When you step in front of the bus

carl

True Classic
A term my 96 year old mother uses for finishing your time here on earth. Many of us are of a certain age and many is the time me and my local Fiat buddies have discussed what our wife would do when we pass on. If this is too creepy a discussion we can shut it down but whenever such a discussion is held we flavor it with mostly humor. One friend with at least three Fiats informed me he has signed all the titles so sale of the cars is easy. But he has enough spare parts to probably make MWB blush so who handles those? We all assume our wife would contact our Fiat buddies and ask for help disposing our Fiat items and I have actually helped with a guy who passed on many years ago after such a request was made. I told my wife and mother last night that none of my stuff was really worth a ton of money and they could get the kids to put it all out at the curb for trash day...including the three Fiats!

I suppose a written statement with specific instructions would make the most sense. In my family of three siblings and four children, my younger brother is the only one who is a car enthusiast and I suppose he should at least get all my tools. My kids have no idea what end of a screwdriver to hold.

Many of you are likewise surrounded by hobby cars, parts and tools and I wonder what your thinking is and by all means the funnier the better. Maybe I'll learn something.

It's a good idea to be thinking ahead like this. I have a shop full of machine tools (lathe, Bridgeport, lots of tooling for them both, welders, plasma cutter, OA torch, loads of tools of all kinds, etc.). My wife would not have a clue what the tools do or what they are worth, and would be nothing but a burden to her in the event I died.

A few months ago, my nephew was in the shop with me for a bit. He just finished an engineering degree, and I saw him looking at the machine tools. He said something to the effect of "someday I will have a shop like this". At that moment I figured out what to do with the tools. I changed my will so that all that stuff goes to him, along with a generous amount of cash so he can get it transported and set up in a new location.

I think it's key to put this stuff in writing, specifically in a will. That way there can be no question who will get what.

Pete

Carl,
Always a subject none of us like to discuss but a necessity. My wife would not know what to do with all my parts and tools and stuff. I need to I need to introduce her to my friends here on the Xweb. A least she would be able to find great homes for the Fiat/Bertone parts and Gary’s X. Then maybe all of my tools.
That would be just a few more things she would not have to worry about if and when something happens to me.
Thanks Carl... something I have been putting off doing that I really need to do.
Mike

I went through this not long ago when my dad passed. As for the cars, you can fill out a "in the event of death" form with the DMV. That makes the titles automatically transfer to whomever you specify on the forms. Easy and exempts it from Government estate taxation. You can do a similar thing in your will for more valuable equipment, also avoiding probate taxes.

As for all of the car related crap that we tend to collect. My dad left behind a ton of stuff piled up all over the property. Oddly the garage was full (literally) with what I call trash; empty cardboard boxes, empty plastic containers from various household products, stacks of old newspapers, scraps of wood, etc, etc. And the more valuable (relatively speaking) stuff like shop equipment, tools, usable automotive components, collectables, etc, was left outside unprotected from the elements for decades. Naturally it was all completely ruined by the time I discovered things. So everything went to the dump. Shame really, but that was the nature of my dad. Hopefully this will help us to think ahead a little. If there is anything you feel is of value, then assign it to someone specific to deal with (in writing as Pete said). Otherwise your wife, kids, or whomever will likely do what I did and just toss everything. Trust me, this is something they will not want to deal with when the time comes; the loss of you will be heavy on their minds, and thoughts of how to properly distribute your possessions will not be.

I just purchased most of a friend's estate. Truckloads of car parts. Old guy was too stubborn to sell it even when he knew he had borrowed time. Now his wife and others are left working their butts off for pennies. Plan ahead! Be specific in your final wishes, and don't pretend you can take it with you.

I think written instructions along with a list of whom to talk to is a good idea. An online spreadsheet would allow for easy updating. Also tell your heirs that you have a list and update the list at least once a year.

