Toyota powered X1/9 with custom full leather interior

I am in love with that interior.
Yeah the mix of early dash with late instrument panel trimmed in Ferrari-esque saddle colored leather is very appealing! Seats are intriguing, too. Have a chunky late 80s-early 90s look to them, curious as to what they are from.****

***Just noticed that OP stated he thinks they are also from an MR2. Google agrees they are first gen MR2 seats, but redone to match the rest of the interior.

FWIW I had some communication with the builder of this car, as I've been wanting to do something similar. (My 74 and 80 X's were followed by an 85 MR2, so I'm familiar with both.) The drivetrain here is straight out of the Mk1 MR2 - the engine is the 1st generation of the 4age, 16v at 112hp. The trans is the C50 I believe, which was known to develop an issue or two, which may explain the current situation here. The builder kept the X 1300 rear hubs, and spliced the MR axles into the Fiat axles. My thought would be to use the 1500 hubs, and re-spline the Toyota axles, as I believe Matt does with the K20. Also - and you can just see it in the pics - he cut out the rear top crossmember to clear the intake manifold. I don't believe a replacement cross bar was fitted. I think this issue could be avoided by using ITB's from the 20v 4age. The 2nd generation of the 16v made 130hp; the 20v 160 then 165hp. Member Gerard in Australia put a 160 20v into his X, in his video it looks like good snarky fun:

The replacement transmission I bought is a later variant that is known to not develop these shifting issues. It should be a direct fit to what is there now..

The progression of engines in this group were the three early versions of the 4AGE which offered very similar performance and then the fourth generation Silvertop and Blacktop. The early blue and red top had relatively minor differences internally with the Silver and Black having significant internal and external differences along with much more power going from 112 hp to the later engines 160+ hp depending on version. They all have similar dimensions with some external differences with some of the most significant visual differences being in the intake systems. Early units used our familiar vane type AFM and later engines used MAP based systems which enabled notable improvements in perforamance.

These engines were supplanted by the ZZ family and the significantly better 2ZZ engines which can output 180+ hp using a Yamaha developed cylinder head with other internal modications to the aluminum ZZ block.

I am most interested in the 2ZZ-GE engines which can be had with a 6 speed manual and better packaging as well as lighter weight.

That all said, a primarily sorted, installed 4AGE, converted X1/9 would be a significant upgrade and therefore this would be a great buy.

My wife would kill me and hide the body, likely in the trunk of the car and have it crushed...

The first gen. MR2 is so similar in basics to the X that I wonder what you gain by putting the MR2 motor in an X as opposed to just owning an MR2.
Yes, I know even 112 hp in an X would be a wonderful thing, inquiring minds just want to know.

This is more just a discussion question, not a reason to send me hate mail.

Before I decided I was too old and too slow in my Lotus I considered installing the Toyota V-6 in my Lotus. Lotus did in their track version. The MR2 5 speed turbo trans I understand is bulletproof. The V-6 would give about 450 HP in Lotus tune with little weight penalty. Supercharging kits are cheap as the base motor in Japan goes in a bread truck with a supercharger, figure! As to the cost of the various 4 cylinder versions the 1.8 2ZZGE from the Toyota Corolla XRS is the best version for value. Lotus chose it to modify. Just don't say Lotus as the price suddenly jumps through the roof. Again, this X with the MR2 motor has great potential.

Karl, thanks for the info. I guess it was between the earlier MR2 engines and the later "improved" versions that I saw a vast price difference on the used engine market (like double the cost). By the way, missed you lately, where have you been? I've been posting extra to try and fill in for you, but I just don't have the same value of content to offer. Get back on here so I can take a break! :D

Frank, when I took a brief look at engine/trans prices I was looking under "MR2". Perhaps a much better deal is to had under the "Corolla" name as you say. But do they have a different shifter arrangement due to being front vs mid engine? Seems that would make them more difficult to install in a X?

