128 coupe front seats swap?

ghostdancing

True Classic
i was wondering if there are bolt-on swap options for the front seats: maebe x1\9 or 124 coupe\sedan\spider seats can fit the 128 rails with no mods necessity?

GEDC0842.JPG
Its been a while but I recall the 128 sedan seats are a bit raised so X1/9 124 Coupe/ Spider seats would probably sit too low. Being in Italy have you considered maybe the Punto seats? I would think they should fit and should relatively easy to find. On the downside they may not be vintage enough. Here in the states Yugo seats were probably the closes to the original but they are hard to find now days. In my Strada I went with some inexpensive after market racing style seats, but the car has a some what rally them with lights, flairs, and eventually stickers so the seats don't look out of place.

hi Kevin, it's a nice blue sedan there! my car is a coupe: i was wondering if there are any seats that can fit my original rails without necessity of fabrication..and yes, they must be vintage style..probably the 128 sedan are the only compatible with my rails?

I put early Miata seats in my 128 SL. The styling is a perfect match to the car and Miata seats are very comfortable. This was many years ago and I don't remember what I had to do to get them attached to the 128 seat base but at most it involved some angle iron adaptors with no welding or fancy machining. Did the same thing to my 128 wagon and if you contact Chris Granju who has the wagon now he might be able to send you pictures of what I did in the wagon.

the mazda is not so popular here..not easy nor cheap to found mx5 seats; Carl do you remember if the 128 sedan\coupe shares the same seat rails? i figure maebe also the 124 (sedan\coupe?) had compatible rails?

Early X1/9 seats slide right in, and, work well in a 128 coupe.

I now own a 128 wagon (same as coupe / sedan seats), and don't think those seats they would work so well in a coupe.

View attachment 16572 Its been a while but I recall the 128 sedan seats are a bit raised so X1/9 124 Coupe/ Spider seats would probably sit too low. Being in Italy have you considered maybe the Punto seats? I would think they should fit and should relatively easy to find. On the downside they may not be vintage enough. Here in the states Yugo seats were probably the closes to the original but they are hard to find now days. In my Strada I went with some inexpensive after market racing style seats, but the car has a some what rally them with lights, flairs, and eventually stickers so the seats don't look out of place.

Hi Kevin, can you start a new thread showing us your souped up Strada?...thanks!!

are the early X1\9 seats "tilting back"? i need this to get access to the rear bench..

Late X seats (and I'm sure early ones also) tilt forward to allow access to the spare tire (stowed behind the passenger seat). They hinge at the rear of the seat, not at the front like 128 sedans.

i was wondering if there are bolt-on swap options for the front seats: maebe x1\9 or 124 coupe\sedan\spider seats can fit the 128 rails with no mods necessity?

I measured the bolt spacing on the seat mount platforms (floor of the car) of 124 sedan, 128 SL coupe, and 128 sedan - they are all different. I suspect the tracks on the seat pans are similar (only my 128 sedan has original seats so I couldn't measure others). Seems like X seats are your best option for direct fit. They certainly look the most similar.

Hi Kevin, can you start a new thread showing us your souped up Strada?...thanks!!
Hey Karfrik I will post a brief new thread with some more pictures, sadly I have made little progress since I last posted. I did crank the motor, and get all of the hoses to install the new carb, more to follow.

Back