WTB: engine/trunk release levers

Joshua Field

Daily Driver
Looking for a reasonably priced engine/trunk release lever (and cables), thanks!

s-l300.jpg

I managed to find the sad little broken pieces of my trunk latch stowed in the front trunk. Seems the PO must have had a temper... :/

I managed to find the sad little broken pieces of my trunk latch stowed in the front trunk. Seems the PO must have had a temper... :/

Or a mishap with a latch getting stuck in the door with bad results. If you aren't paying attention, you can shut the door with one of the latches still sticking out after usage. They should retract, but don't always, so look before you shut the door.

Cables could be replaced by bicycle cables. Levers are not too hard to find, it's the black receptacle WITH the lock that is harder to come by... or will be expensive.

I definitely need the whole unit - levers in receptacle, cables (only thing I do have is the old cylinder which I may try to figure out how to swap in order to retain the matching key). Still waiting to hear back from Jeff Stich (above in thread) and also have a lead on a possible breaker but I'm interested in whatever is out there now that I got both hood and lid open and can work on them

Still waiting to hear back from Jeff Stich (above in thread)...

Sorry for the delay, I got distracted by a junkyard '79 X1/9 & a non-Fiat car (Honda) at another junkyard nearby. Gathering parts for my friends X1/9 & my Honda in-between all of my normal daily crap!

The X1/9 latch-levers assembly that I have still has the trunk lid cable & housing attached, but no engine lid latch cable. I was hoping to score either the complete levers/cables assembly from that junkyard X, or at least the other cable that mine's missing, so you'd have a complete unit for your car. Unfortunately, the junkyard car had an exploded (broken) lever base unit like yours (lever got stuck in the "open" position & someone slammed the door on it), & both cable ends (@ the latches) were cut, rendering them useless. :(

I took pics of the latch assembly I have yesterday, but now I've misplaced the USB flash drive the photos were on. ARGH. I'll find it tonight...

The X1/9 latch-levers assembly that I have still has the trunk lid cable & housing attached, but no engine lid latch cable. I was hoping to score either the complete levers/cables assembly from that junkyard X, or at least the other cable that mine's missing, so you'd have a complete unit for your car. Unfortunately, the junkyard car had an exploded (broken) lever base unit like yours (lever got stuck in the "open" position & someone slammed the door on it), & both cable ends (@ the latches) were cut, rendering them useless. :(

Hmmm...rethinking this over; I'll see if I can grab the engine lid latch cable housing & the emergency trunk lid latch cable+housing for you from the junkyard X1/9. That way, all you'd need to do is buy a replacement cable for the engine lid & you'd be set (cheapest/easiest new replacement cable would be a bicycle brake or derailleur cable).

I took pics of the latch assembly I have yesterday, but now I've misplaced the USB flash drive the photos were on. ARGH. I'll find it tonight...

Found it, here's a photo:

x19latchleverassembly.jpg

The black plastic housing needs cleaning & maybe a quick coat of black paint (if preferred), the levers need a light cleanup with some steel wool. I'm leaving that work to you, which keeps the price down. ;)

How does $40 + shipping sound?

I definitely need the whole unit - levers in receptacle, cables (only thing I do have is the old cylinder which I may try to figure out how to swap in order to retain the matching key).

Yes, you can swap your keyed cylinder in fairly easily. It's just held in place by a metal E-clip on the backside of the plastic housing.

Kudos Mr. Stich, well done. That's how we should be helping one another, with a complete package at a very fair price, that gets him what he needs for his X. Thank you on behalf of everyone.

It finally stopped raining on my days off, so I got the engine lid cable housing & the rear trunk lid emergency cable set-up from the junkyard X1/9 yesterday. :)

Parts are all packed & ready to go, see your PM (Conversations) for payment info.

Thanks again Jeff! Parts arrived and look great. Weirdly, my key doesn't fit the tumbler that I found in the car with the destroyed lever assembly so I found the codes for both tumblers and am having keys made by keys4classics. I guess they'll be coming from down under, so I'll wait to install the assembly until I get a working key. [I'm yanking and refurbing the carburetor this week so I'm obviously not in a rush :)]

Back