Front air dam / spoiler

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Some time ago Midwest-Bayless offered this air dam for the X:

X19-front dam Midwest-Bayless.jpg

Does anyone have information about it? Any photos of one installed? Know who made it (if not the guys at Midwest-Bayless themselves)? Have one available? Thanks

Mike, any chance you have a photo of it held up to the car, or do you recall where it was intended to mount? Just looking at the pictures in the original ads, I can't really tell where it mounts; directly under the bumper, down at the factory 'spoiler' below the apron, midway along the apron? Also, what did you not like about it? Thanks.

Sorry, no pics. The reason I sent it back was because I was unhappy with the quality of the construction. That was many years ago and probably has no relation to the products that are currently available. The spoiler was suppose to lay over the stock spoiler as the ad above describes.

The spoiler was suppose to lay over the stock spoiler as the ad above describes.
So I'm guessing it would have looked something like this:

dp7_.jpg

However I believe the one in this photo is the old "Flex-dam" with the soft rubber lip (remember those?).

Looks like a spoiler from some other car that was fitted to the stock spoiler.

I may know of what you speak as far as getting what you're looking for. 8 or 9 years ago I came across an X at a dismantlers with a spoiler/airdam that looked absolutely correct. It fit to the front without modification, and had a recess on each side that could be made to fit airflow pipe to cool the front brakes. It had a few rough spots but I found a mold maker in town who could patch it up well enough to make a mold. So I did. For a couple hundred dollars he did a very nice job. My only real forums then were Mirafiori and the X-web. I fiddled with the mold, blew the 1st one, got a decent one 2nd time. Then I got a heads up from one of our current members about a thread going on with an East Coast/mid West Fiat group. I logged on and found a number of people wanting the airdam design I had, but were going to buy one then have a mold made from mine, but in a more durable plastic injection unit. We bitched back n forth for a time until I got tired of the hassle. Put the mold, one finished spoiler and a second one laid up in the mold for protection, and sold the whole mess on Ebay to a guy in Canada. I saw the spoiler in an old Bayless catalog a while later and it was identical. There was also a matching unit for the 124 Spider. It was a very well thought out piece. That may answer your questions. Perhaps not....

Thanks MM, that's too bad it did not go well for you after all the effort you put into it. Was yours the same one I showed in my first post at the top of this page? That picture came from the Midwest-Bayless website several years ago (the same one Greg showed from a old printed catalog), but is no longer listed.

I will admit the idea of molding it in some kind of plastic instead of fiberglass would be good. Especially a plastic with some flex or give, like one of the urethane formulas. Front air dams like these are easily damaged if they are rigid. I've gone through many fiberglass ones on various vehicles over the years, it doesn't take much to break one. Do you happen to have any pics of what you made?

I came across another image with a similar air dam. I don't think its the same one as above. This one matches the widened fenders. But it has the same design concept:
Filipinetti, modified.jpg

I'm not necessarily looking for one of these exact units, but I am interested in a air dam of some type. Reference the thread I created awhile back with lots of discussion on the design and re-styling of the X's nose:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-air-dam-spoilers.33143/

Nope. Mine was more of a standard spoiler, not a dam. I have to say, it was a great looking unit and blended into, or under, the stock flairs. Wish I could find a pic. I ran my Ebay sales lastnight and I think I found the buyer. I sent him a message but haven't heard back. He was listed as active still. We'll see. You might check with Jeff Stich and see if he has anything on it.

Ya, I haven't found an existing design of spoiler / air dam that I like. I might end up having to make my own also. But would love to avoid having to do that. I'm not fond of fiberglass work and as I stated it isn't ideal for a front spoiler. So I would build one with sheet metal...lots of work. Thanks for following up on this, I'd be interested to see how you designed it.

Back