Water temp sending unit

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I believe some 850's (or other early models) used a water temperature sensor/sender that attached through an external water jacket with hoses attached? The sender is made by Veglia, part number 65-9612, as shown in the photos below. My question is what type of gauge did this connect to? Or more specifically, what temp range is it designed to feed on the gauge (i.e. maximum displayed temp)? Thanks.

Fiat-850-Spider-Coupe-100GBC-Temperaturfühler-Temperaturgeber-original.jpg Fiat-850-Spider-Coupe-100GBC-Temperaturfuhler-Temperaturgeber-original-_57 (1).jpg Fiat-850-Spider-Coupe-100GBC-Temperaturfuhler-Temperaturgeber-original-_57 (2).jpg Fiat-850-Spider-Coupe-100GBC-Temperaturfuhler-Temperaturgeber-original-_57.jpg

As a side question, how was it plumbed and what do the hoses connect to?

Thanks Mark, that explains the need for a long-tip / pass-through type nose on the sensor. This is more typical of a oil pressure sender than for water temp. These cooling systems always seemed a bit "under designed" to me. :) I guess they were something of a evolution from the air cooled engines?

Still interested to learn what temp range gauge the sender is designed for. I've seen 260 and 300 degree F Fiat gauges, but not even sure if either is the correct gauge for this sender. Thanks again.

Thanks Mark, that explains the need for a long-tip / pass-through type nose on the sensor. This is more typical of a oil pressure sender than for water temp. These cooling systems always seemed a bit "under designed" to me. :) I guess they were something of a evolution from the air cooled engines?
Actually the 850 engine is derived from the 600 which was a clean sheet design, not derived from air cooled . Properly maintained the cooling system was adequate for a stock engine. For a thorough history on the design of these cars I recommend "Forty years of design with Fiat" by Dante Giacosa. A fascinating read in any case but even more so if you have one of the cars he had a hand in designing.

Actually the 850 engine is derived from the 600 which was a clean sheet design, not derived from air cooled
Thanks. Unfortunately I know nothing about 850's or 500's, which is why I ask questions. I've only owned SOHC and DOHC Fiat's. This particular Veglia temp sensor was on a VW I acquired, connected to a VDO gauge. I recognized the brand as common with Fiat applications, so did a little search online. That's how I found out it was fitted to some 850's. No idea why it had been installed on the VW. But actually it was done correctly together with a switch for the dash warning light, using a "piggyback" style fitting (like typically used to mount two oil senders).

Here's an album with a bunch or random pictures
Mark, indeed very sweet looking car. Extremely well done. I've always liked the version with the covered headlights. I also like the alloy wheels in some pictures, Campagnolo's? Question about the underside of the engine/truck lids, is the texture a truck bed liner or other coating?

Back