

View attachment 6521

84-86 went back to 140mph, clip on speedo cable and had "BERTONE" above the turn signal light and added the "EX GAS SENSOR" idiot light.

View attachment 6522

87-89 changed the font on the gauges.

View attachment 6523

I apologize for the crappy pictures.

Back