Factory power antenna switch wanted

Finally back to the computer...
Andy's switch in the trunk to lower the fully automatic antenna when opening the trunk is a cool idea. It wouldn't work on our semi-automatic unit, but is a neat idea!
I believe the window switch idea would work well and the shown modifications are very creative. We may go that route if the switch in Italy doesn't work out.
We chose the semi-automatic over the fully automatic partially because I had one in my 81 so many years ago, and because I mostly listen to my own music rather than the standard broadcasting and didn't want the antenna to keep going up & down whenever we turned it on & off.
Dr. Jeff, I wondered about that switch as well. I thought it might be a HIGH, LOW, & OFF for the instrument lights, but need to look at the wiring diagrams to verify that. Not sure why you would need that if you have the rheostat right there.??? An interesting thing about the antenna switch in the electrical troubleshooting manual (from MWB) is that it indicates that the ground for the circuit is a "case ground", meaning that the switch case is grounded rather than using a wire ground. How is that done when the switch bodies and the console where the switch is mounted are all plastic? Still some questions and still waiting on the dimensions from the guy in Italy. (I haven't seen a Strada in any of our junk yards, so I can't go look at the switches in the cars there.) Mike Franze is also checking his stock of parts for a switch, so we are in a holding pattern. It is not really holding us up. We are trying to get the body ready for paint anyway.
We were all set to just put our own rocker switch & wiring in (which would have been easier) when I stumbled on the wiring & connector under the console and went off on this tangent, but it seems that we never do anything the easy way. I guess that it is part of the adventure!
Everybody's input IS appreciated. It's neat to see what ideas others have come up with. THANKS!

By the way, you have verified that the wiring and connector under the console is in fact for the antenna? As in put a test meter between it and the connections at the trunk-end of the antenna circuit, or connect the antenna that you have to see if those wires activate it the way you want? I only say that because, a) the Fiat manuals and diagrams are not always correct or clear, b) my '79 has a couple extra connectors and wiring behind the console that are not related to the antenna, and c) I'd really hate to see you go through all this only to discover things are not as they appear to be. Not doubting you abilities here at all, just thinking back on some of my own experiences with these cars. ;)

No offense taken....I hadn't checked for continuity before, just checked the wire colors. Just checked them (the wires in the trunk from the antenna to the connector)with a meter & they check out like the diagram indicates. I haven't checked the wires that go to the power source yet. My perception of the wiring diagrams is close to yours. We have a Haynes manual, Fiat North America service manual (with limited electrical info), Fiat North America wiring diagrams for 79-82 (the ones we posted a few months ago), and the Bayless electrical diagnostic manual (79-82) and they do not all agree. I have also noticed that some of the wire colors on the diagram are not correct. I suspect the some things were changed mid-year and show up on a later diagram. Between all of these resources, we have managed fairly well. There are some things that I haven't figured out yet, and some of them I'm not concerned about. When we go to hooking up the fuel injection into the system (which was carbureted, I'm sure it will get interesting. We are also deleting the carb fan circuit & not installing the fuel rail fan. I also just checked with a friend this morning and he couldn't find a junk yard anywhere near us with a Strada to go look at.
If the wires hadn't been in the car, it would have been OK as we were planning on having to add all of it anyway.

I have also noticed that some of the wire colors on the diagram are not correct.
Also it seems some wire colors are used for more than one purpose. Which is why the thought came to mind, if the antenna switch is so rare then why did they have a connector for it? Glad you verified it before getting too deep into something that might not have worked (I've done it).

Makes you wonder......the antenna wires also went to the left side of the trunk, which seems to be where they put the antennas on the 79s, as opposed to the right side on the later ones (81 & later). Also, why put the connector there if it is designed to fit a Fiat switch that the dealers would likely not stock. HMMMM?

I assume that Fiat moved the antenna to the right side when they changed to FI. The blower for the fuel rail cooling fan lives in the left rear fender well so there is no room for the antenna. The jack and it's associated mounting brackets are in the right side, so no room for the blower over there, but enough for the antenna.

I have seen antenna switches from some European ebay vendors for the Ritmo; https://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-RITMO-ABARTH-INTERRUTTORE-ANTENNA-ANTENNA-SWITCH/400597770522 but I don't know if they fit exactly.

We ordered the switch last night. Mike sent us some photos of switches he has for X1/9 & Strada and they appear to be the same size & configuration. We'll see when it gets here. If it doesn't work, we're only out about $20.00. If it does, then some others of you who wish to use semi-automatic antennas will have a source for a switch.

