Whining noise from front hub

Niklas Andersson

Daily Driver
Hello, I tried to search for it but since the search function doesn't work on three letter words...

I recently found out that my -73 x1/9 has this whining noise coming from the front hub (drivers side).
I dismantled the wheel and brake with disk and the whining was still there when I turned the hub.
I sprayed some lubricant on the outside radial seal and that seemed to have solved the problem, for now at least.
Does anyone have any experience from similar symptoms and any knowledge on whether I should prepare for more serious issues with that hub?
I'm thinking the radial seal might be about to give up and that would most likely mean new bearings which I think are starting to be hard to find.
The bearings feel OK now at least, no play and no growling sound during driving.

Anyone seen (heard) anything like this before?

Sounds like a wheel bearing will soon be failing.

If the OE bearings for the early hubs are getting difficult to find then updating to newer uprights and hubs would be a good choice. The newer bearings are significantly better in regards to longevity.

Sorry to hear you are having some problems.

Drive it down the road and turn the steering wheel to the left and listen for a whine then do the same by turning the steering wheel to the right. If you find it is louder either left or right, it is telling you that one bearing race is pitted as there are 2 races in the wheel bearing. Normally 1 race goes before the other so for instance it is possible not to hear any bearing whine when turning one way or the other. Regardless, a bearing change is in order.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

According to what I have read, one of the weak points the X1/9 inherited from its FIAT 128 roots is that early cars seemed to have wheel bearing problems, which is why FIAT upgraded them to the larger size seen in the '79 and newer cars.

Wheel bearings changed in 79' to significantly LARGER front and rear angular contact bearings. OEM Fiat spec-quality bearings typically last 100,000+ miles front or rear.

Wheel bearings in pre 79' cars and Lancia Scorpiacarlo share wheel bearings from the 128 series, which are smaller angular contact bearings that have a history of potential problems.

If there is noise form a hub and the wheel bearing are of unknown history or quality, suspect the bearings are potential cause of that noise.

Bernice

According to what I have read, one of the weak points the X1/9 inherited from its FIAT 128 roots is that early cars seemed to have wheel bearing problems, which is why FIAT upgraded them to the larger size seen in the '79 and newer cars.

Ok, thanks for the input. I keep my ears tuned in to that frequency so to say.

It's not the typical failing bearing noise and it completely went away after those few drops of 5-56 (similar to WD-40).
I'm more into the idea that the seal is giving in but I guess that will eventually lead to same problem with failing bearings.
I will definitely take with the tip on changing the upright to a newer one.

Cheers!

Back