wide body kit

Janis

True Classic
Maybe we should start a seperate thread for this?

To help show what I was referring to by "add-on" attachments rather than complete "replacement" fenders. If you do not necessarily want to make an exact replica (clone) of the Dallara, but create the same style in a simpler way. The extensions can be made to attach onto the existing fenders, either bonded (glued) or riveted and smoothed over. Here are some examples on other types of cars. Ignore the actual styles/shapes, this is just to show the design of how the "add-on" section is made to go onto the existing fenders. [I don't necessarily care for the exposed screws, but they can be attached from behind so they don't show]:
View attachment 13756 View attachment 13757 View attachment 13758 View attachment 13759 View attachment 13760 View attachment 13761 View attachment 13762

If you make a mold for them, to create the extensions from fiberglass, then the molds could be used by someone else to make them for his X (like maybe a guy in the US). ;)

Separate thread started.

I like the look of kit like on e30. Actually something like this would be more reliable (and street legal) in case of damage or amount of job involved to add it on the car.

One of my friends owns a company that make fiberglass fenders and kits, so if anyone would be interested - no problem, for me that kind of profession is too itchy :D .

What amount of extended width would You prefer on the front and rear?

Actually something like this would be more reliable (and street legal) in case of damage or amount of job involved to add it on the car.
Agree. Although some "fitting" is always required with any add-on piece, it is much easier than to fit a complete replacement panel. The wide-body or fender-extension concept has been around forever, but lately its had a huge increase in popularity. In general there are a few categories of flare styles. You could make this in the Dallara style to be unique for the X, or design your own custom style.

One of my friends owns a company that make fiberglass fenders and kits, so if anyone would be interested - no problem
I think that would be fantastic. It should be much more affordable than a complete Dallara kit, and much easier for someone to install at home without being a highly skilled bodyman. If you can, ask your friend about it in more detail.

What amount of extended width would You prefer on the front and rear?
Several things to consider; width of available wheels/tires, overall fit (style) with the car's design, do you want to follow the original Dallara dimensions or go a different direction, what is a practical width for the suspension/steering to cope with (wheel travel and movement), what is a "safe" width for the vehicle or for inspection requirements, etc.. These cars don't have the performance potential (without an engine swap) to need a ton of tire contact patch, but honestly this is more for style than practical performance.

Last edited:
This is a bit different than your concept, but it might come under the topic of wide-body fenders (sort of).

There are some "universal" fender flare options available. They are not designed for any particular vehicle, but rather intended to be applied to just about anything. The shape is general, and they come in different sizes (arch, width, contour, etc). The material is slightly flexible to allow fitting to different vehicles shapes. They tend to be shorter at the lower ends to allow them to fit more vehicles. And they are REALLY inexpensive. Here are a couple examples of what I'm referring to:
s-l640.jpg
41dkAy35wUL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
s-l300.jpg

At this point you might be wondering why even consider these? We have several great styles available that are custom tailored to fit the X's body. So why look at a generic item?

In certain cases these might have a use. For example, I have a 'parts car' X that has a lot of rust and is missing several things (used for the other X). So it is not worth restoring or spending much money on, despite being complete enough to make drivable (technically). One thought is to strip it down much like a "track car"; no interior, side windows, accessories, trim, etc (all were donated to the other car). And make it into a bit of a 'rat rod' (do they still use that term?) to thrash around in. Maybe even turn it into a track-day beater. But the fender arches are very rusty (actually one of the worst areas for rust on this one). So I'm thinking of cutting off the rusted arches and putting the least expensive flares I can find to hide it. I don't want them to be too wide because the wheels/tires I have for it aren't that wide. Basically the car isn't worth spending the price of a nice set of flares from the Fiat vendors, and the universal flares are very cheap.

I LOVE this look:
s-l640.jpg

Especially the fact that it shows so much of the tire from the rear and even at the front of the wheel.
To me that oozes muscle and performance.
This is the supercar look of the 70s.

The opposite look is the race car look that covers the tire as much as possible, contaning any gravel flying from the contact patch. A good example for this is the pics of Stingray posted above.

I would really like to see pics of an X with the stick on fenders and wide tires.

