Dallara Build

Maxmod

Lachlan (aus)
I Think it's time to start a build thread on this car

It's been 14 years in the making but I'm finally making some good headway in getting it running.

It's been in primer and bog for 14 years and now I've finally painted it.

The plan is basically to build a modern X19 with a dallara bodykit
It will have a 200bhp Uno turbo out of my other car which i'll be building another motor for.
Motec M84 ECU
Full custom Rewire
Electric Windows
Vintage Air A/C, Heat and defrost I'm ditching the factory heater controls I can't stand them.

I've flushed the engine bay as I don't require the access panel for the Dizzy it will run a Hall sensor off a Punto GT which you don't need to change.

This should be a nice road car that I can pretty much drive every day.

Hopefully over the coming months I can transform it into a running driving vehicle.

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_3626.jpg
IMG_3396.jpg
IMG_3462.jpg
IMG_3466.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg

The Vintage A/C unit looks pretty good in there, will there be enough room for the stock center console and switchgear?

Do you anticipate using the existing HVAC grilles (defroster outlet, end-of-the dash outlets) plus maybe footwell outlets?

Yeah there’s enough room for the centre console and switch gear. Here’s one with it behind the centre console.

I’ll use all the existing outlets other than the footwell one which is a part of the factory unit.

The vintage air system has a footwell one as well unfortunately it cant feed both footwells in this orientation it would only feed your drivers side.

I could of fitted it under the dash if I had of removed the battery tray and relocated it. Which I potentially may end up doing. I’ll see once I get the proper unit where all the lines are this is a dummy up unit.

Attachments

• 0B8F779F-1B81-415D-BFCD-1029142369FC.jpeg
    0B8F779F-1B81-415D-BFCD-1029142369FC.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 191
I've been waiting for someone to install a aftermarket AC-Heat system like this. I know Papa Tony will like it too. :)
Your build is looking great.

Looking good Maxmod.

Until I got to the picture of the door, I thought maybe you were building the first ever X1/9 Jolly Dallara! :)

Your car looks great - love the color. Please keep us up to date on the progress on the Vintage Air system.

Really nice! Loving the blue - looks the same as Volvo PoleStar and (some Fords) blue :D

What unit did you get from Vintage Air? I am looking at those & couldn't figure out from the website (since they don't list dimensions) which model line would be most appropriate.

Are you using their controls also? Do you have a pic? Can't stand the (useless) factory controls either. Not clear from the website what controls come with the 'kits' or if they (controls) are all sold individually?

Last edited:
Thanks guys

It’s the mini compac system the vintage air website is pathetic cooldrive are the Australian distributor their catalogue actually has dimensions.

In terms of the controls I will be using theirs but I haven’t got there yet. Unfortunately those I can’t find any dimensions for so I guess I’ll have to email vintage air and let them know their website sucks at the same time. It seems like a pretty basic requirement to have measurements on a universal fitment part.

The controls are all sold separately

I’ll email them also. It’s ridiculous to sell universal fit parts and NOT give specs on them! Glad it’s not just me getting frustrated with them :D

Yeah it doesn't seem particularly well thought out I went to Cool drive and they had a vintage air catalogue that was good with dimensions and all the available parts. I don't recall even it having dimensions for the control panels though. I asked if they had one of those I could have they said they are basically impossible to come by and even the distributor had to share 1 among many. Seems like they are trying fairly hard to not sell the units.

Odd, I see them every year at the SEMA show and they hand out catalogs like Halloween candy. I'll look for mine to see if it has dimensions in it. For what its worth, the people there are really down to earth, nice guys. But it is kind of a small family type company that has grown over the years, so maybe they are still doing things old school. Let you know if I find any info.

Love to hear you will/can drive it daily. It is hard to make that claim sometimes with our beloved little Xs, especially with engine swaps and heavy mods like yours. Looks great BTW - Color choice is great. And I dig the wheels :)

O.K. I found the current Vintage Air catalog as promised. Tell me which items you need info for and I'll check to see if it offers any.

Edit: Glancing through it there is tons of measurements and data in the catalog. I'd say your local dealer is just too lazy to help.

Last edited:
Haha I wouldn't say I will drive it everyday but the intention is to make it useable enough that I could. Lol it still hasn't got the Mod cons I like my Mercedes C250 wagon basically drives itself with it's adaptive cruise and steering assist.

Really all it comes down to is the ECU and tune that's really what makes it useable as a Daily well and the Aircon. My Race car I can turn the key and it will cold start with E85 no issues it will happily idle. We've got another car that has an Autronic ECU on the factory injection system it's the same just turn the key it will start it even did after 6months of sitting idle we just charged the battery it managed about half a crank before coming to life.

Awesome Jeff,

What I need is dimensions on all their control panels not to mention to know what their control panels look like even that isn't easy to find on their site.

O.K. I found the current Vintage Air catalog as promised. Tell me which items you need info for and I'll check to see if it offers any.

Edit: Glancing through it there is tons of measurements and data in the catalog. I'd say your local dealer is just too lazy to help.

Can you post pics of the Gen II Compac, Mini and the ShortPac with the dimensions? Heat/cool/defrost models. That would be most helpful.

Hum, what you guys seek is several pages of the catalog. Too much data to type out, so let me see if I can figure how to scan it and post here. Realize I am not a wiz at doing that. I'll get back to you. But if you are not in a rush for the info, I'd suggest you contact them for a copy of the catalog. It has lots of good tech info plus a bunch of parts and pieces that will assist you in making your systems. It's actually a good catalog (unlike many I see).

I just looked at the link you posted for Vintage Air. I noticed on their home page in the top right corner you can download the complete catalog. Try that and see if it offers the specifics you are looking for. Let me know if not and I will see if I have anything more (I have some older info from them that might have other content).

You boys might want to make this a separate topic, probably a bunch of guys would be interested in this topic but only see a Dallara heading and haven't looked.

Back