Anyone heard of this speed shop?

I agree on the wheels but not worth $4,700.
The guy is somewhat local, maybe I should offer him $300 for the wheels and offer to trailer the rest of the car to the dump for him.

Oh be nice. Any 850 that isn’t bending in half is worth looking carefully at. Although not a 4.7k car, it is a possible rebuild candidate.

"...is Performance Engine with Poets Bros Speed Machine" = It has a bone-stock 903 with a sticker on the valve cover & an old Bayless "Meaner Cleaner" air filter unit.

"Need a Top And Recover The Seats" = Needs a sh@tload of work AND a new engine lid.

"The Whole Car Is All Original" = Except for the steering wheel, luggage rack, Revolution wheels, Bayless air filter & the actual YEAR of the car (1972, not 1971).

"Didn't Try To Start Up Yet. No Title, Will Bill Of Sale. Serious Inquires Only Please. Asking for $4,750." = Non-running, no-title, out-of-state car being sold by a clueless crackhead seller. PASS. :(

if it has a Maryland '86 plate, why would it matter that it has the PA '81 inspection sticker?

The sad part is I want those wheels and who know what will happen to the car. Maybe I'll contact him, offer $300 for the wheels and give him the four scuzzy iron crosses on the 77.

It has two revolutions on it from my point of view. Two is all I can see, been there, done that, got only 3 matching wheels. :rolleyes:

Been seeing some high asking prices lately like this one for example: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1969-fiat-850-spider/6677400830.html and this (pretty but really?) https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-fiat-850-sport-coupe/6668753615.html I'm sittin on a gold mine people.
It would be hard to duplicate the Spider for that price, if you wanted a nice Spider, that one would be worth looking at. The coupe on the other hand looks like a Hail Mary pricing attempt. You never know, if you don't ask that much you are probably not going to get that much, but that's a LOT for that car.

Been seeing some high asking prices lately like this one for example: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d/1969-fiat-850-spider/6677400830.html

Hey, this is my old car! :D Chassis #100GBS0045944.

69spider2aa.JPG

I can tell it is by specific "early" parts I put on it (door panels, arm rests, dash grab handle, lowback seats, custom black carpet kit, clear front turn lenses) & other parts I deleted (sunvisors & bumper overriders). It still has the red/white "Mille Miglia" decal on the passenger-side lower corner of the windshield, but it looks like the "Bertone Club France" & "Abarth Campione Del Mondo" window decals, the early stainless-steel wiper arms & the vintage Talbot Jr. door mirror have gone awol since the repaint. Same for the firewall VIN tag in the engine bay, & the stock radiator fan & shroud. :(

Simpsons850.JPG

After 15+ years of me hearing "When are you gonna paint that thing?", it's nice to see it all spruced up & shiny (except that white pinstriping...WHY???). Sold it in 2008 to a friend-of-a-friend, who resold it shortly afterwards (ARGH). LOTS of So. Cal. 850 history in this car, including the old Rear Engine Fiat Club annual Furst Swapmeets:

850-spider.jpg

Last edited:
It would be hard to duplicate the Spider for that price, if you wanted a nice Spider, that one would be worth looking at.

I bought this car from a Wilmington, CA junkyard sales lot back in '92-'93. It was a barely-running basket-case of a car with the usual battery tray & front rocker panel corner rust spots, but had an otherwise SOLID no-rust floorpan & body (which is WHY I rescued it). It remained in solid condition the entire 15+ years I owned it, & I suspect it's been garaged since I sold it in late 2008. For someone looking to NOT have to deal with rust issues on an 850 Spider, from my perspective this is (still) a very good candidate. :)

Back