500 Abarth at salvage auction in Hamilton

Tony might be interested in this one!
Well looking into this I would have to be a licenced business dealer or non dealer. A $200 bidding pass must be purchased and for non licenced public buyers provincial law limits where a vehicle can be purchased to Vancouver Edmonton and Calgary. If you think South Carolina is far, think about driving to Calgary. I would imagine that the car has lots of rust on it compared to the car I purchased from South Carolina. The bottom of this car is clean and it is a 2012 with 60,000 KM.

TonyK
Grimsby Ontario Canada.

IMG_0532.JPG

Well, yes you are correct of course. But if you really wanted it, i'm sure you could find a dealer registered with them to bid and buy on your behalf, just like you did on the Abarth you just bought in the US. And this one is probably only 1/2 hour from you.

The strange thing is that I have noticed that - at least on the Copart auctions - similar vehicles seem to sell for WAY less up here in Canada than in the US. Not sure why.

Would be interesting to see what this one goes for. On Copart auctions you can watch the auction live. Not so with Impact. But you can register with them for free and get "voyeur" status to view - but not bid - the auction.

Cars like this are difficult to predict. If they are not repairable it is usually fairly predictable what they will sell for. This one would seem to me to be re-build-able. Damage does not appear to be that bad. Although it does give a repair estimate of $11.6 K. Which to me would be more than the value of it. I would think that repaired with a salvage title you would be lucky to get $10 K for it - hope that does not insult or offend you Myron LOL.....

Say some chop shop buys it to fix it and flip it. Say they could fix it for maybe $6 K - half of estimate. They would want to make say $2K on the deal. So could only bid maybe $2K or so on the car.

So....my best guess is that it hammers for $2400. What is your prediction ?

I would think that repaired with a salvage title you would be lucky to get $10 K for it - hope that does not insult or offend you Myron LOL.....

hahah! nah, I never get offended! To be honest, the market isn't great for these as a used car. So they sell cheap! I paid $7900 for mine from a Toyota dealer (came in on trade, loaded with 17's but no beats sub), although mine had higher mileage. I could have talked them down even more, they wanted to move it fast. Bah! (they originally wanted $10K, they PAID $6500 for it on trade with 120K kms).

I'd say that you're right on your price assessment - it's gonna go for ~$2400. I met a guy last year who bought a 2015 that was lightly hit. He paid $5K for his, low mileage but fully loaded (with 17"s). He put in about $2500 fixing it up and he loves it!

For $2400 - this would make a great purchase for someone doing a Tony K transplant into an X1/9 :) - Doug, YOU NEED THIS!! heheh. Hope to see you again soon!

Oh, and if Tony parts out the Abarth he has now - I want the control arms, and lots of other bits that always fail on these, lol..

BTW: TOny, it looks like gear lube under the trans. Am I wrong? Apparently these leak from the case at the flange. Mine isn't - but input shaft is :(

In talking to LKQ workers they informed me that they need to see $2500 over the cost of the purchase price of the car. Once that has been obtained they move the remainder out fairly quickly. I would say that between $2,000 to $3000 would be fair, as there is still auction fees and title fees to be paid as well.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

hahah! nah, I never get offended! To be honest, the market isn't great for these as a used car. So they sell cheap! I paid $7900 for mine from a Toyota dealer (came in on trade, loaded with 17's but no beats sub), although mine had higher mileage. I could have talked them down even more, they wanted to move it fast. Bah! (they originally wanted $10K, they PAID $6500 for it on trade with 120K kms).

I'd say that you're right on your price assessment - it's gonna go for ~$2400. I met a guy last year who bought a 2015 that was lightly hit. He paid $5K for his, low mileage but fully loaded (with 17"s). He put in about $2500 fixing it up and he loves it!

For $2400 - this would make a great purchase for someone doing a Tony K transplant into an X1/9 :) - Doug, YOU NEED THIS!! heheh. Hope to see you again soon!

Oh, and if Tony parts out the Abarth he has now - I want the control arms, and lots of other bits that always fail on these, lol..

BTW: TOny, it looks like gear lube under the trans. Am I wrong? Apparently these leak from the case at the flange. Mine isn't - but input shaft is :(

There was a bit of oil on the engine due to the oil cooler being crushed. I found an oil cooler on ebay for $37. Currently the car has been sitting in the same spot for 2 weeks and nothing has dripped from the engine or transmission. I had to split the case on the transmission in my car and used red high temp silicone to seal the box back together, no leaks yet and that has been a couple of years.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back