1300 pistons

CnC79X19

True Classic
BA42F3C4-171A-49E4-BE60-2AB3AE08F18E.jpeg
Are these pistons worth anything? High compression I think? They have 86-4 stamped on a them

Last edited:
Hard to tell, are they pop up Pistons? 86.4 would be larger than the stock 86mm for a 1300 block.
So you have Abarth Valve springs and now this? Have you pulled the Cam yet? Looks like this was definetly an engine with some performance work done.

86.4mm is the STD bore for a 1500, & with those big valve reliefs these may be just that - STD 1500 pistons fitted to an overbored 1300 block.
These protrude up in a triangular dome though? Aren’t the std pistons flat? They are definitely different from the 1500 pistons we removed from our 79’s block

These protrude up in a triangular dome though? Aren’t the std pistons flat? They are definitely different from the 1500 pistons we removed from our 79’s block

Can't tell - in your photo they look like flat-tops with angled valve recesses (like stock).

Maybe you guys need bigger monitors. :)
I can clearly see that they are pop-up pistons.
Look at the shadow being cast by the "wedge".
pop.JPG

If they are in good shape your could resuse them or sell them to someone whi is building a hot 1300 with an overbore.

Maybe you guys need bigger monitors. :) I can clearly see that they are pop-up pistons. Look at the shadow being cast by the "wedge".

I think you're right! :)

Viewing his photo earlier on a friends phone (small screen), that "shadow" looked like basic carbon build-up or oil. Now that I'm looking at it on a "proper" monitor, I can see what you're talking about. ;)

Hard to tell, are they pop up Pistons? 86.4 would be larger than the stock 86mm for a 1300 block.
So you have Abarth Valve springs and now this? Have you pulled the Cam yet? Looks like this was definetly an engine with some performance work done.
The cam box is shaved and the cam is some sort of regrind with the word special stamped on one end so who knows?

If you have a 1500 block with std bores in good shape you may be able to swap these pistons in? Of course you wouldn't need the Euro head to increase compression then, you could just freshen up the 1300 head and use that. It looks like someone did quite a bit of work to that 1300. (Still would rather have a 1500 with a similar amount of work.) But...if you used those pistons you might end up with too much compression for pump gas?

If you have a 1500 block with std bores in good shape you may be able to swap these pistons in? Of course you wouldn't need the Euro head to increase compression then, you could just freshen up the 1300 head and use that. It looks like someone did quite a bit of work to that 1300. (Still would rather have a 1500 with a similar amount of work.) But...if you used those pistons you might end up with too much compression for pump gas?
Already have our 1500 bored to 87mm with new pistons, and the euro head we have is rebuilt with new valves, bronze guides and will have the ABARTH springs installed as soon as we have time. I read Steve C's SOHC article and sourced a euro cam, euro intake and rebuilt a 34 DATR carb too so I'm hoping someone can use all the 1300 stuff. What I'd really like to do is trade it all for some black interior items he needs for his 79

Back