Ah one day. The nightmare awaits.

Eugene Harvey

True Classic
Quietly lurking in the garage is my project for which I see many, many hours of swearing and skinned knuckles. Looks are deceiving, brakes are all shot (seized, common trait for Alfas left standing), petrol tank shot, engine untouched for 17 years, yay, and who knows what state the coolant system is in, rust to remove around rear hatch. Front tyres only look in good nick as were the cheapest I could buy to move the car as the originals were shot......one day...
AlfaGTV6.JPG

Looks good in the photo. My '87 X was in a similar state -- brakes frozen, clutch seized, decades old fuel, etc. But there is something very rewarding about bringing a neglected motor back to life. Good luck.

Good luck
Thanks for the encouragement. Not looking forward to the rear brakes though, thanks to their 'wonderful' inboard design. All due to the GTV employing a setup where the gearbox is mounted in the rear, along with the battery to achieve a better weight distribution. Great for balance but an arse for shifting due to the long linkage. Shifts had to be slow and precise. Hopefully the engine won't be too bad as it was running before being abandoned, when the brakes started to seize and didn't have the time to overhaul them 17 years ago. This is also an '87.

Nice find, mate!! We don't see many of those babies down here in our "neck of the woods"! No doubt you will have lots of "fun" giving new life to that li'l honey! :rolleyes:

cheers, IanL - Kapiti, NZ

i am sure you aware of alfabb.com
Thanks, good to know, sure it will come in handy. Probably be starting with getting it running as damn thing weighs a ton and not much fun pushing around! So fuel system, coolant system and cambelt, then hope for the best. Doing the cambelt and cooling system will require pulling enough stuff off and turning things to see whats up. From memory, mileage is around 70,000km.

We don't see many of those babies
No we don't. Couple for sale at the moment and for a lot more than I paid many years ago. Even rarer are the X1/9's, only seen one come up this year which didn't sell. Something to be said for the Italian Style gurus of the 70's & 80's, Giugiaro, Bertone, Zagato and of course Pininfarina. They brought some of the most stunning designs that were real statements.

Last edited:
First stop the Hardware store for 1/2 a dozen cans of CRC Penetr8 Hi Speed Penetrant. (sort of WD40 equivalent down under).

Thanks, good to know, sure it will come in handy. Probably be starting with getting it running as damn thing weighs a ton and not much fun pushing around! So fuel system, coolant system and cambelt, then hope for the best. Doing the cambelt and cooling system will require pulling enough stuff off and turning things to see whats up. From memory, mileage is around 70,000km.

yes...i have a 69 alfa spider and i could not keep it on the road without alfabb.com
that is a very active board with daily and even hourly posts

here's a link with the thread for gtv6....lot of nice folks on that site that will save you a ton of time...kinda like the nice folks on this board with x19s...be sure to send post a pic on your car there...they will love it!

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/

here is a method for seized brakes on an alfetta

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1972-1986/502385-alfetta-rear-brakes-locked-up.html

Last edited:
Time to open up the time capsule and see what's what, and things are looking OK inside. Checked the speedo and it's 67 so memory wasn't too bad. All seats are in great nick, jumped in and bolsters are all firm, carpet good, dash pretty good, just a bit of superficial cracking on one corner. Tempted to put in battery and see what lights up. Body work solid, just superficial spot rusting, simple wire brush and filler, except on top rear hatch mount. Looking like it's going to pretty much be a mechanical job, so started spraying Penetr8 around as many fixing as possible in preparation to pulling things to pieces.
Opened the rear hatch to find strut is going to need regasing as nothing there. Added to the ever growing list. Time to stop looking.
FrontSeats.JPG
Dash.JPG

Last edited:
Back