Progess on the 77X

Looks good Carl. Like the part about "drove her outside", opposed to how mine would read "pushed". Definitely a unique car with the custom side inlets. I'd consider lowering the stance a little for my taste, but it's a very nice car as it is.

Thanks doc. yes, sitting too high with KYB struts and "sport" springs....very odd.

On mine I'm finding that I'll have to decrease the suspension height a LOT to get it down where I want it. The remaining travel will be less than desired. And that's both front and rear; even though the nose starts out sitting higher (requiring more drop), the extra length of the rear struts means they leave little travel with less drop. But the only way around that is to do extensive modifications to the suspension pick-up points, mounts, struts, etc.

I remember some debate about the US spec vs Euro spec X1/9's ride height and suspension components. Although the US versions appear to be higher, there does not seem to be much evidence of different parts used on them.

Actually if you look at pics of most EU cars the rear is much higher than our cars.

I guess I could argue that the ride height on the 77 now is just perfect for driving in the DC area but it looks silly. Are the black KYBs gas struts and the gas is acting as a helper spring?

A long time ago KYBs for the X were high pressure gas and would lift it a little when they were new. But the ones sold for many years now (including the black ones) are not. So they won't lift the car any. They are the same ride height as the stock factory struts.

OK. I may take off the struts and compare to the ones that came on the car to see if the length is different.

Yea, they should be but why is the 77 sitting higher than it was with the stock struts and springs since the KYBs I installed had "sport" springs on them?

Although the "sport springs" might be a little shorter, they are stiffer and support more weight. The softer stock springs would sag more, resulting in a lower ride height. Also some "sport springs" are really not much shorter than stock. But as you say, there could be a difference in the strut housings also.

The next test for this car is to park it out on the driveway with the coming rain to see how waterproof it is. With the carpet out I'd rather find leaks now. My rat X always leaks when parked (I don't drive it in the rain) and there are nice puddles in the center of the driver and passenger floor. Probably coming in through the rusted out windshield surround and I'm too lazy to do anything about it since I don't use carpets and the bedliner floor just makes little lakes that I dry up.

Remove the windshield altogether and wear a helmet...although that may cause more rain problems as now I won't even have a targa top..but then I can just drill a lot of holes in the floor for drainage.

Funny you say that. Lately I've had visions of my 'outlaw X' with a short lexan windscreen, doors welded shut, to look something more like this:

Autobianchi_Runabout.jpg

Then modify the targa bar (no top) to look something more like this:

ferrari-p-mrrc-heures-du-mans-1526343235c4pl8.jpg

The notion of building a "roadster" project has been on my mind for many, many years. Somewhere on my harddrive is a collection of images, articles, notes, etc for various topless ideas; possibly "speed-humps" behind the occupants' heads (think early Porsche), windscreens that wrap all the way to the sides, even center seat driver position....lots of possibilities based on lots of car choices. The X wasn't one of my primary considerations for this, but with the 'outlaw X' hunk of crap landing in my hands (nice visual there) I might take advantage of it's worthlessness.

I'm too old to climb over a welded shut door! JD put his 124 vintage racer on the street and installed those cut little racing screens that were all the rage on old Brit cars but he and his wife still have to wear goggles to drive the car.

I'm too old to climb over a welded shut door!
Guess you'd have to keep a luggage rack on the trunk to carry a step ladder. :D

Those "Brookland" windscreens seem more appropriate on a older, more classic body style than the X's "modern" design. I can see them on the 124 Spider as you say, but not on a X. Not that you were suggesting them for the X, just say'n. ;)

Guess you'd have to keep a luggage rack on the trunk to carry a step ladder. :D

Those "Brookland" windscreens seem more appropriate on a older, more classic body style than the X's "modern" design. I can see them on the 124 Spider as you say, but not on a X. Not that you were suggesting them for the X, just say'n. ;)

The stepladder could be the luggage rack

Back