Hope the new switch works! Slightly off topic but for enjoying the radio with automatic antenna, large capacity for your own music, and a look which is semi period correct I used a modern Alpine unit which supports a tuner and usb media for mp3s plus aux media input . It's a single DIN and has shallow depth so easily fits in the small space. The faceplate is somewhat more modern vs a 1980s radio but does not stand out IMO.

Rip all your favorite CDs onto an 8gb USB nub and keep inserted into the unit.

You get all your music, modern technology, support for auto power antenna etc. It even has a headlight input to dim the display lights when the headlights are on. Pretty sure I paid less than 80 bucks for it.

20180519_085030.jpg

Nice unit! Thank you for the input. If something happens to ours, it's nice to have options. Never heard anything but good about Alpine, either. I have rented cars with the "AUX" input and really liked them. As far as "period correct", We are not purists. We are using an old Panasonic unit that my wife got me for Christmas 20+ years ago that I'm attached to. We even found a NOS CD changer on Ebay a couple of years ago to go with it.
As far as the music goes, my daughter downloaded music for me for Fathers Day & birthdays for several years, so I just burn my own CDs on the computer with the mixes that I like. Agreed, it isn't as compact & convenient as the newer units, but we are at a point in life where we don't buy much new stuff & don't get rid of much either (as evidenced by how old our cars are and by how long we have had them).
Off the subject, I like your gauges, clock, & the "luminous" bars on your heater controls. (read about them on another post)

My X has an early 90s Pioneer unit with a 12 disc changer in the frunk. However, for about $10, I was able to get a cable that plugs in where the changer normally goes and a Bluetooth receiver. Now I can just play stuff off my phone or tablet. I plan to build an adapter so I can keep the changer and Bluetooth connected at the same time since pushing a button to play a CD is a bit more of a mindless exercise than opening a playlist on a phone.

The only tablets we have around here are the ones I use to sketch parts I'm trying to design and I don't have any blue teeth.....our dentist only uses white stuff for fillings & gold for crowns. I have never seen him work in blue.

The only tablets we have around here are the ones I use to sketch parts I'm trying to design and I don't have any blue teeth.....our dentist only uses white stuff for fillings & gold for crowns. I have never seen him work in blue.
Until recently, the only tablets I had were in the medicine cabinet, and the last time I drove the car I didn't own a cell phone.

I used a modern Alpine unit which supports a tuner and usb media for mp3s plus aux media input
I've noticed similar units from all of the car stereo manufacturers, and have a couple from Sony and Kenwood in my other cars. Although they have BlueTooth and I have music saved on my cell phone, I prefer to store a couple thousand favorite songs on a micro USB drive and just leave it in the stereo (still not a huge cell phone user). However these stereos certainly aren't "period looking", which normally isn't an issue for me.

But for one of my custom builds I did want to try and keep things more 'period correct'. So I looked into options for modern music players that look old school. I did not care for the ones that are supposed to do that (RetroSound, Custom AutoSound, etc). I toyed with the idea of taking an old stereo and ripping out its guts, to install the innards from the new player. But after fooling around with it awhile I decided it was not practical (with my skills anyway). Then I looked at the idea of using a completely remote unit with the main box out of sight. But the ones that could fit the space and had the features I wanted were either really poor quality (ended up sending 2 or 3 of them back because they simply did not work), or had really bad function layout (not user friendly at all). So I still have not decided on a better solution and continue to use one of the units mentioned above (similar to Geekdaddy's).

But you do keep your data on a Palm, right?
maths-formulas-written-on-the-palm-of-a-hand-in-purple-ink-EM8C8B.jpg

Yeah, last time I drove an X I didn't even have a computer.
When
I've noticed similar units from all of the car stereo manufacturers, and have a couple from Sony and Kenwood in my other cars. Although they have BlueTooth and I have music saved on my cell phone, I prefer to store a couple thousand favorite songs on a micro USB drive and just leave it in the stereo (still not a huge cell phone user). However these stereos certainly aren't "period looking", which normally isn't an issue for me.

But for one of my custom builds I did want to try and keep things more 'period correct'. So I looked into options for modern music players that look old school. I did not care for the ones that are supposed to do that (RetroSound, Custom AutoSound, etc). I toyed with the idea of taking an old stereo and ripping out its guts, to install the innards from the new player. But after fooling around with it awhile I decided it was not practical (with my skills anyway). Then I looked at the idea of using a completely remote unit with the main box out of sight. But the ones that could fit the space and had the features I wanted were either really poor quality (ended up sending 2 or 3 of them back because they simply did not work), or had really bad function layout (not user friendly at all). So I still have not decided on a better solution and continue to use one of the units mentioned above (similar to Geekdaddy's).
If I decide to go retro, I've still got the Boman Astrosonics AM/FM/Cassette unit I installed in 1974 down in the basement.

Back