Cold air intake

Mike Schofield

True Classic
I love the sound of a cold air intake!
I’d like to get one for my 82 x.
I’ve only seen one offered by vikauto.
Anyone have pictures of theirs or experience with this one?

Several have used a variety of different cone filters.

Frankly none of them are going to be cold as they all draw more air from the rest of the ambient air in the engine compartment than the standard intake does with its opening near the side scoop.

The cones sound good, generally don’t filter as well and are not going to change the intake air temperature unless you go the full Hussein and make a seperate intake scoop and then segregate the cone from the rest of the engine compartment.

That or install an Abarth snorkel.

Love me some Abarth snorkel...

8572D562-A533-496F-9551-B90A9A31EBFE.jpeg

Yes, agreed. The “cold” air intakes definitely won’t draw in cold air unless they’re boxed in. The previous owner of my x had installed a k&n cone filter as a stock replacement. I will say that it does change the sound ever so slightly but not like the true open filter type.
I do like the snorkel look.....perhaps a little over the top unless you’re going to go all out with the fender flares etc...too bad there wasn’t anything available for the x’s Similar to the sleek mr2 scoops.
0E292054-2B0D-4C63-877C-911B674C0429.jpeg

Mind you, might not be too much to modify one of these scoops to the lid of an x1/9’s....
Now you’ve got me thinking...

Hussein built one onto his engine lid, he is going the whole hog with his however. His scoop is a subtle bit on a less than subtle car...

There are some kits available for a "real" cold air intake. Here's an example: http://www.bitsofitaly.com/cold-air-box-intake-

Fiat X19 Twin 40DCNF Webers

Cold Air Box Intake

"New molded"

Fiat X19 1300 or 1500 Cold Air Box Intake

Twin 40DCNF Webers Kit from Aud $700.00. Ducting & Pod filter Aud $170.00

2 x Chrome DCNF air filter 45mm V/S Cold Air box with 4" ducted hose & 6" x 4" Pod filter with Cold air @ 19 Deg's V/S hot Air in engine by up to 85+ Deg's

5B1DC67E-C206-4DC5-B06E-FCDD2BB818CD.jpeg
Didn’t work. Appearently the hood sucks more air then fresh air blows in.

2BB2160D-58FA-4C1F-9EAA-B02149203B61.jpeg

Closed the box and sucks air from below the gas tank. Colder then this is not possible. But while driving the temp under the hood is not very hot. Kn filter inside. Still testing.

Everage of 20 to 30 degrees celsius lower inlet temperature.

Attachments

• F21F0D99-2124-47D3-B98C-4BBFD5EBBC33.jpeg
    F21F0D99-2124-47D3-B98C-4BBFD5EBBC33.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I'd be happy just to have the ducktail and funky exhaust tip off that red snorkeled X.
Seriously, the aural quality of a car is part of the fun experience to some of us. For street use a growling intake is worth it just to listen to whether it actually improves the power. Companies like Ansa had an industry of making supposedly better sounding exhausts that probably didn't do much to increase power.

Companies like Ansa had an industry of making supposedly better sounding exhausts that probably didn't do much to increase power.
For that matter, the entire $800 Billion dollar per year (globally) automotive aftermarket industry is at least 80% about looks and style rather than performance and function.

Is a rain tray delete an option for you? With that and an under shield used under a cone filter; you should get the increase and sound your after.

Pipe the cold air's intake hose into the passenger cabin for the full sound effect. Maybe branch it to each side of the headrest for "stereo". ;)

Soundaktor, what every car needs, it is the modern equivalent to ‘bbbbrrrrrttt’ with your lips flapping.

Last edited:
Don't several modern vehicles actually pump fake engine sounds into the interior to impress buyers? Us Americans are so easy to sell.

View attachment 11768 Didn’t work. Appearently the hood sucks more air then fresh air blows in.
View attachment 11769
Closed the box and sucks air from below the gas tank. Colder then this is not possible. But while driving the temp under the hood is not very hot. Kn filter inside. Still testing.

Everage of 20 to 30 degrees celsius lower inlet temperature.

Nice work there. That's one packed bay :D

Although I'm sure it was frustrating for you, it is nice to have more empircal data to support the fact that the X1/9 design promotes air drawn-through-and-up-from-below. Snorkels work to feed air to the intake purely because of the "Ram Air" approach, IMO. That was my rationale for the side air intake on the engine cover. I'm pretty sure that any ducting that doesn't extend outside the bay cover / targa frame area will not push air into the bay/ filter area.

Nice work there. That's one packed bay :D

Although I'm sure it was frustrating for you, it is nice to have more empircal data to support the fact that the X1/9 design promotes air drawn-through-and-up-from-below. Snorkels work to feed air to the intake purely because of the "Ram Air" approach, IMO. That was my rationale for the side air intake on the engine cover. I'm pretty sure that any ducting that doesn't extend outside the bay cover / targa frame area will not push air into the bay/ filter area.
I was not looking for air to be pushed in. I have an uno turbo, that sucks air by itself. But with the hot air escaping through the hood, it was sucking that hot air back in. Didn’t make a difference without the open case.

I went out for a drive once and forgot I had left off the access panel for the dizzy. At speed, air was pouring into the cabin from that opening like I had a fan blowing into the car. I guess that suggests the engine bay is pressurized and engine bay air is looking for routes to escape.

I went out for a drive once and forgot I had left off the access panel for the dizzy. At speed, air was pouring into the cabin from that opening like I had a fan blowing into the car. I guess that suggests the engine bay is pressurized and engine bay air is looking for routes to escape.

For the same reason that Raisin Bran has a crapload of raisins! :)

Back