Fiat 500 Abarth Engine Harvesting

TonyK

True Classic
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG
Some complain about working on the X1/9, it is too tight, can't get at anything.

Take a few moments to look at the pictures and video here of the Fiat 500 Abarth Engine. There is a lot of hardware in the front of that car that is just as difficult if not worst to work on than an X1/9 engine bay.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Tony,

It would be interesting if you could post what the weight of the finished Abarth X1/9 is compared that that of the published weight weight for the original Bertone X1/9 car; which I think is 2,210 lbs. It would also be interesting what the finished final weight of the car is for the Midwest Bayless K20 X1/9 swap is.

More HP is not always better if you end up with a super heavy and sluggish car.

Perhaps, the smaller 1.4 liter Abarth X1/9 is the way to go v. a K20 when taking the weight into account.

Specs from Fiat website: 160-HP 1.4L MULTIAIR° TURBO ENGINE Every piece of the FIAT° 500 Abarth drives desire. The 1.4L MultiAir° Turbo four-cylinder engine aided by twin intercoolers produces up to 160 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque for adrenaline-pumping performance.

I took the completed car to the truck weight scales when completed, full fueled AC installed on this car was 2195LBS. A bit more weight in the X engine compartment in my view isn't a bad thing, it will keep the tires planted to the pavement.

Currently I have a stage 2 tune from Open Flash tablet on the engine ECU which produces 177HP. The car is not sluggish.

TonyK>

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
How can a 1.4 liter Abarth X1/9 weight the same as a K20 X1/9? Is the K20 block aluminum v. cast iron for the 1.4 Abarth?

How can a 1.4 liter Abarth X1/9 weight the same as a K20 X1/9? Is the K20 block aluminum v. cast iron for the 1.4 Abarth?

Looks like the Abarth X1/9 is 195 LBS heavier. Not sure why, but the K20 did not state if it had full fuel or not, which could explain some of the weight.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada

So what is the current state of the swap now Tony? Is this now at a place where you would recommend it as a viable swap for the stock engine or is it still being sorted out? It seems like you have taken the bull by the horns and trail blazed with this one with all of the unknowns that's for sure. Kudos to you and your persistence!

So what is the current state of the swap now Tony? Is this now at a place where you would recommend it as a viable swap for the stock engine or is it still being sorted out? It seems like you have taken the bull by the horns and trail blazed with this one with all of the unknowns that's for sure. Kudos to you and your persistence!

Currently my car is running fine and all issues have been resolved. I am working on Bob Martin's swap which is a little different. The engine must go into the test body to work out some issues. Bob wants to use the stock air to air intercoolers, they will be placed in the engine bay with fan forced cooling from the side scoops. A different approach to the wire harness will also be done. As swaps go, they are time consuming and costly. Video's and pictures will follow as I progress.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada

Last edited:
Thanks Tony... good to hear that you have all the issues tackled. I look forward to the future updates :)

Looks like the Abarth X1/9 is 195 LBS heavier. Not sure why, but the K20 did not state if it had full fuel or not, which could explain some of the weight.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada

My K20 X is a bit heavier that Roobus's. It's an 87, with power windows and AC. Not sure of the fuel level at the time of the weighing, but it came in at 2140. If you are at 2195, you are definitely in the same ballpark.

Pete

My K20 X is a bit heavier that Roobus's. It's an 87, with power windows and AC. Not sure of the fuel level at the time of the weighing, but it came in at 2140. If you are at 2195, you are definitely in the same ballpark.

Pete
My 87 has AC and power windows as well. I don't have a spare tire due to the needed space of that tire well. I did purchase a space saver that comes from the Fiat 500's that I throw in the front trunk or back of the truck when I attend events.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada

MWB K20 swap is awesome. But it would be nice if they also offered a Honda Fit 1.5l swap too. It would be a good compromise for X owners who simply want a new engine and tranny without all the metal cutting and engine encroachment in the spare tire space. I think MWB may sell more Fit swap kits then K20.

Back