'86 for sale on Craigslist-Bellevue, WA

props to the owners for putting 170K miles on the car. Shows it was given a lot of care throughout its life. I would trust that more than many lower mileage cars in this case.

Pssah... it's barely broken in. I've got 343,000 or so on my '79.

props to the owners for putting 170K miles on the car. Shows it was given a lot of care throughout its life. I would trust that more than many lower mileage cars in this case.

My '82 X is almost at the 200k mark (199,122 miles to be exact -- over 124k of those miles are mine). Still going strong! Blows a bit of smoke right now, when starting up, but I already have 16x Teflon valve stem seals from MWB. Eight of them are waiting for me to decide if I want to put them into the '82 Fiat myself, or bring them to Kelly in Napa. The other 8 were purchased so that my low-mileage '85 Bertone would not become jealous. It doesn't need them at this time, and hopefully not for a long time to come, but buying duplicates is something an owner has to do when he has a harem-full of cars, instead of garage-full of cars. :D

Last edited:
you two are exceptions to the norm, and so is the owner or POs for the car for sale above. I hope to be able to get my car up to that some day. Preventative and normal maintenance sounds nice compared to have my seats in long term storage in the rafters of the garage for over a year while I work on it.

you two are exceptions to the norm, and so is the owner or POs for the car for sale above.
I know I'm the third owner of my '82 Fiat, because it came with a healthy supply of service records. I'm pretty sure I'm the fourth owner of my '85 Bertone. It came with almost no paper trail to speak of, except for the receipt for a full tune-up that the PO gave it -- the cost of which might have played into his decision to try to find a new owner. As a young owner, he might have had the startling revelation that cars are not cheap, even if you bought it from a nice, friendly old lady, for a song. Regular servicing and gasoline fill-ups are sizable investments or costs over the lifetime of a good vehicle.

I am blessed that both of my X's have had previous owners who took good care of their cars. And of course, I do too. Loved-ones are not neglected.

Last edited:
Oh I know how mad she can get.

I am 28 years into that ‘damn green car’ I bought in 1990. Don’t get me started on the discussions about ‘you said you would get rid of one of your Fiats if you bought another’ (but honey its apart and the other one is drivable, I can’t until its back together and the old one will need paint anyway and...)

I am up to 8 x1/9's now. Wife even went with Me to pick up the last one. And helped push it into the carport. She has one of the 8 and enjoy's driving it! even more now that the burnt exhaust valve has been replaced (you know they run a LOT better on all 4)

I am up to 8 x1/9's now. Wife even went with Me to pick up the last one. And helped push it into the carport. She has one of the 8 and enjoy's driving it! even more now that the burnt exhaust valve has been replaced (you know they run a LOT better on all 4)
8 X1/9s!? That's crazy...no wait - never mind.

I bought mine to drive around while I took my (former) '79 Spider 2000 off the road to fix the suspension bits the PO had "improved upon." The Spider had supposedly sat along the coast for 6-months, but under the windshield wiper cowling, it was swiss cheese. There were lots of other issues as well.

This X was put up for sale by a mechanic in FIAT America and had been owned by a former client of his who was also a long-time member of the club. It had about 242,000 miles on it when when I bought it in July 2000. The price was relatively reasonable at $2,600, although the seller later sold cars in worse shape for more money, so I'm not too sure why he was kind to me.

It came with a big stack of records. The first owner lived about 2+ hours away and commuted back and forth to work everyday for 3 or 4 years and the documentation showed the miles being added to the car. The 2nd owner picked up the CD-58s at a junk yard. The mechanic made some changes to the car that were supposed to be improvements but I've had other Fiat people look at it and they've shaken their head when they see what was done. But it's still a joy to drive. It's not my daily driver but being in California, 4 years of drought meant the car got driven quite a lot year round. This past winter, we had a lot of rain so the car sat in the garage, partly because the top seals aren't that good and it drips in a few spots.

I also have a few other Fiats, but will post about them in a different thread at some point.

Larry

you two are exceptions to the norm, and so is the owner or POs for the car for sale above. I hope to be able to get my car up to that some day. Preventative and normal maintenance sounds nice compared to have my seats in long term storage in the rafters of the garage for over a year while I work on it.

Back