Preparing For Honda K24a3/AST5 6spd Conversion

Looks pretty clever. I am a bit concerned that the supply connection to the radiator could be partially blocked by the angle of the thermostat housing. Wouldn't it be better to get the engine in the engine bay and then worry about the thermostat design? You will most likely be putting the engine in and out a few times to make sure you have all of the clearances good.

Looks like you'll be OK Hussein. I think Rodgers right tho - your ECT forward port gonna be blocked by the hot line to the radiator (which is the passenger-outer side feed tube below).
COOLING-SYSTEM-PLUMBING-1_zps65860279.jpg
In one of the MWB photos online they show an inverted "J' shaped hardline going around all the return/thermostat business - so it gets tight there. You might be able to re-route the hot radiator supply line but it gets pretty cramped in that area.

And like Rodger said - you'll be putting the engine in/out 3-5 times. Just happens.

I certainly like your solution tho. Yet another option for K swappers!

Looks pretty clever. I am a bit concerned that the supply connection to the radiator could be partially blocked by the angle of the thermostat housing. Wouldn't it be better to get the engine in the engine bay and then worry about the thermostat design? You will most likely be putting the engine in and out a few times to make sure you have all of the clearances good.

Yeah, I guess so :D

Looks like you'll be OK Hussein. I think Rodgers right tho - your ECT forward port gonna be blocked by the hot line to the radiator (which is the passenger-outer side feed tube below).
View attachment 15160
In one of the MWB photos online they show an inverted "J' shaped hardline going around all the return/thermostat business - so it gets tight there. You might be able to re-route the hot radiator supply line but it gets pretty cramped in that area.

And like Rodger said - you'll be putting the engine in/out 3-5 times. Just happens.

I certainly like your solution tho. Yet another option for K swappers!

That pic does make it more apparent. I was assuming the feed could be worked around the return. I'll play with it a little more to set it close to the block instead of pushed out, since I have the time right now.

Yeah, I guess so :D

That pic does make it more apparent. I was assuming the feed could be worked around the return. I'll play with it a little more to set it close to the block instead of pushed out, since I have the time right now.

There's not a great deal of room to work in there, that's for sure. Here's what mine ended up looking like. One thing you can do to save room is to switch from the silicone hose to a run of aluminum tubing in the tight areas, that cuts a quarter inch or more out of the overall diameter.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

I think the above 2 shots were an earlier configuration I tried. Pretty sure the shot below shows my current configuration, but it's been a year or two since I've been in there. Both configurations use Lancia thermostats, but there are 2 different styles as you can see.

IMG_0134.JPG

I do agree with Rodger and Darin, you're not really going to know what fits until the engine is in place. As I said, it is super-tight in there. To the point where you are trying to figure out how to get a screwdriver or small socket in there to tighten the hose clamps.

Pete

There's not a great deal of room to work in there, that's for sure. Here's what mine ended up looking like. One thing you can do to save room is to switch from the silicone hose to a run of aluminum tubing in the tight areas, that cuts a quarter inch or more out of the overall diameter.

I think the above 2 shots were an earlier configuration I tried. Pretty sure the shot below shows my current configuration, but it's been a year or two since I've been in there. Both configurations use Lancia thermostats, but there are 2 different styles as you can see.

I do agree with Rodger and Darin, you're not really going to know what fits until the engine is in place. As I said, it is super-tight in there. To the point where you are trying to figure out how to get a screwdriver or small socket in there to tighten the hose clamps.

Pete

Thank you for adding reference pics, Pete.

I really want to avoid the over-abundance of hose clamps and junctions. If I need to run a hard pipe up for the rad feed I can easily do that.

I reworked the adaptor today after work. Needs cleanup of course. Straight out, so T/stat sits (almost) right up against the block and the starter. I realized it didn't matter, since the whole thing can drop out, or the t/stat cover can be removed from the underside. I'll leave it as is (once detailed) & see what happens when I put it in the car.

IMG_6366.jpg

Underside
IMG_6367.jpg

About 1 1/2" from extension to edge of ancillary housing. I'm assuming I can get a (feed) hose between these, even if that flange is real close to the frame.
IMG_6368.jpg

3" spacing should be enough for other hose. I want to attach the heater return to the underside of the extension close to the flange, unless there is a reason that won't work?

IMG_6369.jpg

Have a 20" line to use for the clutch feed, but need a 12x1.25 female to 10x1 male adaptor to make it work

IMG_6370.jpg

Only ones I have are 10x1 by 10x1 conversion flare.

What is this type of flare on the clutch line? It's not a bubble flare (or is it?) or inverted...

IMG_6365.jpg

Looks really good. It looks like there should be enough room for the hot water supply to the radiator to go nicely by the smooth part of the extension. Adding the heater return to the underside of the pipe extension would be the perfect place to put it. Nice work.

Looks really good. It looks like there should be enough room for the hot water supply to the radiator to go nicely by the smooth part of the extension. Adding the heater return to the underside of the pipe extension would be the perfect place to put it. Nice work.

OK. I'm assuming that the heater connection I add should point straight down, not angled towards the frame? Looks like at least 5" drop to where the lines come out under the chassis, using Darwooodious's pics (thank you!) for reference

IMG_1745.jpg

OK. I'm assuming that the heater connection I add should point straight down, not angled towards the frame? Looks like at least 5" drop to where the lines come out under the chassis, using Darwooodious's pics (thank you!) for reference

IMG_1745.jpg
I would go straight down. I also found that I had to cut off some of the heater pipe under the car as the stock pipe came too close to the subframe to make a comfortable connection.

