outer window scrapers

Is this cut per window or a total length? What is the total length needed on a car? Mine are definitely a good 1/2" short on all 4 windows.

In looking at the ad, it appears to be a roll & you have to cut it. They just said that it is a "set, for both sides." We ordered 2 "sets", so we will find out in a few weeks. We just threw out hats over the wall (since we couldn't find it elsewhere), but I am sure that they would clarify through an Ebay message or a phone call. Selling it in a roll would be less expensive for them as well as not having to deal with slight differences in cars after the customer gets them.

I also found a generic one that has the rubber and metal strip connected as a 8 foot or 10 foot (can't recall how long) stick. You can cut the pieces you need to length from it. Clips on just like the stock stuff. More than enough to do two complete cars, inside and outside wipers of both doors. About $30 per stick. It is made to restore old American cars. I'll have to see if I still have the actual model number (I got it from a restoration supply shop locally, so we just matched an original Fiat piece to the selection they carried). However it is a common item that any weatherseal supplier can get. I noticed RockAuto even carries it, but due to the length the shipping cost was crazy. To get the idea, look on their site under the "tools and universal" tab; "body"; "weatherstrip"; "belt weatherstrip/window scraper seal". This may not be it, but it was similar (just for an example image):
1181-2.7X3__ra_p.jpg

The white strip inside the vertical portion is a metal strap. That is how it attaches onto the edge on the door, with the Fiat clips (like the standard stuff does, on my '79 at least).

I also found a generic one that has the rubber and metal strip connected as a 8 foot or 10 foot (can't recall how long) stick. You can cut the pieces you need to length from it. Clips on just like the stock stuff. More than enough to do two complete cars, inside and outside wipers of both doors. About $30 per stick. It is made to restore old American cars. I'll have to see if I still have the actual model number (I got it from a restoration supply shop locally, so we just matched an original Fiat piece to the selection they carried). However it is a common item that any weatherseal supplier can get. I noticed RockAuto even carries it, but due to the length the shipping cost was crazy. To get the idea, look on their site under the "tools and universal" tab; "body"; "weatherstrip"; "belt weatherstrip/window scraper seal". This may not be it, but it was similar (just for an example image):
View attachment 15265

The white strip inside the vertical portion is a metal strap. That is how it attaches onto the edge on the door, with the Fiat clips (like the standard stuff does, on my '79 at least).

Jeff, if this works should add it to the wiki for sure.

I wish XWeb v3 would let me see all the articles I did a "like" on...

Darin, I'm still in the long, slow process of going through the car (as well as a couple others), so it may be awhile until I can show images of it installed. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the new strip along side the original one to give a better idea of what it is. I need to see if I have the exact model number for this particular weatherseal 'profile' also (there are several that are similar).
If we know the item number, I bet any body shop could get it for you. I'm sure they buy other supplies from companies that will carry this.

Good lead. I guess I need to check my X1/9s more closely, but I know I need the same scraper pieces for my 124 Sedan.

I need to clarify my earlier post, as it was poorly worded and misleading. Apology if I confused things.

I actually found two generic window scraper products in long sticks; the type like the example I posted above with the rubber wiper for the outer seal, and another type with a felt pad for the inner seal (see the image below). The inner felt one is a direct replacement for the stock stuff, but the outer rubber lip one is slightly different and may not satisfy everyone - look closely at your old wipers and the images first.

The two sticks combined (1 inner and 1 outer) are enough to do two cars (4 windows), and are around $30 per stick. So the total cost would be roughly $60 for 4 doors. If you only have one car then the extra material will be surplus because they only come in full length sticks. One option might be to use the same type (either the rubber or the felt) on both the inner and outer sides; it's not stock but it will work.

Unfortunately I could not get the specific product numbers due to buying it from a local supplier and not having a record of it. And they are rather buried in my storage so I wasn't able to take pictures, but the example I showed earlier is similar to the outer rubber one and the image below is similar to the inner felt one. It comes in an assortment of various dimensions. Just measure your old pieces and compare to the dimensions in the listings. I believe the "Fairchild" brand in these examples (on the RockAuto site) is the same brand I bought. Look for other sources including local suppliers to avoid the high shipping cost for long items like these.

0199-2.7X3__ra_p.jpg

View attachment 15265

Since the outer scraper is just rubber that slides into the metal molding (trim) channel (coated on my 87, chrome on all earlier, I think), I don't see how that would work. Perhaps for the inner felt.

Dallara_Paint00188.jpg

The sample I showed may not be the same one I found, I'm going from memory (which isn't a good idea).

WindowScraper,02.jpg
The stuff we ordered came in a week or so ago. It comes in 2 41" strips that you cut to fit. Attached photos show both the old & new stuff. The old stuff has the angle cut on the end. The profile is the same. The only difference is that the new stuff is 1/16" - 1/8" shorter (top to bottom) than the old stuff. As we are getting the car ready for paint, it will be awhile before we get it installed.
WindowScraper,01.jpg

Back