CarBuzz - Hundreds Of Maseratis Destroyed By Massive Fire In Italy

Wow, that is quite a disaster. First they were flooded by storm sea water, which caused the batteries to explode, setting them all on fire. Funny the water didn't prevent so much fire from spreading like that. But I guess they were already ruined by the salt water flooding, so burning was more of a cremation after the fact. Looks like most of them were the SUV model.

Those "Maseratis" look surprisingly like the new 500L
It would not surprise me if they were just 'dressed up' versions of it. What's the saying: lipstick on a pig, purse from a pig's ear, polishing a turd, or something like that. There are so many cross branded vehicles these days. The ones from competitive car makers surprises me the most.

we had a terrible storm that stroke all the country from north to south.
We did not hear too much about it. There have been a couple bad ones in the US also, so our news is focused on them. Italy is relatively small, I can see how one storm could affect most of the country. Likely the neighboring countries also. Was there a lot of damage to big buildings, etc?

yes, mainly in Veneto (northeast of italy) lots of destruction, in Sicily (south) 12 peoples died in a water invaded house..

You can see the Masers in the background beyond the 500Ls which likely come into this port from the country of manufacture (500Ls are not made in Italy) waiting to be transported to other markets.

If you look at all the pics you can also see other makes were also involved, either used cars or people moving overseas cars.

Given how closely packed most cars are in these lots and how hot a burning car gets, there should be no surprise that if one goes a whole bunch are going to go. A fully involved car fire is a difficult thing to deal with especially if there is any magnesium involved which on some cars can be quite a bit to reduce weight.

Many years ago I had a car burn down on the side of a remote road. When it started I used the extinguisher I had but it wasn't enough to stop it. What kind of surprised me was how long it took for the fire to evolve into a fully engulfed burning vehicle. Nothing I could do but watch it, but if it had been closer to any rescue/fire services I think it could have been extinguished long before it got to that point. Seems a place like a shipping port would have emergency services that might be able to control such an event before it went that far? But didn't the report say something about it took 5 firemen to put it out (or something like that)? Sounds like very few responders.

Back