I would go straight down. I also found that I had to cut off some of the heater pipe under the car as the stock pipe came too close to the subframe to make a comfortable connection.
Now that I think about it, I would go straight down with the connection but angle it about 20-25 degrees toward passenger side. That way you can use a 90 degree hose to connect to the under car pipe and it will clear the hot line connection to the under car coolant pipe.

Again, you may want to wait until you have the engine on the subframe and in the car to make the best choice in direction.

Now that I think about it, I would go straight down with the connection but angle it about 20-25 degrees toward passenger side. That way you can use a 90 degree hose to connect to the under car pipe and it will clear the hot line connection to the under car coolant pipe.

Again, you may want to wait until you have the engine on the subframe and in the car to make the best choice in direction.

Thanks Rodger. There also needs to be a feed from the expansion tank to here, correct?

Just got back from the New Jersey meet. Was cloudy, then decided to rain around 6:30, so my wife was done :D

This morning, I located the required adaptor to use my 20" hydraulic line.

Right to left: 1/4" inverted flair tube nut (to replace stock 12x1.25 tube nut) into 1/4" (American, inverted)- 3/16" (American, inverted) then 3/16" inverted female to 3/16" 10x1 flare :D

IMG_6372.jpg

OK. Gonna add a NPT underside fitting to use for the heater return. Stock Recirc hose should work cut down a little.

IMG_6375.jpg

Repurposing the stock heater (hard) line for the expansion tank feed. So, I'll make a tube fitting to match the depth & shoulder in the stock housing, and weld it onto my extension so that the factory line oring seal does the job (barrel will be shoved up against the flange). This way, I can keep the soft line off the expansion tank reasonably short up top.

IMG_6373.jpg

Fitting will be bored to 1" ID with a step seat.
IMG_6374.jpg

I'll chop off the rad feed fitting & weld this Volvo one on facing straight back. I'll also chop off that Heater feed pipe & reattach it facing the front of the car underneath the extension housing. Housing Gasket # 18714-RAA-A01

IMG_6376.jpg

Last edited:
Leg bone is connected to the ankle bone...
6EB47E1A-6DAF-4978-8EB1-C92BB6D1B013.jpeg

Funny how so much of the job is just the plumbing and in this case there is a lot of plumbing.

Had an hour or so this morning to work on the recirc & T/stat extension.

With the K-Tuned housing, the stock recirc hose # ( 19504-RAA-A00 ) will work with the Volvo T/stat housing, shortend about an 1" each end

IMG_6377.jpg

Got the (heater) return pipe (which will be my expansion tank feed) junction sorted out in terms of offset & placement on the extension. New Oring # 91315-PNA-003

IMG_6379.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get it machined to 1" ID with a stepped seat and chamfered entry to match stock housing port, then I'll weld it, hog out the I/O ports & clean it all up.

IMG_6378.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the upper rad feed port some more, I think I better angle the neck downhill on a fair angle to make sure I can use a 90º elbow hose off it & not run into whatever I do for the TB - plenum extension

Pete's

DSCF0214_zps61c374a8.jpg

Rodger's

IMG_2689.jpg

I was thinking of welding it facing straight forward, but that would have been a mistake for sure. In many ways I think the housings on the K24 seem easier to repurpose than the K20 variants. My Rad neck is already lower and angled somewhat forward off the bat. The heater feed is also, in that vs. the head port like Rodger's, easier to cut, drop, & flip 180º, & run underneath the rad hose.

IMG_6376.jpg

Last edited:
Love the idea but clearance maybe? However thinking about it, likely wouldn’t be any higher than the AC compressor or the rotrex supercharger. I was using a 75 engine lid with the red k20+rotrex and I had to raise the hinge side and just used the upper studs (in the lower holes of the hinges). Worked and looked great.

Tim, do you have any measurements of the distance from the intake flange to the point where the intake goes into the firewall on these?

Tim_Hoover1.jpg

Tim_Hoover2.jpg

Tim, do you have any measurements of the distance from the intake flange to the point where the intake goes into the firewall on these?

Hussein - I don't have measurements and that car is about 130 miles away. I do have the intake mani at my local shop in the other car (reversed direction) but could get some rough pics of how it doesn't fit going toward left :) I will see the car tomorrow.

Hussein - I don't have measurements and that car is about 130 miles away. I do have the intake mani at my local shop in the other car (reversed direction) but could get some rough pics of how it doesn't fit going toward left :) I will see the car tomorrow.

If you can measure the depth of that manifold for comparison, that would be great :)

I'm trying to gauge how much space/depth I have to build my own plenum off the RBB runners, VS using a PRB intake (which I have coming). I want to keep the crankcase breather functional. The one built into the RBB intake is a good design, simiar in concept to the one Volvo has used on the RNC motors. Those don't have crankcase blowby issues even running twice stock boost, so it works. I don't like to VTA the crankcase, the smell bothers me. I don't know what the K20 does for crankcase breathing, since the intake doesn't have this setup on it:

IMG_6353.jpg

As it so happens, I went to the machine shop this morning to get the piece of aluminum stock turned for my TStat extension, and this was sitting on one of his carts :D

RBC Intake
IMG_6380.jpg

So, now I know :D

depth off flange: approx 10" - 8" runners
IMG_6383.jpg

over length of plenum: 13" to TB flange
IMG_6384.jpg

Plenum depth: approx 5"
IMG_6386.jpg

EDIT - which means approx 12x5x2", or 120 cu in., which is about 1970cc, so close to the K20 displacement. I need to shoot for 8" runners & 2.4l plenum.

Last edited:
Back