Hello from NC

wndsofchng06

Daily Driver
Hi all. Just got my first Fiat, a 77 x1/9. I've built lots of American iron, but this is my first foreign car. I am sure to have a ton of questions. Unfortunately restoration was started by a previous owner by removing the interior and placing in boxes. I have the Hayne's manual and am not scared!
My first question as I dove in the other night, what are the switches on either side of the gear shift, they are not listed in my manual.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Welcome. There is an active Fiat club in NC, but most of the members are at Freakout this week.

Do you have power windows? If yes, those are the switches.

Hi all. Just got my first Fiat, a 77 x1/9. I've built lots of American iron, but this is my first foreign car. I am sure to have a ton of questions. Unfortunately restoration was started by a previous owner by removing the interior and placing in boxes. I have the Hayne's manual and am not scared!
My first question as I dove in the other night, what are the switches on either side of the gear shift, they are not listed in my manual.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
My condolences, hope you have a patient and understanding wife. The switches are for the ejector seats.

I don’t think the ‘77s had power windows. I am not as familiar with the 1300’s though. Post a photo of the console.

Welcome to Xweb!

No power windows on 1300s. I had a '77. For the two switches on either side of the shifter, one is for the rear window defroster and the other is a "spare switch" and isn't connected to anything.

the ones behind the shifter are (L) rear window defroster and (R) "spare switch" with 3 dots.

these photos will help

Fiat-X1-9-heater-controls.jpg IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2269.JPG

My condolences, hope you have a patient and understanding wife. The switches are for the ejector seats.

So....then I'm guessing the right switch is for use when the wife is no longer patient and understanding ?....

Sorry, I could not resist......

Welcome to the forum Matt. You will find lots of great info and ( mostly ) friendly folks with helpful advice. But sadly, like this post, interspersed with bouts of bad-taste humour.....

So....then I'm guessing the right switch is for use when the wife is no longer patient and understanding ?....

Sorry, I could not resist......

Welcome to the forum Matt. You will find lots of great info and ( mostly ) friendly folks with helpful advice. But sadly, like this post, interspersed with bouts of bad-taste humour.....

This forum is quite civilized compared to the unsavory stuff that goes down on the 4X4 chat I am signed up to.
Also welcome to this forum Matt.
Haven't been to NC for many years but have an old navy buddy in Raleigh. Say hi for me if you bump into him. His name is Robert.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Went out and tinkered a little more. Definitely NOT power windows. See attached console pic. Isn't it weird to install a "spare" switch that is hooked to nothing? Also trying to identify the two little sensors on the side of the carb, I assume one is a sensor for the carb fan? I am going to delete all the emissions stuff, already removed the charcoal can and the vacuum control valve. Any one have a radio box they want to part with?
20180816_174828.jpg
20180816_174837.jpg
20180816_185127.jpg

Welcome! "Spare switch" cost me some Belgian francs when I bought a new X1/9 while stationed in Belgium as a US service member. Belgian laws required a few accessories that were not installed that I had to pay extra/negotiate for: Seat belts, fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, and a rear fog light. Europeans countries required a rear fog light, Fiat had added a spare switch, but not the light. In the end I was glad the light was required and had to use it many times. There WAS fog, and it was nice that people used them.

Isn't it weird to install a "spare" switch that is hooked to nothing?
From a design point-of-view, it might have been considered better to have a do-nothing switch with 3 dots on it rather than a blanking plate, simply for the sake of symmetry. In later years blanking plates were common for unused openings in the cockpit, not only unused switch locations, but also the digital clock and radio, if they were not installed.

Welcome, XWeb is a place where you will recieve plenty of assistance. So loft up those questions

Looks like you have an interesting project ahead of you. We really like pictures here and make it pretty easy to put them up. We do have the factory manual online here so be sure to poke around the WIKI. Someone here has done just about every task on these cars and many have either documented it or can tell you the best way to do most anything. Don’t hesitate to ask or search around.

FYI, that shift boot belongs in the Nissan it came out of, not an X. It came with a leatherette or leather boot which would fit nicer and be appropriate.

There have been some good interactions around the passive systems like the carbon canister and general venting of the fuel tank which are both good systems to keep. Without proper venting it is possible for the fuel tank to collapse when being driven due to the fuel pump. The carbon canister being a passive system has no negative effect on performance and provides significant benefit by not having your gas just evaporate away.

In any case welcome and I hope that you enjoy your new X.

Hi Matt. you asked about the 2 sensors on the carb. i believe the bigger one (the one with 1 terminal ) is an "idle solenoid". It is ( or should be ) powered with ignition on. With no power to it, the idle circuit of the carb is blocked . It's function is to prevent the car from "running on" when the key is turned off. Thus unless it is properly hooked up and functioning, the car will NOT idle.

Thus it does not harm performance. It only adds clutter. And you WILL have to either hook it up (if it is still working) or disable its function somehow. As I recall, you can take it apart and somehow modify it to prevent it shutting off the idle circuit. So it no longer needs to be powered. But then the car might well "run on" after shut down. I am not sure if you can somehow remove it entirely.

Sorry, I am not sure what that other carb sensor does.

You did not say if your X is a "runner", or had been sitting for many years. Or the state of the engine or if you have any maintenance history. So..please be aware that the engine in your year of X is an interference design. Thus if the timing belt breaks - or more likely strips some teeth - the valves and pistons will collide and result in a world of hurt. This engine was one of the world's first with a timing belt, and back then the belt design was much thinner and narrower than more recent designs. And would not last nearly as long as more modern cars.

A new timing belt is pretty cheap - like $20 - and pretty easy to install. So......

Good luck with your project. Doug

A new timing belt is pretty cheap - like $20 - and pretty easy to install. So......

Good luck with your project. Doug
Thanks Doug! It's got 96k miles, and the previous owner says it ran 3 years ago, prior to starting restoration. Timing belt was DEFINITELY on my list to do before starting it up! I am going to do a compression check as well. If that is good, I'll move forward with a clutch and carb rebuild. I've been pleasantly surprised at parts pricing and availability. (just ordered my new floor pans) I originally bought this with the idea of putting floor pans and a coat of resale red on it then flipping, but the more I mess with this car, the more it might stay in my garage!

Nothing like a nice clean machine to work on. Getting rid of the grime and built up schmutz of the past makes it more enjoyable to work on.

Back