Toyota powered X1/9 with custom full leather interior

bruakeman

True Classic
Time has come to let this project go. I've had it about 7 years and just never have really delved into it. I was told this car's build was documented in Grassroot Motorsports but I have not seen that. When I bought it from the builder it was barely running on way old gas and had a bad transmission. I did source a new, better year MR2 trans for it, but never installed. I drained the gas, pulled the plugs and sprayed some storage lube/coat into the engine and put it into dry storage, and here we are now.
What I want to do is have a sealed bid type of auction. I hope this is allowed as I'm not posting a sales price. I will accept offers till end of Weds next week. High offer gets it.
In short here's what we have, I will gladly go into details privately via phone or emails.

1978 X, solid body, truly no real rot. Some surface rust where the paint has failed or where there was previous dent repair on the driver's door. Hail damage on all top body surfaces.
MR2 gen. 1 engine and trans. Engine cranks with even sounding compression as of a week ago.
Most lights worked but headlights would not pop up. Heater fan ran.
Entire interior was custom redone in Italian leather, it is nice. I mean pretty much all of it, door cards, dash, console, etc. Seats are MR2 I think, redone (?) in the same leather. WOW!
Supposedly an award wining stereo which I could not get to function, but see the guts in the frunk. Custom bass box ducted into the front cabin. Other speakers nicely integrated in the cabin.
Big project with super potential. I do have the title.

Doug 937 231 0193

Is the engine the N/A or supercharged variant? Also, is it the 16 valve or 20 valve variant? Looks really cool!

Is the engine the N/A or supercharged variant? Also, is it the 16 valve or 20 valve variant? Looks really cool!

It is not supercharged. I believe it's 16 valve. Embarrassed to say I'm not sure.
That driver side rust spot is just that. It is on the surface, not the common rust out from within. No other rust around the windshield.

I'd like to offer this here to this group in the format I listed. If I must list a price, OK,
$10,000 OR BEST OFFER

If you don't want me to silent auction this here, more or less, as I asked, then delete this thread and I'll use ebay or BAT. I'd prefer to sell it here, someone might get a great project at a great price.

PLEASE SEND OFFERS PRIVATELY I have many more photos I also have some left over paint. It is AMC Pacific Blue.

Car is in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

Last edited:
Xweb is not an auction site. Since you have been a member from 2009, you probably already knew that.

Just a friendly suggestion. If you truly wish to see a Xweb member buy it, then perhaps just cut to the chase and name your lowest 'real' price. I'm sure someone will be interested if you are realistic. But $10K isn't going to happen, not to a site full of people that know the true value of these cars. My intentions are genuine, I'd like to see it go to someone here that can properly finish it and enjoy it for what it is. ;)

I thought of this as a Christmas treat of sorts for this group of enthusiast. Yes I know this car is not worth anywhere near $10k. You know we have "dibs" protocol and any variety of offerings and barters going on. What's so unreal about asking for offers?

So moderators, let this run or end it now?

Well you specified a price and that it was OBO, so why not wait and see what the best offer is . . . If I didn't already have an X, I'd be tempted to submit an offer knowing the reliability and potential that engine has.

Having been away from Fiats for some time I did learn a few things about this family of Toyota engines. My 2008 Lotus Elise SC (supercharged) with the family (interchangeable almost so don't detail pick please) 2ZZGE engine pumped 240 HP and reved to 8500 without an intercooler. Look up "Ronin Lotus" on Facebook and you'll see the same motor pumped to 700+ HP at around 1450 lbs weight, yes, really). Ronin was presented in various body configurations as the owner had difficulty keeping it on the road. I offered $33,000 after the last altercation but was declined. Point is this car/engine has incredible potential if you want to go faster than you probably should!

Frank or anyone might help with this. Awhile back one of our members mentioned the Toyota MR2 engine as a potential for a X swap. He has a MR2 autocross race car and knows the engines well. After reading his comments I took a quick look online to see what they go for. Seems like there are a couple versions of them. The impression I got was the 1.6L 16-valve non-turbo was the least desirable and could be purchased rather inexpensively. On the other hand the larger version (2.0?) with 4-valves per cyl and a turbo was a bit pricey. I have to assume there must be a fairly vast difference between the MR2 engines for the selling values to be so far apart? It somewhat reminds me of the resell values between the Honda B and K engines.

under.jpg Hey everyone, just to clear the air, I am not expecting to get $10k for this car or anything close to that. My intention is to offer this up at the beginning of winter as a fantastic project car to whomever might see the potential here. PLEASE don't hesitate to make any offer, I will not be offended.

This is a solid car.

And I have many more photos if interested.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back