steering idler arm

vircar

original owner
i have an 80 spider the car has been sitting for 15 years, it seems the idler arm is making a loud noise every time i turn the wheels to the left or right. i took off the nut that is on top of the idler arm assembly and sprayed some wd40 in it. it seem to relieve the noise a bit .My question is this does the assembly need to be filled with oil and if so what kind of oil do i use.

The answer is yes, it needs to be filled with oil. But, the oil that the factory put in there is not in there for a reason.The oil that you put in there will likely leak past the same failed seal (or lack thereof) that the factory stuff did. Vendors sell replacements that don't have the oil (which is intended to dampen the steering - much like a shock absorber). They seem to be well received.
You can also replace the oil that the factory put in there with grease. The grease will provide lubrication and likely not leak out as fast as the oil. Some folks have gone so far as to modify the idler to accept an effective seal to keep the oil in the idler. Lots of options, and in depth discussion at mirfiori.com. I highly recommend you search for and review the subject there.

looks like I am heading to that discussion as well. mine froze up and broke on my 78, so going to be looking for a replacement.

Odie

If memory serves, the oil filled idlers functioned like a lever shock absorber.
3E1F4112-D8B6-46EE-A9F2-972435473A8F.jpeg

The newer replacements work off friction between rubber bushings.

I’m pretty sure these Lada ones work:

32FF105F-A99C-4A35-B404-0DEBBC79FA88.jpeg

i have an 80 spider the car has been sitting for 15 years, it seems the idler arm is making a loud noise every time i turn the wheels to the left or right. i took off the nut that is on top of the idler arm assembly and sprayed some wd40 in it. it seem to relieve the noise a bit .My question is this does the assembly need to be filled with oil and if so what kind of oil do i use.

Back