Regan Burba

True Classic
Hey all,
I apologize in advance if this was already discussed in another forum, but I have been scrolling through the Fiat Bertone X1/9 Greek Club web page and discovered that there were multiple X prototypes/concepts through the years, some of which I have never heard of.
There is the well known 1969 Runabout, but there is also the 1980 2+2, the 1981 ICSUNODIECI x10, the X1/9 Familiare, the 1980 GT Cabrio, and the 1990 X1/9

Link to the webpage:

http://x19gr.50webs.com/prototypes.htm

Does anybody have any more information about these? Were any models made (if so, are there more pictures?), but most of all, what do you guys think of these designs?

The wagon looking one looks interesting, but I wonder what engine cooling would have been like. Most of the designs pale in comparison to the original IMHO.

I am not sure if it qualifies as a representative of the "1988 X1/9 GT Cabrio", but in the early 80s an aftermarket company was producing the "Little Sister" convertible. A 1981 little sister changed hands here on Xweb in 2015.
B32778.jpg

I do sort of like the 2+2. Not super practical for rear passengers but it does provide extra room in the cabin for luggage and such.

Henk went to tour the Bertone collection earlier this year. You can check out his post here. The 2+2 is in the group of 5 X1/9s in the collection and Henk took some good pictures. Also one of the ALCAN aluminum Xs is in the photos.

The wagon is just a „photoshop job“ before photoshop existed. It was originally green I think. The colors have been changed in the pic.
The bottom one however is a genuine study of how the X could be modernized.

Well not to be nitpicky, but the 2+2 is really a 2+1.

Longer wheelbase, added width, and there is some confusion whether a 2L DOHC engine was fitted (although the signage at Volandia says it's a normal 1.5L). No info on whether the top was still removeable, but if it were, it would be too long and wide to fit in the usual stowage spot in the frunk, so presumably would have to be left at home.

I did that wagon looking version back in the 90s in Photoshop. I made it to look like a spy shot or prototype and somehow, it has become internet reality. That was never a design by Bertone, it was just me playing around.

Funny how that works.

Hey Brett,
Good job! I think it looks really good if not very practical with a midengine. :)

I did that wagon looking version back in the 90s in Photoshop. I made it to look like a spy shot or prototype and somehow, it has become internet reality. That was never a design by Bertone, it was just me playing around.

Funny how that works.
Brett,

Nice work. As soon as I saw that wagon, I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It felt as if a million voices suddenly cried out in terror: "The targa top will be way too heavy!" :p:rolleyes:

Brett,

Nice work. As soon as I saw that wagon, I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It felt as if a million voices suddenly cried out in terror: "The targa top will be way too heavy!" :p:rolleyes:

It was really a joke. A friend had a Honda Civic Si two-door wagon at the time and we thought a wedge shooting brake would be cool. The thought was to somehow vent the engine and use the area in the top as luggage via cargo strips and custom luggage. I liked the lines but nothing else made much sense. Only the front targa would be removable, the rear was fixed.

It is so funny to see this car on the internet as a test mule. Would be fun to make one someday.

Hey all,
I apologize in advance if this was already discussed in another forum, but I have been scrolling through the Fiat Bertone X1/9 Greek Club web page and discovered that there were multiple X prototypes/concepts through the years, some of which I have never heard of.
There is the well known 1969 Runabout, but there is also the 1980 2+2, the 1981 ICSUNODIECI x10, the X1/9 Familiare, the 1980 GT Cabrio, and the 1990 X1/9

Link to the webpage:

http://x19gr.50webs.com/prototypes.htm

Does anybody have any more information about these? Were any models made (if so, are there more pictures?), but most of all, what do you guys think of these designs?

A lot of these are displayed in the Bertone collection in Volandia. I was lucky enough to be there in January when it opened. See:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/bertone-collection-in-volandia.33492/

Cheers,
Dom.

A lot of those are really ugly haha. I'm glad they designed the X1/9 the way they did those earlier drawings were pretty ugly.

I didn't realise when the Bertone auction details came out in 2015, that only a two-tone VS based GT was being offered. This perhaps explains and confirms a story told by the owner of a GT at the 40th Anniversary meeting in Turin in 2012. The picture below is from way back in 2000 for the "X1/9 World Days" visit to Stile Bertone (note the off-colour red, it's a scan of photograph - remember them?), the GT displayed on the day was not the VS one now in the museum, but a standard trim red one:

2000.jpg

However, in 2012 at the Turin meeting, the Italian owner of the car below, said he'd bought it from Bertone "as they had two" - I assumed they'd converted two red cars at the time, little realising the car was highly likely the same one from Stile Bertone in 2000 - unless of course there's another red GT out there! That's unlikely I think, but how odd Bertone would dispose of what appears to be the more tidy conversion?

2012.jpg

Back