Scorpion # 253 project

My goal is 160hp from a 2.0
i am using 42dcnf's, I am using a mix of camshafts 10.60 lift 42/82 on exhaust, from a efi lancia grind with camshaft end drive distributor, the intake is a more radical full race grind 48 / 67 11.35 lift should set lobe centers around 102, If you look at the exposed valve guide you can see how far I have moved the port roof. Better angles. at this point "10.8-1" pistons. Custom exhaust system. I will post as things happen. Oil control will be a major issue for me. I want to get free horsepower through oil control. As I actually assemble the engine I will post detailed specifications and pictures. Should be real soon

IMG_5130.JPG

Dry sump pump mounted. I looked at many configurations, This seemed best. I used a mitsubishi tensioner for the belt. I am having a custom crank pulley made. Now to tackle the alternator drive. I am also using a 120A mitsubishi alternator. Mainly because I already have it.

worked today on the alternator mounting. Cracked the front alternator case, So I will have to powdercoat another one..Oh well. I also made the phenolic spacer for the intake, below the carbs, to help redirect any heat.
IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5150.JPG
IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

worked more in the intake today. Finished phenolic plate. added 2 heat shields, to further protect the carbs from unwanted heat. I am going to install gold foil to the back side of the aluminum shields too. Also started working on the motor mounts and powdercoated a few other things. Built the carbs. I am ordering bigger "35mm chokes" have 32mm now. Also installed 2 grosse jets that i have had for years into the carbs. A much better way to control as opposed to needle and seat.

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

all back apart!. The engine block is at the machine shop being bored. I am supposed to get it back by next friday. So when spring break is over i can trial assemble the block before balancing. I still have to decide on the front crank pulley and belt locations. Most likely I am having to get one made. Also I spoke with someone today about building a custom stainless header. I hope it will be within my budget.

glyptal, darn I could not find my quart. I have used it in the past usually on a un polished block , I have used it on my v8 race engines too.. But no, not here, except for the alternator winding's, The purpose it was actually made for

more progress made yesterday.
IMG_5281.JPG

pressed the water pump flange to the same spec as the fiat pump. This way I can use the fiat crank pulley
IMG_5280.JPG

Made a crankshaft pointer.
IMG_5284.JPG

New valve spring and titanium retainers.
IMG_5285.JPG

original retainer 20 grams
IMG_5286.JPG

Titanium retainer 11 grams, savings of 9 grams

IMG_5302.JPG

Stock intake valve 90 grams

IMG_5298.JPG

Swirl polished stainless valve 83 grams , savings of 7 grams, total 16 grams at the intake valve saved.
6 grams saved at the exhaust valve, for a total of 15. Now come the shims
a 3,25 shim weighs 22 grams, a 4.65 weighs 31. there is a 9 gram difference there. I will mill the cam boxes down to keep my shims under 3.00
IMG_5297.JPG

3 angle valve job on the seats, I then hand lapped in all the valves and assembled.
IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG

have now began to get the cams and housings ready.
IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5307.JPG

next week the dry sump drive will be here, the rings should be here by end of the week. I ordered special low tension and gapless rings from Total seal. I will mock up the bottom end and degree the cams in. Assemble to make sure the clearances are correct. Then i will send the rotating assembly out for balancing
IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG
IMG_5296.JPG

3.602 lbs saved at the crank pulley, 12 pounds saved at the flywheel. I dont have my pressure plate yet but i will bet it is 3 pounds lighter than stock

more progress made yesterday. View attachment 9737
pressed the water pump flange to the same spec as the fiat pump. This way I can use the fiat crank pulley
View attachment 9738
Made a crankshaft pointer.
View attachment 9739
New valve spring and titanium retainers.
View attachment 9742

original retainer 20 gramsView attachment 9743

Titanium retainer 11 grams, savings of 9 grams

View attachment 9744

Stock intake valve 90 grams

View attachment 9745

Swirl polished stainless valve 83 grams , savings of 7 grams, total 16 grams at the intake valve saved.
6 grams saved at the exhaust valve, for a total of 15. Now come the shims
a 3,25 shim weighs 22 grams, a 4.65 weighs 31. there is a 9 gram difference there. I will mill the cam boxes down to keep my shims under 3.00
View attachment 9746
3 angle valve job on the seats, I then hand lapped in all the valves and assembled.
View attachment 9747 View attachment 9748

There is much to be gained by lightening the valve train. :)

Back