850 Spider Hardtop Bracket

Mark

FIATFREAK
Does Anyone know if the factory 850 Spider hardtops came with different mounting hardware throughout the years? My ‘68 came new with both tops and used two of these brackets at the windshield to install the hard top:
59531751-2551-41CF-9DF0-689D97BA30C4.jpeg

The only info I’ve been able to find shows a hard top that uses the soft top latch. Here’s a comparison of the two setups:
FCC6CBF9-AA63-4B51-A492-63C095CE17CE.jpeg

They’re not interchangeable because the hole orientation at the hard top is different.

I’m looking to install the hard top but only have one of the two brackets and it’s broken. Does anyone have experience with this?

Hi - I use soft top latches on my factory hard top. I had to fashion some small plates which were then mounted behind the sheet metal where the factor mount was, and screwed the soft top latches to that. A little bit of bondo camouflaged the changes. I can send a pic of it if you wish. Best, Loren

I picture would be great! Thanks. Not sure where the bondo was used.

Hi - I use soft top latches on my factory hard top. I had to fashion some small plates which were then mounted behind the sheet metal where the factor mount was, and screwed the soft top latches to that. A little bit of bondo camouflaged the changes. I can send a pic of it if you wish. Best, Loren

Another option would be to replicate your bracket. It’s not too complex and could probably be made from aluminum.

Pic is below.... had to cut the metal to be able to get the little plates I made behind the sheet metal of the top (ie where the original bracket was mounted). You can see the two Phillips head screws that are holding that piece in place (bondo was used to camouflage the hole needed to fit the little plates in. I got some headliner material from a local shop and glued it to the top (my head would not clear the headliner if I used the original bows to replace it). The advantage of using the soft top latches is that you do not have to remove or replace the little female pieces on the windshield frame when switching from hard top to soft top to hard top. Let me know if you need more pics. Best, Loren

20181124_120619.jpg

Thank you for the picture. I attempted to access the area but the weatherstripping, trim and headliner all have to be removed first. I’m only installing the top for shipment with the car, so I guess the rear mounts will have to suffice.

They should hold fine - if it will be in a breeze (ie if it is being trailered) might want to load it backwards so the wind can't catch it (and so water is less likely to get in). Best, ljf

New brackets can be fabricated using ~1/8" flat steel & a pattern traced from the original bracket (the bracket for the other side is just a mirror image). A saw, a drill & a grinder are all you really need - nothing fancy. The tricky part is getting the bend just right - it takes a little trial & error fitment. I've made them in the past for Spiders I owned with hardtops that were missing a bracket (or 2). Finished off with either black or aluminum-colored paint, they looked ok & did their job. ;)

I can’t seem to locate the blind plates the screws thread into and I don’t want to remove the headliner at this point. The car is getting shipped across country, so I’ll wait and see what type of transportation the buyer has arranged. Hopefully an enclosed trailer so it won’t be an issue if the top isn’t totally secured down.

New brackets can be fabricated using ~1/8" flat steel & a pattern traced from the original bracket (the bracket for the other side is just a mirror image). A saw, a drill & a grinder are all you really need - nothing fancy. The tricky part is getting the bend just right - it takes a little trial & error fitment. I've made them in the past for Spiders I owned with hardtops that were missing a bracket (or 2). Finished off with either black or aluminum-colored paint, they looked ok & did their job. ;)

Does Anyone know if the factory 850 Spider hardtops came with different mounting hardware throughout the years?

For the factory steel hardtop, there was only the one type of bracket you've shown (a left & a right).

The only info I’ve been able to find shows a hard top that uses the soft top latch.

Most of the period aftermarket fiberglass hardtops I've seen used the factory convertible top latches.

I can’t seem to locate the blind plates the screws thread into and I don’t want to remove the headliner at this point.

With the hardtop already fitted in place on the car, mount the single (broken) bracket you have onto the interior windshield frame using the 2 lower (vertical) bolt holes in the bracket. This should line things up close enough for you to find the holes in the hardtop using the upper bracket holes as "view-finders".

Sometimes the receiver plate (inside the hardtop) will be a little loose & shift around a bit, making it difficult to find the bolt holes at first. Using the tip of a nail, awl or punch to locate one of the bolt-holes in the receiver plate can make things easier. Once found, you can slide the plate over to line up better with the bracket hole, then install one of the mounting bolts (leaving it loose). Repeat the process for the other bolt, then tighten both bolts all the way.

and for shipping you might consider wraping something around it (shrink wrap around the entire car) or a motor cycles strap. something to keep it in place (some times shipers will pick up with nice gear and then transfer to a larger truck.

Thanks. I was hoping that once I installed it I’d be able to find the plate; assuming it’s not totally dislodged under the headliner.

With the hardtop already fitted in place on the car, mount the single (broken) bracket you have onto the interior windshield frame using the 2 lower (vertical) bolt holes in the bracket. This should line things up close enough for you to find the holes in the hardtop using the upper bracket holes as "view-finders".

Sometimes the receiver plate (inside the hardtop) will be a little loose & shift around a bit, making it difficult to find the bolt holes at first. Using the tip of a nail, awl or punch to locate one of the bolt-holes in the receiver plate can make things easier. Once found, you can slide the plate over to line up better with the bracket hole, then install one of the mounting bolts (leaving it loose). Repeat the process for the other bolt, then tighten both bolts all the way.

Back