A term my 96 year old mother uses for finishing your time here on earth. Many of us are of a certain age and many is the time me and my local Fiat buddies have discussed what our wife would do when we pass on. If this is too creepy a discussion we can shut it down but whenever such a discussion is held we flavor it with mostly humor. One friend with at least three Fiats informed me he has signed all the titles so sale of the cars is easy. But he has enough spare parts to probably make MWB blush so who handles those? We all assume our wife would contact our Fiat buddies and ask for help disposing our Fiat items and I have actually helped with a guy who passed on many years ago after such a request was made. I told my wife and mother last night that none of my stuff was really worth a ton of money and they could get the kids to put it all out at the curb for trash day...including the three Fiats!

I suppose a written statement with specific instructions would make the most sense. In my family of three siblings and four children, my younger brother is the only one who is a car enthusiast and I suppose he should at least get all my tools. My kids have no idea what end of a screwdriver to hold.

Many of you are likewise surrounded by hobby cars, parts and tools and I wonder what your thinking is and by all means the funnier the better. Maybe I'll learn something.
I've had the same thoughts. I really don't care what happens to all my crap when I'm gone, but I don't want it to become a burden either. I've talked about what to do with my Fiat treasures, mostly who to call and offer it to. Cheap. For the stuff that no one wants to haul away, it goes in the dumpster. I figure that if any of it has any value "someone" will take it and it will then become available to others to help keep their cars running. The rest, well the rest is probably worthless so no problem.
Thanks for the comments about signing titles, I will have to look into that. That would help to ease the burden tremendously.
I am getting to the point where I am seriously considering "downsizing" in the not too distant future. I have bitten off more than I will soon care to chew, or will be able to chew. I figure 10 years at best. I currently work to improve and maintain about 10 acres of land with many mature hardwood trees, lots of "yard", and a fishing pond. It's a lot of work and I'm too cheap to pay someone to do the work for me. And I don't even like yard work - yuk! When it's time to retire from that work I plan to sell this property. When I sell I'll loose my garage and storage building so most of my cars, tools, and all of my parts are going to have to go - someplace. Because I realize that, I hope to start divesting myself before that happens. Of course I'm still actively perusing new treasures. I must be crazy. (I drug home a new LT4 crate engine for my Camaro today...) If I go before I leave this place I'll bet the dumpster will leave here filled with lots of good stuff. Maybe we should start an obituary watch? When a member dies (or just throws in the towel) everyone is encouraged to show up at the designated location with a car trailer (or semi trailer) to haul treasures off before it becomes landfill.

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

~Mark Twain

I guess I am lucky in that my son is a decent mechanic and has already put in a request for my '79 and all of my tools. He learned to drive in it and so it has a special place in his memories. I also let him and his new bride drive it to their hotel after their wedding that they had in our back yard a couple of summers ago.

Carl, you know what my wife will do. Call, okay text, you, Walter, and John to come and get all the boxes of parts in the warehouse. DCFiats will have tech day to get rid of everything else.

What John going to do with the garage stash is too overwhelming to even think about. I assume something like Damon's wife. Asked for any bid and than contact the club to help move everything.

I'm very happy with your responses as I felt maybe I had overstepped the bounds of good taste on my post. Maybe we should all just leave a MWB business card stapled to our wills with a written comment "tell Matt he can have everything, no charge".

I think whatever you personally plan, having it in writing is the most important thing...or instructions on how to hire a dumpster.

I'm very happy with your responses as I felt maybe I had overstepped the bounds of good taste on my post. .
This problem is real for most of us. Many of us have dealt with our parents "important treasures" that had to be disposed of. My parents left no instructions other than to tell me that the "treasures" are valuable. Like my horde of Fiat parts, value is in the eye of the owner not the buyer in most cases.

Jeff, I'm aware of this tasteless forum but hope springs eternal.
On a happier note I confirmed yesterday that the rat X has a bad or missing steering rack bushing!

Well, on a more practical note, I'd simply photograph everything worth selling and catalog with year and description. maybe bundle boxes of bits (brake bits, engine bits, trim bits) and have a folder setup on your PC called Ebay, and just tell them to dump it on Ebay, all as $1 auctions, cash only, and buyer must pickup, with instructions to simply chuck it all on EBay. At least that keeps the parts in circulation as opposed to going to the scrap yard or land fill.

Back