Not that I have any intentions of doing a engine swap at all, but it is fun to talk about it. ;)

Karl, thanks for the info. I guess it was between the earlier MR2 engines and the later "improved" versions that I saw a vast price difference on the used engine market (like double the cost). By the way, missed you lately, where have you been? I've been posting extra to try and fill in for you, but I just don't have the same value of content to offer. Get back on here so I can take a break! :D

Frank, when I took a brief look at engine/trans prices I was looking under "MR2". Perhaps a much better deal is to had under the "Corolla" name as you say. But do they have a different shifter arrangement due to being front vs mid engine? Seems that would make them more difficult to install in a X?

Not that I have any intentions of doing a engine swap at all, but it is fun to talk about it. ;)

The 1st gen Mr2, 85-89, used the 4age. When adapting the front drive powertrain to mid-engine, Toyota switched the direction of the gear selector shaft on top of the trans. When using subsequent corolla trans, you have to drill a new hole and do it yourself. Or...when Lotus used Toyota drivetrain, and their production numbers being such Toyota didn't want to bother, Lotus simply made the shifter cables longer, wrapping around under the trans to hook up.

Speaking of Toyota 4age's, this is my 70 MGB GT. MGB GT Toyota engine 2.jpg car.jpg

The engine is a Toyota 4AG 16 valve 1.6 with large port head on a 20 valve block, Weisco pistons, Crower H-beam rods, forged crank, big cams, big valves. Breathing thru Dellorto 40s with an HKS variable induction manifold and stand alone controller.(see pics)
Crank fire ignition with Megajolt controller.
Toyota t50 5speed, Corolla GT-S disc brake rear axle narrowed 6" with Cusco LSD
5 link rear suspension with QA1 Carrera adjustable coil-overs

This engine pumps out roughly 170 horse.

Speaking of Toyota 4age's, this is my 70 MGB GT. View attachment 17297 View attachment 17298

The engine is a Toyota 4AG 16 valve 1.6 with large port head on a 20 valve block, Weisco pistons, Crower H-beam rods, forged crank, big cams, big valves. Breathing thru Dellorto 40s with an HKS variable induction manifold and stand alone controller.(see pics)

Beautiful car, always liked the GT version. Great job on the conversion, it certainly looks like it belongs there.

Let’s see, in the last two months I have been to Germany, Italy, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Kingston Ontario and I spent this week in three cities in the UK: Huddersfield, Cardiff and London. My first time in the UK, I really enjoyed it.

I left last Sunday afternoon and returned home Friday night. Several of the other trips involved traveling on the weekend which made them all the worse... Each trip has consumed a week or most of a week.

It’s been a busy time.

You guys seem to have done just fine :)

Last edited:
Wow, I remember about you going to Hong Kong and then LA for the reunion. But didn't realize all the rest. Hope the trips offered some fun along with the work. Looking forward to hearing more once you get back on schedule. ;)

Speaking of Toyota 4age's, this is my 70 MGB GT. View attachment 17297 View attachment 17298

The man knows his 4age, beautiful work. For my mister 2, I had a nos 7 rib block and hi comp pistons, used silvertop crank and rods (lighter, so revs more like a bluetop) smallport head with o/s valves, 264/256 cams, will be adding itb's. Great motor.

You don't think there's any chance our wives know each other...do you?

Could be, she is primarily Italian...92lbs of fire at times.

My Fiat interests have been a bone of contention. Something about 4 somewhat senseless cars.

Just a reminder for anyone still considering my car, today is the final day to make an offer! Thanks to those who've participated thus far.

The first gen. MR2 is so similar in basics to the X that I wonder what you gain by putting the MR2 motor in an X as opposed to just owning an MR2.

Maybe they want something that looks half decent ;).

To be fair, the series 2 MR2s looked ok. That said, I'd never be seen in a car manufactured by the same people who produce Camrys.:p

Back