Well, it ain't no X 1/9 but one might fit in the trunk.

jvandyke

True Classic
My Dad (mistakenly?) bought this on ebay a few weeks ago. He sent it to me for "safe keeping".
It needs quite a bit of work really, runs like utter crap at the moment, barely limped into the shop. Easy to work on though and just a few more ponies then my old X
Now I get to brush up on my American V8 skills.......needs ignition and carb work but man does that 429 and Edlebrock 4blr sound nice.
galaxielefttopdown_zps5esn04hv.jpg

galaxieengine_zpspygqww9e.jpg

galaxieinteriorfromright_zpsgysefdvf.jpg

That steering wheel looks tiny. That is quite a car. Wow

Last edited:
Nice ride! I took my driving test when I was 16 in a borrowed 62 Galaxie 4 door hardtop. No 429, just a 292 automatic. I think the largest engine you could get in a Galaxie that year was the 405 hp 406 ci motor. Looks like this one must be far from stock.

Yes, the steering wheel is just one of many departures from stock. It has a 429 from '69 instead of the 351 (I think), and it's been warmed over to some extent. Also has a slew of street rod gauges; oil pressure, transmission temp, that sort of thing, I think a "reverse valve body" automatic, on the floor, no stock center console, it has the split bench from an XL but the car isn't an XL. It appears someone started but never really "finished" it off as it has really questionable things going on, PCV port on carb was open to air, distributor bare wire just twisted to coil, no brakes, only working stock gauge is the fuel gauge, no speedo, no temp, no lights on dash, stereo (no face plate) added under main dash, speakers hacked into the kick panels and oh mercy the wiring is horrific, the heater core appears to leak like a screen door on a submarine too, all over the passenger floor!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm learning old Ford lore now. 406 was the big one in '62, this one had a 351 according to the VIN, the numbers on the engine say it's a 429 from '69, the high compression version I guess. It should go like stink (if I get it dialed in) but don't ask it to turn or stop (especially since at the moment it has NO brakes!!)

The 351 was not available in 62. However, the 352 was. I seem to recall the 390s were available as well.

yep, that sounds right, VIN said 352 then, I thought that sounded wrong,
having fun already, distributor was stuck (I guess that's a "thing" for those Ford motors), got it loose enough to time but can't seem to nail it down, it's worse then ever, you should hear that puppy backfire, the neighbors came outside (so did the wife, and none to pleased I might add, I still can't hear!)

dang I have to teach myself about "reverse manual valve bodies" now, the auto transmission pattern is completely foreign to this "real cars have clutch pedals" guy
park is most rearward, up one is reverse neutral then 32, is that a "dragster" thing? Lord have mercy where is this going, a straight line dragster? Could I have devolved that quickly? Nuccio forgive me......
N
R
P

man does that 429 and Edlebrock 4blr sound nice.
Nothing against Fords per-say, Just always seemed to gravitate to Chevy's in the american car category. Renault then Fiat in the European market. I did have one Ford that my son and I fixed up when he was 16. It was a 63 Ford 300 2dr. It was a nice car and he drove it during his college years and his friends loved it because of the room and smooth ride. It wasn't a racer but was impressive for a big car. Had a stock 289 with dual exhaust and glass packs. I have always thought Fords with a good exhaust setup was one of the best sounding cars.

Well, there's a lot of things I would choose before this to be honest but I'm not kicking it out of the shop for eating crackers so to speak. There's a Stratos on BaT at the moment.....just say'n.

Back