Beer tap shifter...

I got rid of mine when the car was sitting in the dealer show room in 1979. I went over to wrecked 128 and took the shifter ball from it and installed it in the car and it has been there ever since, yes it only shows 4 speeds forward as well.

TonyK.
Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I know that everyone makes fun of it, but I always liked it and plan to keep using it as Nuccio intended.

Were these on the ‘79 - ‘82 models? I had an ‘81 & ‘82, but the only pictures I have show a ball shift knob. I probably swapped them out.

Were these on the ‘79 - ‘82 models? I had an ‘81 & ‘82, but the only pictures I have show a ball shift knob. I probably swapped them out.
'79 was the first year for the beer tap. My '81 also had it.

Man, you guys are hard customers. Happily using mine to this day.
P3111336.JPG
P3111335.JPG

Sorry, off topic. I’ve been playing around with different shift knobs and steering wheels. I’ve always like the simple ball knob as it fits in the palm of the hand. But this cheapie handle style really works well on my ‘85
27208124-6DA6-4A58-BCD1-8859976828FD.jpeg

Bought a couple of these aluminum ball shift knobs that I really like too:
FAD749D6-AC52-4056-A279-E4671CD11F0F.jpeg

30F98007-C0CC-419A-A429-15E02A2F5848.jpeg

Anybody actually ever use one as beer tap
Let's think about that...
I understand the English like to drink their beer warm. And as we all know that's because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.
Going from that example.
I guess the reason Italians like to drink wine is because their beer tap handles are actually Fiat X1/9 shift handles, and therefore they broke off - preventing them from drinking beer.
It all makes sense.

Wow that was rough.

I hate with a passion the beer tap handle. I, like Tony, have replaced them with the plain spherical ball from a 124 (some of which have the correct 5 speed pattern).

It is the right size for your thumb and index finger to wrap around to shift, two fingers only as one should to keep the transmission in good shape. Anything more than the two fingers and you are likely shifting a different kind of stick altogether or imparting too much force and speed to the shifter, likely beating your syncros or causing other damage.

Last edited:
I wholly admit that I love the "futuristic supercar period". There were many great design/style exercises from that era...on production as well as concept vehicles. And the X certainly reflects some of those design features.

That being said, the "tap handle" shifter on the X isn't one of my favorites. If the overall length of the shift lever was short, as it is in the example pictured above by Greg, then yes. But not sticking up so far and being so obvious - the proportion just does not work for me. For a long stick like the X has, a smaller and less obvious knob fits better (aka the classic early Ferrari style). Perhaps if you could modify the console height and shifter boot shape to make the lever seem effectively much shorter, then it might look better with the "pub beer dispensary handle".

On the other hand, if it actually poured you a fresh cold beer while you were enjoying your drive, then yes by all means - give me two of them (I may want a different variety at times)! [just joking, I certainly do not endorse driving under the influence - I've worked on way too many victims that did]

View attachment 16907
That being said, the "tap handle" shifter on the X isn't one of my favorites. If the overall length of the shift lever was short, as it is in the example pictured above by Greg, then yes. But not sticking up so far and being so obvious - the proportion just does not work for me. For a long stick like the X has, a smaller and less obvious knob fits better (aka the classic early Ferrari style). Perhaps if you could modify the console height and shifter boot shape to make the lever seem effectively much shorter, then it might look better with the "pub beer dispensary handle".
Jeff, this is exactly what I was thinking. My first X was a 75'. The 1st year they came with the vinyl boot. I've always loved this look, and lamented that these were only offered for a few years before they switched to the newer style rectangular rubber boot. I'm not a fan of the beer tap either, and (IMHO) that "look" (despite perhaps being what some would call "period correct" for a 70's sports car) is worsened by the rubber boot. It never quite came together for me the way the older style did. As soon as I purchased Gianine, (my 79') I started the hunt for a suitable vinyl or leather boot to replace the half-assed one the PO had cobbled together from the torn base of the original rubber boot, and what looked to be an aftermarket vinyl sheath that someone may have used on an old beetle. My initial search turned up a thumbnail photo of the actual Fiat factory boot I so desperately wanted, but my hopes were quickly dashed when it was a dead link to the MWB website (which I had already scoured over unsuccessfully). I varied my search terms and checked google images "every night" for over a month and realized that these were "hen's teeth" and I would "never have a factory leather or vinyl boot . I resigned myself to having to either make my own (ala Craig Shepard) or find something similar enough to modify and fit. To make matters worse, the few boots I did find that looked like suitable substitutes (used or new) were all from very expensive or exclusive Italian marques of the era, and of course were ridiculously expensive! I was prepared to start cutting patterns and buy some material to sew one up, when I called Midwest to place a phone order for some parts. Matt answered and took my order. Before we hung up, I asked him if he knew of "anywhere" I could get a real X vinyl boot. He casually mentioned he thought he "might" have one or two still "laying around". He said would you like me to add that to your order? I "casually" said sure, why don't you just go ahead and do that. When I hung up the phone I felt like I'd just hit the lottery! Not only did he have it, it was NOS in the plastic wrapper!
Matt is the best!

This was not a straight swap. There was quite a bit of modification required to the console and I had to devise a method of attachment that was not going to come loose over time, be removable (if necessary) and look like a factory install.

Also, this is an interim step. I am also planning on losing the beer tap...changing the color of the shifter lever to chrome or silver, and installing a custom walnut knob. My goal is to have that classic look of a "proper" sports car of the late 60's early 70's. I'm almost there.
20181111_134241.jpg
20181111_134145.jpg
20181118_135929.jpg

Attachments

• 20181118_140041.jpg
    20181118_140041.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sorry, off topic. I’ve been playing around with different shift knobs and steering wheels
Sorry, getting a bit back on topic, but I'd really recommend the factory Bertone shifter that actually came on the late model X's. It's a cool little shifter that feels good in the palm, sits shorter than than 'Beer Tap' shifter. Also is gear neutral, so doesn't matter if you're 4 or 5 speed, just has the Bertone 'B' stamped on the top. Although the 'B' stamp is very light and sorta disappears with minor wear, have had to do a bit of creative re-stamping to try and keep it.

My goal is to have that classic look of a "proper" sports car of the late 60's early 70's. I'm almost there.
Looking good Tom.

Some time back I was looking online for shifter boot ideas and happened across an aftermarket item for the 500 model. Comes as a set for the shifter and hand brake in leather. Normally I don't go for multi-colors or flashy designs but for some reason it caught my eye. I doubt it will fit on the X (way too small overall), and it isn't cheap.
s-l500.jpg

Why not keep it in the family and use the shifter from an Alfa 147, a bit of a nod to 80's Ferrari's, and it also has gate marking for a 5 speed as per the X.
GearShifter.JPG

Last edited:
Back