Rust bucket or not

iambhooper

Daily Driver
34777646_10215902059846485_1333677320677883904_n.jpg

I know some of you have seen this. What do you think, salvageable or not? It needs at least a hood and fender. I do not like major body work.
Thanks!

34777646_10215902059846485_1333677320677883904_n.jpg

I know some of you have seen this. What do you think, salvageable or not? It needs at least a hood and fender. I do not like major body work.
Thanks!

There is probably deeper corrosion than what you see but to fix it all it takes is skill, ambition and MONEY. Oh and tools for DIY. Or a lot of money and someone else with the skill and tools.

If the damage is limited to just the fender I have seen replacement fenders.

But even with Rust like that, you can still enjoy the car, maybe do something cheap, simple to make it hidden. then drive the snot out of it and enjoy it!

I agree with all... from what I've seen so far the rust is in the right fender, hood and possibly the cowling. If the cowling has rot, and or there is major structure damage, then this is a no go. If that's it, then Imaybe probably on board with the project.

Are you looking to buy it? Grab the silver one that toofast has for sale and never look back. This one looks like it probably has a lot of cancer in it.

Are you looking to buy it? Grab the silver one that toofast has for sale and never look back. This one looks like it probably has a lot of cancer in it.

Dont have 11g!

i have more pics of the yellow car, if i can figure out how to post them i will.

IMHO, this is a part car. Even if you do everything yourself, your car will not Worth much more than what you invested in. As usual: find the best one you could afford. If your budget is not 11k, then follow your budget, but don't buy a rust bucket.

If the damage is limited to just the fender I have seen replacement fenders.

But even with Rust like that, you can still enjoy the car, maybe do something cheap, simple to make it hidden. then drive the snot out of it and enjoy it!

You can do some amazing things with bondo and some cool graphics with rattle cans.

Dont have 11g!

i have more pics of the yellow car, if i can figure out how to post them i will.

11 Grand can be hard to cough up at one time but to do the yellow car close to right it will be all of that or more. You will just be doling it out a bit at a time.

15-20 years ago a car like that wouldn't scare me.

Rust in the rocker, as it shows below the fender is major work to repair. And that is only what you can directly see.

I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole except as a parts car.

Bondo is not repair. Bondo is plastic filler that will not stop the rust, repair the rust, is not structural and will likely propagate further rust.

If you don’t do body work this is not a car for you. There are plenty of much better cars for not much more money.

Follow the adage of buying the best car you can, that doesn’t mean buying the most expensive car, it means the one you can afford. Take it from me, a classic car sitting in your garage in pieces is not much fun. Buying a project means you won’t be driving that project for some time.

Karl, I agree with what your saying. If you saw the drivers side of this car, it looks entirely different!

And for the record, I have an 87 CRx have been restomoding for 18 months....totally apart in my shop!

Last edited:
Rust in the rocker, as it shows below the fender is major work to repair. And that is only what you can directly see.

I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole except as a parts car.

Bondo is not repair. Bondo is plastic filler that will not stop the rust, repair the rust, is not structural and will likely propagate further rust.

If you don’t do body work this is not a car for you. There are plenty of much better cars for not much more money.

Follow the adage of buying the best car you can, that doesn’t mean buying the most expensive car, it means the one you can afford. Take it from me, a classic car sitting in your garage in pieces is not much fun. Buying a project means you won’t be driving that project for some time.

Wasn't saying body filler was the right way, just a fast temp so it will look half way decent while you are, in Rod's words "driving the snot out of it".

It looks worse than my did, I wouldn't start on mine chassis if would knew how much rust is hidden, and definitely not on this one.
In final You could invest same amount as silver one, but it still wouldn't be so excellent.

okay, here are a few of the pics i have...both good and bad. You can see whats attractive about this car!

Attachments

• received_1457361181036352.jpeg
    received_1457361181036352.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 37709.jpeg
    37709.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 82
  • 37707.jpeg
    37707.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 37702.jpeg
    37702.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 37700.jpeg
    37700.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 37687.jpeg
    37687.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 84
The pics are only (tiny) thumbnails when clicked on, so no detail can be seen. I hate rust. I don't like doing bodywork either. Since these fenders are not bolt on, cutting them off, and repairing the inner fender and probably rocker are significant work. Windshield frame is major work, IMO. Unless it's dirt cheap, I would agree better to look for something else.

Back