Scorpion # 253 project

Very interesting. Makes me wonder (worry?) about what is lurking underneath my pristine looking floorpan undercoating.

this was believed to be a rust free car when i purchased it. Granted rust free and scorpion are oxymorons... but i still believe for what its worth this is a very rust free car. I actually have a scorpion who's floorpans and everything else is pristine. Thats another project...lol

Glad I have taken the time and tedious work to take this car far deeper than I ever thought I was going to. The end result will be far better.

My goal is to now have the car ready for FFO18 in Orlando

Parts scorpion #302 has made it home. Thats 5 scorpions now, 3 parts cars and 2 restorable cars

IMG_4966.JPG
IMG_4965.JPG

You are a little bit selfish, Scorpions should be spread around a bit more!

Congrats.

You are a little bit selfish, Scorpions should be spread around a bit more!

Congrats.
those are just for spares. i have the kids at school strip them down as an assignment. They have fun and learn at the same time. I figured it would be better to part these out than see them go to the crusher. Not much saveable, but the parts i can save i will. Really dont need any parts from old cars, only new parts now unfortunately! Hopefully soon I can get the car chassis painted and completed. I just keep finding more and more to do and there is no reason to do a poor job at this point. My goal remains the same, to be driving by the fiat freak out.

Totally the right thing to do, cars beyond redemption should be stripped to their minimum of useful bits for the survival of the remaining members of the tribe.

Though, up here that might be considered a restoration candidate...

Worked on the car again today. decided to build the drivers floor pan replacement panel. Measured and then fabbed the replacement part. Cut out the old part. Then welded in the new piece. The metal was very thing is some areas of what i kept so I am having to make a few smaller pieces to fill some additional holes. When I am done It will not be noticeable that it has been replaced to the untrained eye. There will be a few discrepancies, like the beaded area will not be dimentionally correct. But who cares, it will be just fine
IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

this is not done, have a ways to go. I will take pictures when it is finished. I am not going t use any filler. Will be all steel.

Last edited:
After wire wheeling the floor pan I discovered a few very small holes. I probably created them by using the wire wheel. But that is fine. I would rather address them now. After trying unsuccessfully to weld them, the metal is way too thin and I just keep chasing a hole. So I have 2 options. replace a very large section which really is fine or use some lab-metal / all metal aluminum putty to fill the holes. most likely por15 will fill them anyway but to be safe i will use the all-metal first before i por15 the entire floor pan

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG
a little off topic. I picked up a free 81 zagato today... complete but rusty...This will give me the needed parts to finish my zagato project, that project # 3427 lol

Last edited:
Beek, I'm buying a set of Zagato headlamps for my Scorpion. Can you tell me a little more about what you did to get them mounted? I'm assuming I'll need to source a Montecarlo-style middle noseband section from Monte Hospital to get it to look right. Also thinking about not mounting the exterior Zagato light trim piece to give them more of the "floating" look that they have on the 037. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and keep up the great progress on your project.

i will take some pictures of what i made to mount them. was all hardware store aluminum bar and a few rivnuts. too bad the car i just got is missing the headlights, I would have given them to you. and yes the fiberglass nose band from montehospital is what i have. Is not a perfect fit and will take a little work, but still a nice piece.

Great progress! About to reinstall the pistons/rods in my block and send the head off to be rebuilt with new seats, seals, guides, Abarth valves, springs...

Those are exciting images, you must be pleased! I'm hoping you'll share which goals you settled on for the motor and their supporting specs.

My goal for my '77 is 150 streetable HP from a 2.0. So far, I've got dual 40 DCNFs & Alquati manifold and Alquati 40-80 cams. My next purchase will be pistons to raise the CR, but from there, I'm seeking a best dollar per HP recipe to meet my goal. I suspect others would be similarly interested, thanks in advance for any such info, and for posting what you're up to.

Back