I would really like to see pics of an X with the stick on fenders and wide tires.
That was the thought I had for my "ultra cheap" project X. The car is basically crap - it was a parts donor for the nicer X project - so I just want to have a little fun with what's left of it. Those 'universal' flares are under $90 (shipped) for all four corners. I also like the old school duck-tail spoiler on the back of that Z car, but unless I find something really cheap it won't happen. Front end will get a homemade air dam. Gut what little is left of the interior and mount a left over race seat from my old wrecked track car. The engine is currently fuel injected and sort of runs. I'll have to see if the FI can be sorted easily, or I might swap to a Weber DCNF I have. Euro 4:2 exhaust manifold thanks to Janis, and I'm making a downpipe and exhaust (just a "glasspack" for a muffler). I paid very little for the car, took a lot of parts I needed and sold a couple items from it. So basically it's a free project. Just like in the old days. :)

Dr, your proposed rat X sounds a lot like my current Bertone. If you can make spoilers from scratch, it seems a rear duck tail would be a piece of cake. I really want one for my car and have thought of making a NASCAR style rear spoiler. It's fun to have a rat X to do anything you want to it without worrying about it's "value". I drilled four 2" holes under the rear license plate just because it looked interesting.

I LOVE this look:
View attachment 13832

Especially the fact that it shows so much of the tire from the rear and even at the front of the wheel.
To me that oozes muscle and performance.
This is the supercar look of the 70s.

The opposite look is the race car look that covers the tire as much as possible, contaning any gravel flying from the contact patch. A good example for this is the pics of Stingray posted above.

Stingray?

I'm diggin a big rear spoiler... I took a cheap "ricer" spoiler and made some new euro looking side plates and stretched out the distance between the top and bottom slats... looks pretty impressive on the butt end.

Attachments

• IMG_20180227_171848331[1].jpg
    IMG_20180227_171848331[1].jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20180304_115948195[1].jpg
    IMG_20180304_115948195[1].jpg
    392 KB · Views: 113
I'm old school, more into ducktails that elevated spoilers although I admit that's not bad looking. Looks better on that X than on a Camry.

It all depends on the application; each vehicle project I do has a different look / feel, based on the year and style of vehicle and what direction I'm going with it. But in the case of this 'Outlaw X' I agree that a old school duck-tail spoiler would look right. If it was a nicer car to start with then I might consider following a newer style, big 'boxed' fenders, front splitter, rear wing, with more of a "aero" look. Something like the red one we've seen before:

X19 race car.jpg

But I want to keep this project around $500 all-in. The wrecked track car that's been sitting in my yard for years was a 70's VW Rabbit (Mk1 Golf). It was purpose built for track days; completely gutted, engine swap with a 2L 16V, Bilstein 'Cup' coil-over suspension, 'Cup' flares over 10" wide wheels, Cobra race seat, etc. I will use some of the parts from it and convert them for this X, hopefully to include the coil-overs and 10" wheels. Otherwise everything will be very cheaply done.

Carl, you are right that a duck-tail could be made for it. Eventually I might. But making a front air-dam is much easier to me; at least in this case, because it will just be a 'wall' across the entire nose. Perhaps something similar to this Pantera's nose (but more simplified):

modified-pantera-front-spoiler-1200x800.jpg

Or this RX7:

1476996904134.jpg

The idea of a "NASCAR" style rear spoiler would be easy to do, something like on some autocross cars. It might fit this build well:

41xKQdYmZUL.jpg
a457ab73dec9092affdd16fd9134e386.jpg

Might even add a little more style into it:

maxresdefault.jpg

So long as you don't go too far (Japan's Bosozoku comes to mind):

boso4.jpg bosozoku_10.jpg 053031.jpg DSC02537-1200x800.jpg

Stingray, after Your photos I have no more will to spend month (most likely months :D ) on what I was going to do. Yours look excellent and is easier than molds stuff..

Honestly it is a lot of work either way. It would depend on what style you want, some construction techniques work better with certain designs.

Would love to see a picture of the rear
Did you click on the photo and review the slide show (like 4 or 5 pics I think)? There is a shot of the rear flare from an angle that shows how much it covers and how far it extends out. Pretty wide addition.

Did you click on the photo and review the slide show (like 4 or 5 pics I think)? There is a shot of the rear flare from an angle that shows how much it covers and how far it extends out. Pretty wide addition.
Oops didn't realize there was an arrow to browse more than the 3 visible pictures. That 4th was exactly what I was looking for. No kidding that's a wide addition, wish it went futher up higher on the vehicle though.

Back